Alternative ab exercises??!!

Options

Replies

• bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Someone else mentioned the Ab Ripper from p90x , here is a site that has the exercises from that video. This is the routine I do (I am working on Abs, Hips, and Thighs)

On this website I do 25 of the... (http://2012lastfatyear.blogspot.ca/2012_01_01_archive.html)
    -In and Outs
    -Bicycles
    -Crunchy Frogs
    -Scissor Kicks
    -Hip Butt Ups
    -Heels to Heavens
    -Kayakers

Then I also do
    -Crunches
    -Leg swings (x25) (sit on the edge of a chair with legs straight out and swing them up and down alternately)
    -Wall Squat (30-60 seconds)
    -Plank (I add 25 leg lifts while in this position) (http://weightloss.allwomenstalk.com/best-exercises-for-a-perfect-butt/18/)
    -Leg lifts (laying on your side, I do a set (25) lifting the top leg and then a set (25) lifting the bottom leg)
    -Push Ups (usually about 15-20) (I do them on the stairs for now until I get more strength to do the real ones, lol)
    -Burpees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjCgoa7C01M&feature=related) Skip to about 3 minutes 40 seconds for an example
    -I jog up stairs (10 minutes)
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all these great responses.
    Yeah my wrist isn't a problem for planks.
    A lot of these exercises I don't know what are, and I can only do the 'at home ' ones ( single mum, young kid)
    But I'll look them up and get on to it.
    I like to have some variation
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yea, def check out the ones I posted, they are all ones you can do at home, no equipment needed (I have 2 little ones I am home all day with so I actually do mine at work overnights on my breaks). 8-)
  • babenes
    babenes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to do reverse crunches, cable crunches, or hanging leg raises.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    planks and leg raises
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yes, as suggested look for clips from Ab Ripper X (from P 90 X). I have done that workout 2x a week for several months and it is killer. The whole thing together is really intense and hard for a beginner, but it can give you many examples of various things you can do.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    abdominal straight leg extension

abdominal bicycles

crunches

mountain climbers

abdominal arm-leg reach

scissor kicks

elevators

ab crunch w/ a chair

ab crunch ball with knee lift

ad crunch legs extended up

You should be able to youtube these to get instructions
  • Sweet_Mama81
    Sweet_Mama81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into Chalene's Ab Jam...part of the Turbo Jam workouts. 10 mins standing abs workout and 10 mins on the floor.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises do seem to be number one for completely made up exercise names.
  • Chris_Anne
    Options
    Hi Ebony, I couldn't say whether a different brand would do the same as I have only ever used Slendertone...
    I always thought they were a scam too until I went to 'Professional Beauty North' and got the opportunity to try before I buy.
    I am a nail technician by trade but had a go of the demonstration and was really shocked at how much they crunch your abs so I bought one and have never looked back.......as I said before I am on my fourth one now but that is in ten years and I personally believe they are worth every penny and they definitely do the job once you work up to the highest intensity.
    I bought the thigh and bum one but sent it back because it wasn't easy to get on and off whereas the toning belt simply velcroes around your waist and you can carry on doing whatever you do around the house whilst having your abs crunched for 30 minutes....I wouldn't recommend driving when wearing it because it really does crunch those abs....I have recommended them to quite a few of my friends and they love it too, I have only had one friend who did not like it but to be honest she only dare try it on a low intensity and at that level it just tingles...... I always have mine on the highest setting and it works a treat, infact, if i've missed a few days then I have to have rest days inbetween because I ache too much the next day
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    And machines
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LiZmzqcOCE This is my absolute favorite. It doesn't hurt my back or strain my neck and it certainly doesn't bore me at all.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    http://randomabs.com/today/
    This site'll definitely give you variety as they have a different program each day - there are videos of each exercise so you know what to do.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Planks...prone jacknives...wood chops...most other weight lifting moves and strength training get your abs as well (you will know because you hold your core tight and you will feel it working to maintain proper positioning and posture).
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Nearly all weight training exercises will strengthen your core muscles if done properly. With every lift concentrate on tightening your abs while doing your lift. Squats, pull ups, and push ups are some of the best ways to work your abs without doing ab work.

Everyone else has already mentioned most of the other exercises you can do for your abs, except vacuums. You can do those anywhere, several times a day, by just sucking in your gut, and holding it for about 30 seconds. I don't think they are as effective at working your abs as the other exercises, but they are easy to do, and can help in strengthening your core.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Cool I'll just trail and error to incorporate qls and psoas and the others . I I think about their actions u can usually work out exercises. Just interesting and helpful to see the ones everone else is using :)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Core strengthening exercises IF you have a stability ball:

1. lay on ball with belly, hands on floor to steady, lift both legs straight and high behind you as high as you can (called prone hip extensions)
    2. lay on back on floor, put heels on ball, lift butt to the ceiling as high as possible and hold there for 1 minute do in sets of 3 or more
    3. put feet on ball next and do #2 but now in a bridged position (bent knee vs. straight leg)
    4. lay on ball on belly and do superman (balance with arms and legs out and hold)

That's all I'll post for now since I don't even know if you have a ball. GL.