Anyone else do alternate day Intermittent Fasting?

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    hmmm..i sincerely hope you rethink this plan. especially if you have any propensity to develop an eating disorder.

Sweetheart, that is the craziest thing I've ever read xx

crazy because you wouldn't be likely to develop an eating disorder or crazy because you think that the plan, in general, isn't likely to be problematic.

You shouldn't be so quick to judge. Intermittent fasting, though not for everyone, is a very healthy thing to practice. If you don't believe me, then try Googling it. It is not an eating disorder.

You don't see a problem with purposely forcing yourself to go without food? I can't imagine why people chose to endure hunger for the sake of weight loss, when it's completely unnecessary.

That's not how it works. You're misinformed. You're suppose to be counting your calories and protein intake for 2 days instead of one. For instance, if i fast tomorrow then I will normally eat 4 to 5k calories for two days.

I know exactly how IF and alternate day fasting works. Not only do I work part time at a gym as a trainer, I've got my Master's Degree in Food and Nutritional Sciences and work in the Food Industry. So please, spare me the lesson.

So how am i starving myself if I'm eating all my calorie and protein requirement in one setting? Fear monger?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/#axzz24iM2oyo1
    http://www.naturalnews.com/034704_intermittent_fasting_fitness_HGH.html
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

At the end of the day it really boils down to convenience!
    If you are cutting calories and want to have larger meals and not feel like you are eating birdfood, fast!
    I'd rather have 2-3 large meals and get **** done first thing in the morning than have to worry about eating every 2-3 hours.
    The thermic effect of food is the same.

If you do ADF make sure you up the calories on regular eating days to about TDEE or 10% below.
    This helps with the hormonal effects and will help you lose fat while maintaining LBM.
    Also, lifting makes the world of a difference!
  • adjones87
    adjones87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love food too much!lol But I have done the 3-day diet...mostly to prove to myself that I could do it. Tried it again 4 days later...Epic Fail!Haha I fast from about 12am-10am...while I'm sleeping ;) I don't know much about the health benefits/hazards of fasting, so I'm not even going there....Hope you find a group!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

If you are cutting calories and want to have larger meals and not feel like you are eating birdfood, fast!
    I'd rather have 2-3 large meals and get **** done first thing in the morning than have to worry about eating every 2-3 hours.

If you do ADF make sure you up the calories on regular eating days to about TDEE or 10% below.
    This helps with the hormonal effects and will help you lose fat while maintaining LBM.

I'm rather sure the intermittent fasting touted on lean gains is an 18:4 or 16:8 regimen NOT every other day fasting. quite a difference. I'd much rather not compromise my training by being incredibly weak on fasting days--and instead do a 16:8 or something similar so that my energy levels don't plummet and I can actually maintain strength and LBM. I highly doubt that an individual fasting every other day would be able to maintain a comparable intensity during their workouts if they are FASTING every other day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I'm rather sure the intermittent fasting touted on lean gains is an 18:4 or 16:8 regimen NOT every other day fasting. quite a difference. I'd much rather not compromise my training by being incredibly weak on fasting days--and instead do a 16:8 or something similar so that my energy levels don't plummet and I can actually maintain strength and LBM. I highly doubt that an individual fasting every other day would be able to maintain a comparable intensity during their workouts if they are FASTING every other day.

True that LG is about 16:8 but he does endorse and speak highly of Brad Pilon on ADF and ESE.
    Besides, usinf ADF would be optimal on rest days and not on lift days where you would want the nutrients.

I'm sure OP isnt lifting in the proper regimen to see any difference.
    She would probably spin her wheels trying any fasting program.

OP my advice is to find a good deficit of 15-20% below TDEE if you plan to lose fat.
    wouldnt worry about fasting unless its convenient.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i regularly go 15 or 16 hours between my last meal of the day and breakfast the next day and I'm rarely hungry during that time. sometimes i even go 24 hours ( not always on purpose) but i still try and get all my needed nutrients.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    hmmm..i sincerely hope you rethink this plan. especially if you have any propensity to develop an eating disorder.

crazy because you wouldn't be likely to develop an eating disorder or crazy because you think that the plan, in general, isn't likely to be problematic.

You shouldn't be so quick to judge. Intermittent fasting, though not for everyone, is a very healthy thing to practice. If you don't believe me, then try Googling it. It is not an eating disorder.

You don't see a problem with purposely forcing yourself to go without food? I can't imagine why people chose to endure hunger for the sake of weight loss, when it's completely unnecessary.

That's not how it works. You're misinformed. You're suppose to be counting your calories and protein intake for 2 days instead of one. For instance, if i fast tomorrow then I will normally eat 4 to 5k calories for two days.

I know exactly how IF and alternate day fasting works. Not only do I work part time at a gym as a trainer, I've got my Master's Degree in Food and Nutritional Sciences and work in the Food Industry. So please, spare me the lesson.

So how am i starving myself if I'm eating all my calorie and protein requirement in one setting? Fear monger?

