Any other Lap Banders out there?

Options
So through talking to my mother I joined MFP just as a means to log calorie intakes and things like that... BUT then I got to thinking. I had my surgery a little over a year ago, with GOOD results (Not great) but I was looking to get into contact with other people who had the surgery... get your thoughts on what you guys do on top of the fills to help facilitate weight loss.... other than the obvious eating healthy (which I am... Paleo diet ftmfw) plus a little motivation would be pretty amazing.

So, anybody out there?

Replies

• blanketgirl
    blanketgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Edenar,
    I too have a lap band - I have had it for ten years lost 60kg and have since put back on 20kg.
    Thats the weight Im aiming to get back too. One of the big problems I have found is that diet groups and even MFP say that I am not eating enough, but after ten years of tiny portions eating is hard!
    I lost most of that weight without excersising, but now I have found that I have to really push myself and excersise hard! Which wasnt really what I expected when I had the Lap band - thought it would be just cruisy!
    I also found that I do drink a lot of calories - hot chocolates, cappacinos and fizzy drinks- limiting them has helped me again.
  • Edenar
    Edenar Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Edenar,
    I too have a lap band - I have had it for ten years lost 60kg and have since put back on 20kg.
    Thats the weight Im aiming to get back too. One of the big problems I have found is that diet groups and even MFP say that I am not eating enough, but after ten years of tiny portions eating is hard!
    I lost most of that weight without excersising, but now I have found that I have to really push myself and excersise hard! Which wasnt really what I expected when I had the Lap band - thought it would be just cruisy!
    I also found that I do drink a lot of calories - hot chocolates, cappacinos and fizzy drinks- limiting them has helped me again.

Yeah, that seems to be my issue too... I don't eat a LOT anymore, but MFP has me at 2700 calories but when I log everything in (even though i'm STUFFED) i'm always super low. I don't drink a lot of calories anymore, I've been limited to just water, i drink raspberry tea and soda very rarely, but... My weight loss has seemed to plateau then just stop. Looking for some kind of change
  • blanketgirl
    Options
    If I eat my daily calories I WILL put on weight!!! Our bodies are used to living on very little.
    The two things that work for me are not eating after 7pm and excersising.
    Is your lap band tight enough??? When I started putting on weight again I was ashamed of going and getting it tightened, which compounded the problem. Are you having any reflux??? How much of your excess body weight have you lost?
    Hang in there - It can happen its just different for us :-)
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Up your protein.
  • kimberlyrayburn
    kimberlyrayburn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I Just had the gastric sleeve on aug 24,2012 and also love those high calorie drinks like hot chocolate, frappes,sweet tea, and sweets in general. How did u overcome eating them afte ur band was in?
  • Edenar
    Edenar Posts: 7
    Options
    I Just had the gastric sleeve on aug 24,2012 and also love those high calorie drinks like hot chocolate, frappes,sweet tea, and sweets in general. How did u overcome eating them afte ur band was in?

For me it was sheer willpower. Like I said, here and there I drink a soda or a rasp tea but 99% of the time it's water. I look at it as "Do I really want to have that soda? Or do I want to reach my weight loss goal?"

Weigh pros and cons in your decisions. And mom2dms I'll keep that in mind. Do you know essentially how much I should take in?
  • blanketgirl
    Options
    I am really trying to up the protein - I have become a protein addict - am thinking I may have to try a protein shake??
    For the drinks - sometimes I have them when the craving becomes too much - but I go for a hot chocolate with skim milk, makes it a little better. Sweets I don't bring into the house. Although I used to be a complete chocolate addict and now a block could last me months or I forget its there so tastes can change!
  • emma313823
    Options
    Hey there....I had my surgery in May and have lost almost 58 since I started it all. You can add me as a support person if you would like...and check out my blog http://myblogz.us/mylapbandjourney
  • blanketgirl
    Options
    Thanks Emma I will do that :bigsmile:
  • blanketgirl
    Options
    Hi Emma,
    Just read your blog - You have done amazingly well!!! Also love the two recipes...Will give them a try soon.
    Would love to see a before and after pic of you :flowerforyou:
  • misspastry
    misspastry Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I think that the lap band and all those other surgeries are the easy way out! How about getting some willpower and getting off your *kitten*!!!
  • adshabrack
    adshabrack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my lapband surgery in Oct 2008, and went from 340lbs to 257lbs for a total of 83lbs. Unfortunately, I have put back on 33lbs, and am struggling to lose it again. I have tried everything from WW to hiring a personal nutritionist / trainer, and I just keep yoyo-ing about 10lbs. I am hoping to try this and see how it works.