check that scale from time to time

Options
I went to the fitness center where I work and used their digital scale. My home scale came used, from Salvation Army. I discovered that my home scale is 10 pounds off!! AAAUGH. Instead of losing 52 pounds, I've only lost 42. Instead of having 10 more pounds to go, now i have 20 more to go!

Check your scales from time to time. Go in to a reliable place--most doctor's offices will let you use theirs, and most gyms have them. Wear a certain set of clothes to that scale and your home scale. Compare!

Glenn

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    But how do you know what the correct start weight was then? How do you know the gym one (used my many) is correct?
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i would agree with comment above. your scales my have showed a different starting weight, so dont put yourself down. that being said i had my scales in my bedroom, and it turns out its slightly angled and affected my scales so told me i had lost more than i had.... so make sure you aren't weighing somewhere that is slightly slanted etc! try and weigh downstairs!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    my neighbours and mine are off by about 10 lbs...but as long as you are consistant with the same one it will be fine...

plus if you were to have checked on that scale to begin with you would have been 10 lbs heavier so you still did lose 52lbs...

and 52lbs is a great loss!!!! CONGRATS
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea. However, make sure you aren't being to hard on yourself. Maybe you really do just need to lose 10lbs more not 20. How are clothes fitting? How's your energy level? I have been lifting heavy for the last 2.5 months and have lost minimal weight but my body fat has been significantly reduced. I'm more energetic and have dropped almost 4 pants sizes in that time alone. Take care! And continued good luck on your journey!! :happy: :drinker:
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    yeah me too i weighed at the neibhors weighed 6 pounds more but luckly for me i heard the meowwwing whew false alarm i had only sat on there cat he was tangled in my g string
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I think if you stick to your one scale you still have lost 52lbs! That decline on your scale can't lie -- maybe you would have been 10 lbs heavier if you would have used the gym one from the get go.

My scale is 10 lbs off my neighbours and the gyms - but the one at work is bang on. So I only record and 'trust' what my home scale says.

You still kick butt, so keep at it.