How do you stay strong when getting sick

Options
I am worried that I am getting a cold and worry I will loose the progress I have made so far with my cardio and strength. I want to work out but worry that it will make me sicker faster or worse off. If I am getting sick how long do I have to wait before I start working out again?

Replies

• Lille16
    Lille16 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi. I think that if you tell yourself that you are losing strength, then you will feel weak. If you reframe that and tell yourself that your body needs time to become stronger, you will feel stronger with better cardio, in good time.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling run down or sick I eat at maintenance for a few days to make sure I'm getting enough energy and to help keep me on track so I don't gain or get out of the habit of logging - hope this helps :flowerforyou:

EDIT: to address the question regarding exercise - a couple of days off won't result in a massive loss of fitness, but near the end when you're starting to feel better, ease yourself back into your workouts (you might find that sweating it out helps a little bit).
  • powership00
    powership00 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When you get sick your immune system is fighting the battle on the inside. If you continue to work out you assist the virus by wearing down your immune system from the outside (workout). Remember that your diet is the main reason for your success and if you lower your calories to compensate the lack of working out, you are also screwing your immune system soldiers.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    You may regress a little because of sickness, but that's normal. Regaining back strength after a short illness, doesn't take long.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • farroz
    farroz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When you get sick your immune system is fighting the battle on the inside. If you continue to work out you assist the virus by wearing down your immune system from the outside (workout). Remember that your diet is the main reason for your success and if you lower your calories to compensate the lack of working out, you are also screwing your immune system soldiers.

That makes sense
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I think you take it a bit easier but don't use it as an excuse to do nothing. This is not a free pizza and icecream vacation. Eat what you need (100% healthy stuff) but mostly drink lots and lots of water. As for exercise, take the cues from your body, but don't use it as an excuse. I am up multiple times a night with a teething baby and if I let being tired stop me I would never exercise.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You're better than me. When I'm sick, I'm in total pity mode and eat whatever my body wants. However when I'm sick my body usually doesn't want what it could be fed. Haha! I'd say don't be super strict, but don't go crazy if you're really worried! :)