Is Greek yogurt better for you? Tastier?

Options
Lately, I have heard all these wonderful things about greek yogurt. I am trying to reduce my consuption of artificial sweeteners, but I have to practically "choke" down plain nonfat yogurt, and end up putting a packet of splenda in it. Any thoughts about the greek yogurt?
Any recipes using plain nonfat yogurt that doesn't taste like a tangy mess lol?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Replies

• karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't like greek yogurt. You can try it though. I put my yogurt in smoothies or add low-fat granola.. Recipes:

1 cup yogurt
    3/4 cup low-fat granola

and a twist to the above recipe add:
    reduce granola to 2 T
    1/4 cup fruit (any kind)
    fresh mint sprig

Smoothie:
    1 cup yogurt
    1/2 c berries (any kind my fav. is banana/strawberry)
    1/2 1% milk
    1/2 t vanilla

I don't like yogurt plain either.. I get low-fat yogurt vanilla flavored... Good luck.. Maybe you will like the greek!
  • Minerva
    Minerva Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like it tons better than the standard Dannon or Yoplait. It has more protein and less sugar. It also does not upset my digestion the way Dannon and the rest of them do. I alternate between Greek yogurt and cottage cheese.:smile:
  • vanillagirl18
    Options
    I LOVE hungry-girls Buffalo Chicken dip made with Fage 0% greek yogurt. If that is something you're interested in - let me know - and I'l post it!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Lately, I have heard all these wonderful things about greek yogurt. I am trying to reduce my consuption of artificial sweeteners, but I have to practically "choke" down plain nonfat yogurt, and end up putting a packet of splenda in it. Any thoughts about the greek yogurt?
    Any recipes using plain nonfat yogurt that doesn't taste like a tangy mess lol?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Greek yogurt has more protein, less carbs and less calories then plain yogurt. I think Fage greek yogurt is yummy! If you need some sweetner you could try some stevia powder or you could buy some protein powder and mix a scoop in for added protein and flavor. Of course then you're consuming more cals but it is delicious. The best is greek yogurt, some protein powder and peanut butter mixed together. OM NOM NOM:love:
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bkroske7-thanks for the recipes, I will try the smoothie

Minerva- Oh, the protein is higher? Ok, I may give it a whirl, the greek yogurt is way more expensive (then again, in Chicago everything is expensive) so I will buy a small amt

vanillagirl18- I would love the recipe, that would be really nice!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    There are more calories...but you'll also get double the protein because the whey has been removed. Plain greek style is very tart (much like regular unflavored yogurt). I eat either Fage 0% blueberry or Chobani 0% blueberry or strawberry. I'm not a fan of it plain because of the tart taste.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i dont like natural yogurt on its own either - it tastes nasty - so what i do is mix in some honey, or if im being naughty, some melted chocolate
  • krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like to add a tablespoon or less of honey into the greek yogurt. I top mine with Special K granola (1/2 c.) It's super tasty and not tart at all.
  • vanillagirl18
    Options
    PER SERVING (1/15th of recipe, about 1/4 cup): 68 calories, 1.5g fat, 616mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, 1g sugars, 10g protein -- POINTS® value 1*

After receiving tons of emails about a famous (and fatty) Frank's RedHot dip, we HG-ized it for your (and our!) chewing pleasure. This stuff tastes JUST like Buffalo wings...

Ingredients:
    Two 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) cans 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained
    One 8-oz. tub fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup fat-free ranch dressing
    1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (Fage 0% is the best!)

I combine all in crock pot to heat up - and dip baked scoops in for a yummy appetizer!
  • melissaovadare
    Options
    PER SERVING (1/15th of recipe, about 1/4 cup): 68 calories, 1.5g fat, 616mg sodium, 2g carbs, 0g fiber, 1g sugars, 10g protein -- POINTS® value 1*

After receiving tons of emails about a famous (and fatty) Frank's RedHot dip, we HG-ized it for your (and our!) chewing pleasure. This stuff tastes JUST like Buffalo wings...

Ingredients:
    Two 9.75-oz. (or 10-oz.) cans 98% fat-free chunk white chicken breast in water, drained
    One 8-oz. tub fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup fat-free ranch dressing
    1/4 cup fat-free Greek yogurt (Fage 0% is the best!)

I combine all in crock pot to heat up - and dip baked scoops in for a yummy appetizer!

That sounds great! Thanks! do you have her bood "200 under 200"? I was thinking of getting it
  • karoske
    karoske Posts: 38
    Options
    I will try those greek yogurt. where do you buy yours? I only tried 2x and it tasted like sour milk to me. Maybe the yogurt was bad???
  • robingoodliss
    Options
    I think that Greek yogurt is the BEST food ever!!! I also have to choke down regular yogurt. Very high in protein about 14 grams per 6oz serving depending on the brand. Even the fruit flavored yogurt depite the carbs(about 20), is balanced by the protein. If you by plain and sweeten your self even better. I love the thick texture, and you can get it in full fat, low fat2% and no fat (my favorite)..My 20 month old grandson loves it as well. Give it a try!! Trader Joe makes a great brand as does Fage and Chobani. Trader Joes is the least expensive. IIf I don't have flavored I will add sugar free flavoring like the kind that goes in coffee. I also add my cereal, Kellogs high protein(yummy by the way) and some times fresh fruit. Enjoy!!
  • vanillagirl18
    Options
    Yes, I have the 200 under 200 - LOVE IT!
    LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
    I love the Lord of the Onion Rings made with Fiber one!
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I get 0% Fage or Oikos and it has 60 cals for 1/2 cup. I have to add a stevia packet though--it's just way too tangy without it. I also like to add fruit or granola. I recently made a smoothie out of it and it was delicious as well! Good for protein.
  • robingoodliss
    Options
    found it!!! Thanks
  • vrealize
    Options
    I also like the 0% Fage Greek yogurt as an afternoon snack. I used to add stevia to sweeten it, but now I can eat it plain.

For the times you want extra protein at dinner time, try a dollop of Greek yogurt in place of sour cream on your favorite (appropriate) chilis and stews. I enjoy it on dishes that have cumin and/or turmeric in them.

One of my absolute favorites, that I am making tonight:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1654648
  • melissaovadare
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am hitting the grocery store tomorrow!
  • LCB12
    LCB12 Posts: 23
    Options
    Yes its better than regular non-fat PLAIN yogurt...because it also has PROTEIN...it has less sugar than most plain non or fat-free yogurts...check the labels:bigsmile: I like it...and the texture is great almost like eating ice cream lol Fage is a great choice...

269731.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • melissaovadare
    Options
    bump
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    I love Greek Gods greek yogurt. I eat the full fat with honey kind as an occasional treat. It tastes like ICE CREAM and has a wonderful creamy texture!

YUMMM!!