Thinking about giving up

Options
I have only been doing this for 3 weeks now but I already want to quit. I'm 4'11" and my net calories is at 1320 but I feel like it is waaay to low since I'm always hungry. I'm not doing this to lose weight but fat around my stomach and thighs. I'm afraid if I increase my calories I'll gain more fat since my BMR is 1450 or so. Also another reason why I want to give up is because I want to eat bad and sugary food and drinks :(

Replies

• small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm really short too (5'0"), the easiest way for me to keep up with this plan is to exercise a lot so I can eat more :smile:
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    Just stick with it! I've found that the longer I kept at it, the less hungry I got/the less cravings I had. It'll work out in the long run (: And like the person above me said, if you exercise you'll lose weight faster and you can eat back your exercise calories and feel a bit more fulfilled.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Ok it's not as bad as you think

If you consumed 1450 calories a day then you will lose weight. Your BMR is the amount of calories you burn just by being alive - you would burn that amount in a coma for example

So even if you were VERY sedentary your TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure.... walking about the house, cooking dinner etc.) would be about 1.2 times your BMR. So you are already up to 1740 calories - anything below that and you will lose weight!

Add some exercise if you can and your calories can go up. Do a Zumba class or cycle or a brisk walk and you can burn another 500 a day - that will put your calories up to 2200ish before you start to put on weight!

No need to be that hungry, I found that upping my protein made me less hungry - nobody has a sweeter tooth than me but I stopped the cravings by getting some protein bars.

Is that any help?
  • emily10000
    emily10000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! If you're feeling hungry, have a good look at what you are eating because you may not be picking the most filling foods. My calorie intake is only 1210 and I'm 5'2 but I don't usually feel hungry because I've filled up on fruit and vegetables with plenty of lean protein (chicken, fish, eggs and yogurt) and limited carbohydrates (usually 1 slice wholemeal bread, small portion brown rice/noodles or some sweet potato wedges). Also, make sure you drink plenty of water because thirst is often mistaken for hunger and don't waste calories on alcohol or sugary drinks because they definitely don't keep you full. I try and do some exercise everyday to get some flexibility into my calorie allowance but you don't have to do loads, just a 30 minute jog will burn more than 250 calories giving you an extra 20% to eat if you feel hungry.

It's quite straightforward really but I think we all need reminding sometimes! Hope that helps.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit more - at least your BMR.

Do some exercise and then you can eat back those or half of those calories putting your calorie limit up more therefore being able to eat more.

Have a sugary treat each day... when I first started I craved sugary goodness like crazy and allowed myself one treat sized chocolate for dessert each day (something to look forward to and craving dealt with). Eventually it'll wean off.

If you're not concerned about the number on the scale and would rather see the fat drop off around your stomach and thighs AKA see the inches disappear, then as well as watching what you eat (Abs & flat tummies are made in the kitchen!) you should also look into doing some weight training... the inches literally will just fall off of you.

The worst thing you can do is quit all together. That would make me thing that past few weeks were a waste of time and you'll look back a year from now looking back at the same reflection as now... if it were me, I'd like to look into that mirror and see that nice stomach and legs and LOVE what I see. But you've got to stick with it, because wishing and dreaming won't get you there... YOU have to DO it yourself!
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this for 3 weeks now but I already want to quit. I'm 4'11" and my net calories is at 1320 but I feel like it is waaay to low since I'm always hungry. I'm not doing this to lose weight but fat around my stomach and thighs. I'm afraid if I increase my calories I'll gain more fat since my BMR is 1450 or so. Also another reason why I want to give up is because I want to eat bad and sugary food and drinks :(

