What abdominal exercises work best?

Options
I'm really working on toning my stomach up, but what *specific* exercises do you do to work your abs? Can anyone link me to a good website that will show me how to do the exercises? I'm pretty new at this and...I need all the help I can get. As of right now, the only think I know how to do is a crunch and a sit up. I know I'll need more types of exercises than that to get all the muscles in my stomach. Please help and thanks!

Replies

• mstifb
    mstifb Posts: 230
    Options
    Bump - I need to know this too. My abdomen hasn't lost any inches! :ohwell:
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I do situps on the yoga ball. I do some of them where I take my left elbow and touch it to my right knee. I use the ab circle. I do "the 100."
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you that the best way to get abs is through heavy weight lifting, which I agree with. However, if you want to work your abs separately this is the workout I do. I have noticed a difference since starting it 2-3 times a week. Most of the time after an ab workout my abs aren't sore, but with this one I am always sore afterwards. I love it! If you don't know some of the exercises, google them. The whole workout only takes about 10 minutes.

275282595943739047_rb8dGExF_f.jpg
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Planks are great, russian twists for obliques, there are soooo many different ways to do crunches including using weights, hands above head, double crunches where you lift your butt too......just google ab exercises and seriously you will get pages of suggestions, some even with pictures and videos.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    I do situps on the yoga ball. I do some of them where I take my left elbow and touch it to my right knee. I use the ab circle. I do "the 100."

These exercises just build muscle under the fat. If you havent got rid of the fat it may make you look more round in the stomach.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I really like Pilates, which focuses on the core. Check out the Pop Pilates videos at You Tube; esp, there are some titled "beginning" level.
  • kendryk2001
    Options
    Try to find an Ab Lounge at a thrift store. I found that it helps more than a regular sit up or crunch, because the floor tends to hurt my back. Also I found that the Dirty Dancing workout also gets rid of the love handles, as you are exercising your core at the same time the butt and thighs.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The ones you do a hell of a lot of....

Lots of muscles down there. Hit them from all angles. Mix it up.
  • jallison12
    Options
    There are lots of X Minute Abs routine. A some on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNOm_ofoeWU
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you that the best way to get abs is through heavy weight lifting, which I agree with. However, if you want to work your abs separately this is the workout I do. I have noticed a difference since starting it 2-3 times a week. Most of the time after an ab workout my abs aren't sore, but with this one I am always sore afterwards. I love it! If you don't know some of the exercises, google them. The whole workout only takes about 10 minutes.

This is awesome!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The Clean. Done with a barbell. KILLER core exercise.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • womaninashoe6
    Options
    bump
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • atxdee
    atxdee Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    im also always trying to find new ab workouts, that is my problem area as well and i never get sore, might be doing it wrong
  • DetroitKilljoy
    Options
    Bump
  • SelenityJ
    SelenityJ Posts: 168 Member
    Options

This is awesome!

I do alot from this list, though there are some new ones I didn't know of and am now googling to include in my workouts. Posting this to spread it out... this is AWESOME
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I love oblique exercises for really visible whittling of my sides in the least amount of time.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I just train my abs with basic crunch routines about 2-3 x per week (8-10 minutes each workout). I do regular crunches, reverse crunches, leg lifts, Russian twists, bicycles, V-ups, and other basic moves.

This website has a HUGE list of ab exercises with links to pictures: http://www.ab-core-and-stomach-exercises.com/abdominal-exercises.html

Your diet will have an enormous impact on whether or not you actually SEE the results of your hard work though. Best wishes!!