Again, you've demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension skills. Please point out where I said starving is the same thing as IF or ADF. It's not the same. Starvation is the result of severe malnutrition, the result of extended caloric, vitamin and mineral deficiency. Very different than IF and ADF which are self induced short term intervals of abstaining from food with the goal of fat loss and minimizing muscle loss. Both are achieveable without fasting so why bother?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Again, you've demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension skills. Please point out where I said starving is the same thing as IF or ADF. It's not the same. Starvation is the result of severe malnutrition, the result of extended caloric, vitamin and mineral deficiency. Very different than IF and ADF which are self induced short term intervals of abstaining from food with the goal of fat loss and minimizing muscle loss. Both are achieveable without fasting so why bother?

Isnt starvation a lack of food up to and exceeding 72 hours?
    WTF is this other guy talking about?
    O.o
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

O.o

In bro science maybe but nutritional journals defines starvation as eating less then 50% your maintenance. Eating all your calories and protein in one setting is not a starvation diet until you dip below that 50%.
  • cdhindu
    cdhindu Posts: 7
    Options
    I haven't heard of this. what is it and how is it beneficial to your health??? Interesting.
    :glasses:
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

Depends on the person. I don't like eating 5 times a day because eating multiple small meals throughout the day makes me hungrier and more prone to cheat as the taste of food makes me wants to just eat more then just 300 calories at a time. Having to put something in my mouth every 3 to 4 hours triggers my taste buds and it's almost like an addiction that is hard to control when it occurs 5 to 6 times during the day.
  • Need2bfit918
    Need2bfit918 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87936.php hopefully i posted this correctly but this article talks about some of the research and benefits of fasting
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

Depends on the person. I don't like eating 5 times a day because eating multiple small meals throughout the day makes me hungrier and more prone to cheat as the taste of food makes me wants to just eat more then just 300 calories at a time. Having to put something in my mouth every 3 to 4 hours triggers my taste buds and it's almost like an addiction that is hard to control when it occurs 5 to 6 times during the day.

It sounds like you may have a mental disorder if you're affraid of losing control while you eat. A person that has a healthy relationship with food shouldn't be comparing eating to having an addiction and having a hard time to stop eating after tasting something. And it's those types of fears of eating which can screw with people mentally and lead to eating disorders.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87936.php hopefully i posted this correctly but this article talks about some of the research and benefits of fasting

The researchers themselves stated that the findings did not prove that fasting is the cause of reduced CAD, and that there are many other factors which weren't controlled, nor were the test subjects randomized. There were so many flaws in the trial design it's a complete joke.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

O.o

In bro science maybe but nutritional journals defines starvation as eating less then 50% your maintenance. Eating all your calories and protein in one setting is not a starvation diet until you dip below that 50%.

So if I eat 50.01% of maintenance, I can avoid starvation mode? That sounds more like bro science to me.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Anyone that thinks you can't train fasted probably hasn't tried it. People have been fasting for religious purposes for a very long time without adverse effects. Look at the studies done on athletes that were fasting for Ramadan ... and they couldn't even have water. As long as I am hydrated I can keep up with anyone I normally train with whilst I am fasting and they are not.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

It sounds like you may have a mental disorder if you're affraid of losing control while you eat. A person that has a healthy relationship with food shouldn't be comparing eating to having an addiction and having a hard time to stop eating after tasting something. And it's those types of fears of eating which can screw with people mentally and lead to eating disorders.

Ad hominem. What eating disorder are you talking about and what does "healthy" mean? Is there a definition in any nutritional journal that as a clear cut definition of eating "healthy"? What you don't seem to understand is that there are many diets on the market ranging from PSMF, IF, Victoria Secret Diet, South Beach Diet, Aktins Diet, and the traditional eat 5 times a day diet. So which diet works? They all do because each and every single diet on the market has a success story. What matters the most is finding a diet that works best for the person as there is no such thing as a magical diet.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Oh dear! If you do something different than me, you may develop a disorder and it's probably unhealthy! I better tell you about it! Let me spew my dogma!

I've tried several forms of IF. They all work great for me. I've done Alternate Day Fasting. 48 hour weekend. Warrior diet. Lean gains. I like them all.

I train fasted. I'm having great results considering I'm on a cut.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Anyone that thinks you can't train fasted probably hasn't tried it. People have been fasting for religious purposes for a very long time without adverse effects. Look at the studies done on athletes that were fasting for Ramadan ... and they couldn't even have water. As long as I am hydrated I can keep up with anyone I normally train with whilst I am fasting and they are not.

Who said anything about not being able to do fasted cardio?
    Of course it can be done.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

O.o

So if I eat 50.01% of maintenance, I can avoid starvation mode? That sounds more like bro science to me.

Nope, it's referred to as a semistarvation diet. I'm pretty sure it's defined in this research paper below and when I get my password tomorrow, I'll skim through it to see what it says. (That's assuming that my school has a contract with this journal.)
    http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.nu.07.070187.002341