Kettlebell

Options
Okay, I don't even know if it's one word or two hahaha

Anyways, went from being in a grocery store breaking down trucks and stocking dry groceries to produce to basically doing not much of anything for 2 years (due to injury).
Anyone who's ever done time on a grocery stock crew knows what kind of pace it is, and that defines me perfectly, I've always been really aggressive in doing things and working and such.

I've never worked out that much, weights and stuff, just worked and played a lot of sports, been pretty active all my life.
Baseball I was 2b and CF, batted leadoff or low in the order, WR/CB in football, Guard in basketball, so needless to say I am built like what you would imagine for those positions...definitely not a muscle head haha

So I'm getting myself back in shape, took up walking and hiking, threw the baseball and football with the kids, swimming, went back to it like I had never left. Same level of activity.

My wife introduces me to kettlebell, I go into the first workout all gung ho and HOLY CRAP!
I was sore for three days haha
This was last week, I'm gonna give it another go tomorrow, have to say it's more difficult than I thought it would be.
I chose it because it was suggested as something to strengthen my muscles after my neck injury, and success...my neck felt really good afterwards (I have to be careful with what I do these days, never know what the wrong thing will be to hurt it sometimes).

Anyway I'm really liking this kettlebell workout.
I've spoken to some people on twitter that do/have done the workout, and gotten some advice, just thought I would see what the MFP crew had to say about it.

That, and I've just started posting here, so I need something to talk about with you peeps :p

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebell workouts! I have a great kettlebell DVD that is pretty cheesy, but you definitely feel it afterwards (and the next day).

Good for you for getting started again! Make sure you stretch the next day and maybe do something low impact, like taking a walk, to loosen your muscles up!
  • ScorpionReaver
    Options
    That's some great advice :)
    I walk nearly every day, at least 30 minutes but usually an hour, got a loop I walk around the property here over and over.
    Got a big hill that's about a 45* incline for part of it, and some measure of hills on all of it. It definitely loosens me up haha
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's a great workout. I go to classes twice a week at two sessions a time.
    Can't seem to get enough.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    LOVE kettlebell! Yea, the first couple of times I was so sore! But, just like Lora said, stretching and something low impact will help. I did stretching and stationary bike. Kettlebells do work!
  • Bealach_Bug
    Options
    Just started going Kettlebell classes a couple of weeks ago. Love it. I know I've had a workout afterwards!
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Power-systems.com has great prices on kb's and free shipping 4-5 times a year if you want to pick more up. I have sets of 25# up to 50# then a 40kg and 44kg kb. Lots of fun, wait until you find out about the 10,000 swings in 30 days challenge
  • Emeraude1983
    Emeraude1983 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do you guys log your kettlebell workouts in MFP?
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I like kettlebell a lot! It's a great core work out. Now, if I can ever get the hang of the Turkish Getup, I'd be happy.

When next day soreness settles in we call it "Toilet Sore." Disgusting I know, but it describes it perfectly since it hurts to get up and down. I guess we could call it "Office Chair Sore" too, but it wouldn't be as fun.

I use a HRM and Calorie Burner, so I create my own workouts in MFP based on my calorie burn.
  • ScorpionReaver
    Options
    Someone looked up an online calculator, the numbers they came up with were comparable to what I've been doing: take the total workout time and count it as strength training with weights AND low impact aerobics.
    It works for now, but I do plan to get a heart rate monitor as soon as possible.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting back into shape.

Check out http://www.dragondoor.com/ There's a ton of good info on that site. Also Steve Cotter has a bunch of great instructional videos on You Tube.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells. I've also seen many newbies with really poor kettlebell form. I think a lot of it is that they act like it is an upper body workout when it is all in the hips. Definitely look at dragondoor.com and artofstrength.com.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    This guy has a couple of dvd's, one beginner using a single kettlebell and an advance one that uses two. I own them both and really like them. He also has a lot of youtube videos. The advance dvd is a tough challenge, at least for me.

http://www.mbodystrength.com/
  • razzyv
    razzyv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What weight kettlebell would you start with??
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been doing KB workouts for a couple of years now. Love it! Learning proper form is very important when starting out. Get a DVD, go to a class, or visit a KB site to learn the techniques. Have fun!
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    An average woman would want to start with 15-20 lbs, a stronger woman possibly 25 lbs. I think 25 lbs is generally the starting average male weight.
  • eduardo_d
    eduardo_d Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Love kettlebell and you will be VERY sore after the first 3-4 workouts. After your body adjusts it really feels great.

I log kettlebell workouts with my HRM. Word of warning: be careful swinging the bell not to hit your watch. That has happened to me.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    And although you should learn not to bang your wrists, I found that cheap tennis wrist bands work well as a cushion. I had some bad bruises when I first started.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I got this contoured kettlebell that does not bang the wrists as much.

Free shipping at Best Buy and it comes with a DVD that demonstrates good form for beginners.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoFit+-+20-Lb.+Contoured+Kettlebell/2971411.p?id=1218433079017&skuId=2971411&st=contour kettlebell&cp=2&lp=3
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I have been thinking about picking up kettlebells for a while, since I don't have room for a weight set, and I need to augment my kickboxing with some form of weight lifting. Seems like it would be cheaper to buy one or 2 kettlebells than a second membership to some SNAP fitness or whatever so I could lift for 20-30 min twice a week. Biggest issue is I don't know what to start with.
  • ScorpionReaver
    Options
    An average woman would want to start with 15-20 lbs, a stronger woman possibly 25 lbs. I think 25 lbs is generally the starting average male weight.

I wouldn't recommend that...did some research, found that 7lbs was a good starting weight.
    Especially for someone like me just getting back into things, & having never done a workout of this sort before.
    As sore as everything was after that first session, I think I made the right choice.
    An average person starting with 25 lbs is begging for an injury.