Lifting Heavy, Moderate Cardio, WTH happened?

Options
According to the lovely scale, I put on 5 lbs over the weekend. Although I know that is highly unlikely, my pants are also TIGHT this morning. I have been lifting heavy for about 2 weeks now, 3 days a week. I do cardio, Run/Walk 30 minutes 3 times a week. I eat around 1400-1600 calories a day. I drink 2 protein shakes a day, 1 for breakfast and 1 ater my work out. I guess I am just a little discouraged. Have any other ladies dealt with the same thing? I know healing muscles retain alot of water, but this seems excessive and I would assume healing muslce water retention would not make my pants too tight.

Replies

• kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    it is probably just water retention, make sure you are getting enough fluid. just stick with it, eventually it comes off
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    it is probably just water retention, make sure you are getting enough fluid. just stick with it, eventually it comes off

Yep. I can fluctuate as much as 10 lbs with heavy lifting. Just wait it out and it will pay off!
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt the only one "gaining" like this. I guess I have changed some, there was a time that if i saw a "gain" like that on the scale, I would have given up but today, it just makes me want to push harder at the gym tonight.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a low calorie level if you are lifting heavy and doing cardio. you need to fuel your workouts or you are going to lower your metabolism and it will be hard to build much muscle. I quit weighing myself when I started lifting heavy, or at least weighing myself very infrequently because the scale isn't very accurate when you are putting on water weight and muscle due to lifting. Going by how your clothes fit is good, but not just for one day. Hopefully it's just water weight and will come off soon!