My target calorie and Exercise

Options
Sorry this is a newbie question. So my target calorie is 1200/day to lose 1.9lbs/week.
But when I burn Calories by working out, the calories i burnt makes my target calorie/day bigger.
Is that part of the plan to still lose 1.9lbs/week? :blushing: :blushing: :drinker:

Replies

• klsdwn
    klsdwn Posts: 54
    Options
    You can eat back your calories and still plan to lose weight. I don't always eat back my calories though, and the weight loss is just a bit quicker that way. Just my experience/opinion!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yes - especially for a young man like yourself.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    yes, you eat back the calories you've burned and your deficit is still accounted for
  • Dandawa
    Dandawa Posts: 97
    Options
    I was not eating back n had a week w no lose. So now i try to eat back hallf n im losing better rate.
  • Cait2286
    Cait2286 Posts: 29
    Options
    I always thought it was burn more then you take in? I always try to keep my net calories slighly higher then my food calories.
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories either and I lost weight faster but not too fast, so that is a good thing. It also depends on your activity level for that day depending if you exercising every day or just three days a week, best wishes.
  • jonodiel
    Options
    thanks for replying guys! usually would get around extra400-500 cal per day from exercise, but im trying not to go too far over 1200 "orig target"

so this is how i understand it now. My target is 1200 without going to the gym. After i burn around 400-500 calories. 1200 turns to 1600. and if i dont eat back the calories i burnt from working out. results should be faster than my regular 1.9lbs/week target.

hehe just making sure! Keep it up guys and girls! this app is the best!
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    MFP calculates how much you are allowed to eat based on how many calories you would burn if you just lay in bed all day. So obviously, if you're working out as well, you burn more calories in a day meaning that achieve the same target net (total calories eaten-total calories burned) calories you can/have to eat more calories without worrying. I eat back some of my exercise calories but not all of them, and it's a hotly disputed topic, though just remember that MFP exaggerates exercise calories sometimes and underestimates food calories sometimes.
  • jonodiel
    Options
    yea thanks for the reminder! its working for far. just trying not to be too OCD about being exact.. :smile:
    MFP calculates how much you are allowed to eat based on how many calories you would burn if you just lay in bed all day. So obviously, if you're working out as well, you burn more calories in a day meaning that achieve the same target net (total calories eaten-total calories burned) calories you can/have to eat more calories without worrying. I eat back some of my exercise calories but not all of them, and it's a hotly disputed topic, though just remember that MFP exaggerates exercise calories sometimes and underestimates food calories sometimes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is awful low for a 24-year old male, especially if you'd like to hang on to some of your lean body mass (muscle). You might want to check out Dan's first post in this thread and work out a realistic calorie estimate for yourself:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You'll retain more muscle and suffer a lot less (i.e. less hunger) while you're losing weight.