Does anyone agree with the rule : No carbs at night ?

Options

Replies

• ugot2luvlana
    Options
    "Any time is a good time for pie." - Fabian, Pulp Fiction.

I concur.

Lol! I almost ran for my pretzels, you made me want to snack again
  • ugot2luvlana
    Options
    In Bob Harpers Skinny Rules he says no carbs after 2pm. I tried it for a week.and lost 5pounds. It was pretty tough though so I just stuck to salads w / chicken or fish!

I tried it but it was stressful to always think about what to eat and on top of that I am a picky eater :(
  • ugot2luvlana
    Options
    I stick with 'No women at night'

My boyfriend and I died laughing at this one
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Most fitness trainers are echoing BS that's bee spoon fed to them through the fitness industry and bro science. Actually research and study hasn't confirmed nor supports the BS.
    Here's how you get fat...............you eat more than you need to. The whole BS of eating after 7-8pm happened because DINNER was supposed to be the total calorie limit, but some people ate after that and gained weight. Duh. Of course the gained fat because they EXCEEDED their calorie limit for the day.
    I just ate ice cream an hour ago and will probably snack one more time right before 12am. Been doing this for years because I actually follow calorie limits and not gorge on food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ugot2luvlana
    Options
    No. I'd rather die. Bedtime PB&J FTW!

^.^
  • daish007
    Options
    I do not agree either, however portion size.....
  • ugot2luvlana
    Options
    Most fitness trainers are echoing BS that's bee spoon fed to them through the fitness industry and bro science. Actually research and study hasn't confirmed nor supports the BS.
    Here's how you get fat...............you eat more than you need to. The whole BS of eating after 7-8pm happened because DINNER was supposed to be the total calorie limit, but some people ate after that and gained weight. Duh. Of course the gained fat because they EXCEEDED their calorie limit for the day.
    I just ate ice cream an hour ago and will probably snack one more time right before 12am. Been doing this for years because I actually follow calorie limits and not gorge on food.

IDEA Fitness member

If I ever show my father this he'd cringe at your reply. He would have battled with you for days. But the logic that you have presented to me makes sense especially because Im on this website AND NOW counting calories because of it, and Ive never done that before. You definitely have a great point.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    No, nope, nah, nada, nep, no way 'jose.

Calories out > calories in. Meal timing means diddly squat.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I just had an apple with peanut butter and a peach and some blueberries. So I think I'm gonna go with no...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

If I ever show my father this he'd cringe at your reply. He would have battled with you for days. But the logic that you have presented to me makes sense especially because Im on this website AND NOW counting calories because of it, and Ive never done that before. You definitely have a great point.
    You should show it to him. In the beginning of my career, I believed the BS too. Then I actually started doing some actual peer reviewed research and found that NONE of it was factual but based on anecdotes and bro science. It's time the fitness industry quick BSing people and be up front.

IDEA Fitness member
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Obviously there is no biochemical reason why you shouldn't want to eat carbs at night, but I think the reason why this conventional wisdom survives is that it is probably good advice based on how many people eat. If you have a tendency to snack unnecessarily in the evening on chips, etc, while you are relaxing in the evening, it can be a good rule to simply avoid them. You are less likely to cook a chicken or some bacon because you are bored and want to munch. Following this heuristic also helps people avoid sugary desserts.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    carbs from veg, nuts, some fruits, and dairy? sure.
    not at night? why the hell not?
  • milkyskinn
    milkyskinn Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs at night. Every day. Even if my dinner was high carb! I really don't believe in the whole 'eat at night gain overnight' thing, for it's BS. If it fits in your calorie/macro goals for the day, it's fine.

I think the reason why this ever came up in the world of weight loss is because people tend to be more tempted to eat more unhealthy carbs at night. (think potato chips, ice cream, chocolate, candy...)
    Another reason I do is because my workouts are usually in the evening (usually I'm done around 9-10pm) so getting hungry between 10-11pm is pretty much inevitable and I can't sleep on an empty stomach.

What I do is just choose healthy carbs (I always have some protein with it, though! like yoghurt or a bit of sliced deli turkey) like some oats with yoghurt, some dark, fiber rich ryebread, or some light wheat crackers topped with something that has a lot of protein.
    I'd personally rather not eat too much protein/fat at night (like nuts) because even if I have worked out, they're harder to digest, while carbs can get digested more easily even when you're asleep. But everybody's different :)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I got busy and ate my dinner at 9pm last night. I ate a potato with my lentils and zucchini. I weigh less this morning. So my theory is that eating carbs at night cause weight loss. Just kidding (but not about my dinner at 9pm)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat too many before bed because I've read that insulin and HGH don't exist well together, so insulin limits HGH production. Still looking for better evidence on that.
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I keep my carbs low anyway but for the folks I coach who want to cut carbs,thats where I have them start. Just cutting the carb at dinner/ later in the evening (pasta, potato, rolls etc...) for a couple of weeks with regular exercise, you will see a difference. It worked for me and it's worked for folks I help.
    Of course everyone is different and it may not work for you. This is my opinion. I only take in around 125 grams a day. I limit all man made carbs and try to get my carbs from veggies, fruit etc..
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    I just baked cookies and ate two.
    are cookies carbs?

hahaha LOL!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Nope!! I've eaten them right before bed and It's never effected me!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I like what Bob Harper has to say about it in his book The Skinny Rules. Carbs are meant to give you energy, so if you eat them in the evening and just sit around and then go to bed, then that energy gets stored (converted into fat). So it's better to eat "fuel" food throughout the day, when you need it for energy.

The problem with that example is that it only focuses on that event in isolation, the eating of the carbs and the going to bed.

It misses out everything that happens afterward and everything that happened beforehand, ie total energy balance.

Your body is constantly storing and using fat, not just at night.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/carbs-at-night-fat-loss-killer-or-imaginary-boogeyman.html
  • snappled
    snappled Posts: 48
    Options
    I don't know all about the carbs talk and why its not the best for you

but

my food dairy doesnt call for a lot of them so i dont eat a lot of them

i have my carbs before 10:30 am except for banana carbs.

DONT WANT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD BUT

are banana carbs bad? they cant be,right?