Advice and Motivation? Choice in gym?

Options
So I joined MFP a few months ago. My goal was to lose at least 30 pounds before college started. I was doing really good, I lost about 10 pounds in the first month. Now college is right around the corner and I'm stuck at about 217-218. I really want to eat healthy, but I've already accepted that I just don't like vegetables. I do eats fruits here and there, however.

See, what I used to always do was eat unhealthily very often. I would go into the kitchen whenever I was occupied with something and I'd get a small bag of chips (those mini ones you usually give kids for lunch) or some other snack. I'd do that quite often in the day.

Since I joined MFP, I've pretty much stopped that snacking thing. On the occasion that I do decide to snack, though, it's usually something that's really low-cal or small.

Last thing, where would you guys recommend going to exercise? I'm talking gyms. I want a place that's rather inexpensive (I have money, just no job atm), but still welcoming and encouraging. I don't want a gym where there will be people or trainers who will mention that I'm fat; as if I was there for some other reason.

Thanks so much,

Travis

Replies

• LatentColors
    Options
    Bump. I won't bump again. I guess it's not that important xP
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I joined the YMCA and try to go for an hour long swim five times a week. You said you "just don't like vegetables" and "eat fruits here and there". Diet is extremely important. What are you eating?
  • Cait2286
    Cait2286 Posts: 29
    Options
    I joined snap fitness and i love it! I don't know if there is one by where you are but they are open 24/7... key card to get in after staff hours. Its $35 a month.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    With regards to veggies,what I'd suggest is looking up different ways to prepare them, and see if you like them prepared in a certain way. I love fresh broccoli, but I hate it cooked. As for gyms, I like 24 Hour Fitness. The only thing I don't like is that the one I go to is starting to get worn down and desparately needs to be remodeled. I've talked to trainers there, and they never come out and say "you're fat" and instead, ask me what my goals are. I've never been harassed to get a trainer, other than the usual sales pitch that they have to do at times.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Please check this out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map

You can find a lot of people who eat plenty and lose weight and a lot of them prescribe to a IIFIYM mentality so you don't get bogged down with what you can't have or feeling like you're failing if you're not eating only veggies.. Maybe that will help you slowly change your eating habits and stick in this for a longer haul.

As for a gym, it really depends on your area. You might even find some really great deals with big gyms (no enrollment fee or personal trainer sessions thrown in, etc.) Just start searching on Yelp or something to find reviews and/or go tour places. Negotiate ... just because they give you a price doesn't mean they're not willing to throw something in or make a deal. They're all about sales, just like any business.

You can also find a ton of stuff you can do at home with your own body weight:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    Of course, Google is your friend here, too. You can find videos and instructions on most any type of exercise out there.

Please don't get hung up on what other people will think of you at the gym, though. Trust me, I know how mentally taxing it can be to think you're being stared at or made fun of by others, but 99.9% of the time, people are there to do their own thing and don't give others a second glance. And I speak from experience - I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer and it was both the hardest - and *best* - thing I have ever done. You are doing this for you. Screw what others think!

Good luck!!
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    Why not just go to the gym at your school... its free
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Slowly introduce vegetables to your plate and palate. Try cooking them a different way, mixing them with recipes, raw, etc. Slowly. It's all about changing our eating habits.
    I've learned that people at the gym are not there for anyone but themselves. They don't wanna chat, they're not there to look cute, hot, sexy, whatever. They're there to work out. I just told myself "I'm here to better MYSELF. This fat chick is going to sweat, stink, and burn a hell of a lot of calories!" And I did! :bigsmile: You can do it too! You can do anything you set your mind too!
    There are a lot of at home fitness programs available as well! I use a variety of them, and have had wonderful success! Please feel free to add me to your friends list for daily motivation and support.

Sara :flowerforyou:
  • LatentColors
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've read all your responses, but I guess it's nothing I haven't already been told. This just isn't easy ><
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You mention that you're starting college. Is there a gym on campus that you can access or one nearby that gives special rates for broke college students?

As for veggies, I have to admit, I'm not a fan of all of them. However, I love mushrooms so I put them on everything. I have salads a lot - they're easy to transport to school. My recent love is spaghetti squash. I never used to know what to do with them in order to effectively cook them, but I've found some recipes online and now crave this more than pasta noodles. Weird, huh?
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are located. I go to our rec plex center. Its only about 30/month and all the classes are free but the spin classes. So just be sure to check around for prices and what it covers. Some gyms can get pretty expensive paying for the addtional classes. Good luck!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Most of the trainers at the "Y" where I work out are quite professional... I am sure there are jerks around but most of them are there to HELP you... not judge you. That being said, you mentioned that you would be attending college soon. You may want to try the gym at the college. Many schools open their gym to their students to encourage them to work out. You may also take a Phys Ed class to get used to the equipment. I encourage you to do what it takes to get in shape and create a lifestyle that will sustain you for many years ahead.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I was super intimidated about joining a gym, but I sucked it up and joined Planet Fitness. It's cheap, $30 start-up plus $10 a month and an annual maintenance fee, and it's super no-frills, but most importantly it was actually pretty welcoming. The staff at the front desk has been nothing but sweet to me, and there are always ALL different types of people there, at all levels of fitness.

I agree with the posters who said people in the gym really DON'T CARE about you. They're there for themselves, and unless you are stinking up their space (yeah sweat smells and that's fine but sometimes people either skip deodorant or try to replace it with cologne/spray and that's just obnoxious) or otherwise making a pest of yourself, they aren't even sparing a thought about you. So don't worry about them either.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've read all your responses, but I guess it's nothing I haven't already been told. This just isn't easy ><

Don't get discouraged. While it isn't easy, nothing really worth having ever is. If you're having trouble getting started, I would suggest starting small and letting your successes snowball into something larger. Don't worry about being perfect. It's an impossible goal. Just try to be better today than yesterday and better tomorrow than today. It's impossible to fail if you do that.

Maybe start this week by being more active. I think walking would be a great start. Grab your mp3 player, turn on your favorite album and walk until it's finished. An album is typically close to an hour. Do that every day and log all your food for the week. That way you'll have a week of activity down and a good baseline of how you eat.

Once week two starts think to yourself, "I've got a week of activity down. That wasn't so bad. What can I do better this week?". Maybe start modifying your food intake. Instead of ice cream, have frozen yogurt. Substitute a bottle of water with a flavor packet for a soda. Have a grilled chicken with a small fry instead of the mega cheeseburger with large fries. Each time you do this, make sure you realize that each of these decisions is a step in the right direct and a victory. Once you start tasting victory, it becomes addictive. You can do this.