You dont have to give up the foods you like, just do your best to cut back on them and start to make little changes that you can get in a habit off instead of a whole overhaul.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    shorty here as well :-) cut your carbs back a little bit, add some protein and fiber powders to your oatmeal, try a protein bar here and there as a snack (not a meal) replace "white" starches with things like sweet potato, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa. STICK WITH IT! :-) You can add me if you'd like, my diary is open and Im always happy to share recipies!
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Try doing strength exercises - squats, planks, etc. I found those made more of a difference to my stomach and thighs than what I ate.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You haven't found what works for you yet. It's ok to give up on something that doesn't work but keep looking for what does. I hope you don't mind some suggestions.
    *Never skip meals. This is hard for me and I get busy but later in the day it will be my downfall. Getting overly hungry effects my blood sugar, my mood and my ability to eat reasonably.
    *Eat more protein at breakfast. This was key for me. I wasn't getting enough calories or protein at breakfast and it caused problems the entire day because I never felt good. Now I start the day with a greek yogurt with 1/4 cup Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal mixed in.
    *Eat lean protein with vegetables for lunch and dinner.
    *Exercise is key when it is an honest effort. I see people at the gym all the time and they do more walking/standing around and talking than they do exercising. Be aware of your intensity level. No exertion=No effect.
    *Be patient. It took time to gain the weight and it will take time to remove it. This is the hardest thing for me as I get frustrated very easily. I go for weeks without a weight loss then will suddenly lose several pounds. I have been doing this for over 90 days and can see the pattern now.
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP, STAY CONFIDENT IN YOURSELF I BELIEVE YOU CAN DO IT! I THINK THE MORE SUPPORT YOU NEED THE BETTER:smile:
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What's great about MFP is how you can log your exercise, and then you hcan clearly see that is you exercise more, you can eat more, and still lose. So, if your calorie goal seems like too little, exercise more!
  • AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone who wrote and gave me support. I won't give up. The beginning is always the toughest right? I'm going to start exercising more and thanks for all of the food tips :smile:
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi there. My name is Doni. It is nice to meet you. I am 4'11' as well. I know how frustrating it can be when things seem to be going slow. My doctor has me on a 1200 calorie a day diet. But I had gastric sleeve surgery in June. I've lost 25 pounds since then. Hang in there and make friends on MFP. The folks here are great and they really do care.
    Good luck and God bless,
    Doni
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Never give up. When I started my journey 5 years ago, I was constantly hungry too. Your body is fighting the changes you are making and it will get better. When I started, I weighed in at 272. As of this morning, 190. You can't ever give up. One day, one step at a time.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I felt hungry all the time when I started to eat better. After a while...what seemed like a long, long , long while, I started to feel full with less food.
    If you have to go over calories, try to do it with fruit. I have no proof of this theory, but I think going over calories on fruit, has got to be better than going over by the same amount of calories in chocolate cake.
    Don't give up...even if you don't meet your calorie goals, continue to track them, and don't feel bad if you go over. Rome wasn't built in a day...take baby steps before you run that marathon.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    Exercise and eat a bit more hun :)
    I find when I exercise I'm happier and more relaxed and also sometimes I forget about the cravings.
    Drink more water, you might mistake dehydration for hunger. So have a glass of water before a meal , I find it fills me up more and I eat less.
    Eat slowly, really enjoy your food, when you eat fast, you tend to overeat as well.
    Indulging once in awhile and within limits is NOT a bad thing at all! Obviously you can't give up all foods for the rest of your life and that wouldn't really be attainable. The goal is just to eat healthier and it doesn't mean you're banned from ever having a piece of chocolate or some pizza. Just make sure you aren't binging on food when you're not hungry.

If you want to eat more, just incorporate some good ol exercise into your day, it can be anything really that gets your heart rate up. :)
    But honestly don't give up! 3 weeks is amazing progress and you're closer to your goal than you think.
  • neveradullmoment
    Options
    Don't ever give up!!! There are so many people on MFP that will be there for support!

Feel free to add me if you want!

Just DON'T give up!!

Karen
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm also super short!

I struggle ALOT with cravings and being hungry.

Let me start from the beginning... This is my 2nd go-round here. First time around I lost 30ishlbs in about 10 months. (yes, I gained it all back because I went through some crap blah blah blah)

The beginning is the hardest. Look for ways to make your favorite foods/recipes healthier so you don't have to give up what you love. That's what I did and trust me, it makes a HUGE difference in how you feel about "eating right." Find foods that you like just as much or more that are higher in protein and lower in empty calories/carbs/sugars. The more protein and fiber, the longer it will keep you feeling not hungry. Have small healthy snacks between meals to head off those cravings before they even start.

Add me as a friend if you'd like! You can do this, don't give up on yourself!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you start today, think of what you'll look like in a year?

Than again, maybe you are not ready for a lifestyle change. The good news is that we'll be here when you get back.

Good luck.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Go ahead, give up and make the rest of us look better. Wait, better yet, try filling up on lean protein and veggies. Sometimes I eat a whole steamed cauliflower mashed with a bit of butter and herbs.