Where's everyone from? (And food too!)

Options

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm from Louisiana.

The food anywhere else in the world SUCKS.
  • ValRAAAAY
    ValRAAAAY Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Atlanta, GA in the US.

the Southern US (Southeastern, really) is notorious for frying EVERYTHING. We are the same part of the country that created Fried Oreos, Fried Snickers Bars and Fried ________.

Knoxville, Tn in the U.S.

DEEP FRIED TWINKIES!!!!!
    They've also deep fried BACON on occasion...and....AND....Macaroni and cheese!!!!!
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    Another Dutchie here :wink: !!

I actually don't care for a Broodje Kroket that much, but I LOOOVVVEE stroopwafels...

24_stroopwafel_blik.jpg
    stroopwafels.jpg

Yummmm... KEEP THEM AWAY FROM ME:noway: !!

PS: about 155 cals per piece and it's never just one... *sigh*...
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Texas here!

Tacos, Tacos, Tacos!
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm from Glasgow in Scotland. My country has a reputation for deep frying everything in batter and binge drinking. This includes battered pizza and chocolate bars, I kid you not.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm from Maine, USA, and my downfall is by far Whoopie Pies!
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Russian - hearty borscht, pelemeni, perogi, delicious chocolate, venigrette, homemade kompot...oh man don't get me started.
  • stacypepper
    stacypepper Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Born & raised in Texas... TEX-MEX!!! cheesy, saucy, spicy deliciousness. nom nom

And don't forget the barbeque....anything slathered in sauce and thrown on a grill is what we Texans love (or this Texas girl!).
  • taratam83
    taratam83 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Maryland, USA

My local faves -- Scrapple... Berger Cookies...

Cant get the picture of the cookies to work... darn. LOL here's the website - http://www.bergercookies.com/
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I live in England. My father's Austrian and we lived in Vienna for a few years when I was growing up. I haven't been back for a few years but when I do go, I have to have wiener schnitzel (but made with pork, not veal) with kartoffelsalat and a couple of ice-cold beers!

As for English food - it's not native but it's become a British institution - it has to be curry. I'm clever with my calories to ensure I can go out for a curry once a week and I'm currently addicted to the local restaurant's naga special chicken curry - usually with saag daal and a naan bread.

I'm also a bit of a cheese freak - we've got a fantastic cheese shop in the village which I have to avoid for the most part but I go and stay with a friend every few months so I'll stock up on local cheeses before I go and we'll spend the weekend eating our own bodyweight in cheese and washing it down with copious quantities of red wine! That has to be a very occasional treat though :-)
  • nc_moon_beam
    nc_moon_beam Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    North Carolina... born and bred....

Deep-fried anything is native.

Barbeque is a noun and always pork.

Biscuits and meat (sausage, ham, fried chicken, fried steak, bacon... etc.)

Whole milk

Liver pudding (which is actually yummy)

But my favorite is a red ripe tomato just off the vine, with Dukes mayonnaise.
  • rickthexpreacher
    rickthexpreacher Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm from the UK and I've so many food 'addictions' I don't know where to start;
    Beer battered fish and chips with shedloads of tomato ketchup on the chips and some mushy peas.-now I'm hallucinating!!:laugh:
    Pork pies- the hot water pastry is sooo good,but if you blink 100 calories enters your body, and a small pie about 3 inches circumference is about 450 calories
    Cornish pasty- large wrap over puff pastry containing minced lamb, potato slices, onions, turnips, peas. carrots. Another in the 400-700 calorie range.
    Steak and kidney pie- beef, kidney, onions, beef gravy all encased in hot flaky pastry. Served with peas and boiled potatoes.
    Sausage roll. Large Lincolnshire or Cumberland sausage encased in puff or flaky pastry. Calories can be off the Richter scale.But so wonderful with brown sauce.

Now, someone remind me. Why am i on the site?:laugh:
  • WhatHayleyEats
    Options
    I'm from Manchester, England! And a typical example of British food, that I love to eat, is fish and chips! Oh. My. Gosh. So delicious. But my favourite food is pizza with pepperoni and jalapenos and I eat waaaaaay too much of that!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Im From the USA- California, but my blood line consists of Mexican/Italian: so tortillas and pasta are my down fall BIG TIME lol
  • WhatHayleyEats
    Options
    I live in England. My father's Austrian and we lived in Vienna for a few years when I was growing up. I haven't been back for a few years but when I do go, I have to have wiener schnitzel (but made with pork, not veal) with kartoffelsalat and a couple of ice-cold beers!

As for English food - it's not native but it's become a British institution - it has to be curry. I'm clever with my calories to ensure I can go out for a curry once a week and I'm currently addicted to the local restaurant's naga special chicken curry - usually with saag daal and a naan bread.

I'm also a bit of a cheese freak - we've got a fantastic cheese shop in the village which I have to avoid for the most part but I go and stay with a friend every few months so I'll stock up on local cheeses before I go and we'll spend the weekend eating our own bodyweight in cheese and washing it down with copious quantities of red wine! That has to be a very occasional treat though :-)

Fancy cheese and good red wine is one of my favourite snacks, too! I love double Gloucester with herbs&chives and any cheese which is spicy!
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Was born & raised in Illinois, and the staple out there is sweet corn....but I always go back for Monical's Pizza, which started my love of pizza!
  • joy4life48
    Options
    Most of my ancestors are from Italy...so of course any pasta or pizza is my downfall. I love them both so much...CARBS!!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Illinois, USA here. I literally live in cornfield! Our local foods are as fresh as you can get. We have fields and fields of pumpkins, peas, green beans, corn, popcorn, cabbage and soybeans. I know the farmers and we can have all we want of the veggies as long as we don't waste it. Win win!
    A lot of people hunt and eat the cornfed wildlife like deer, rabbits, squirrel (ick), and turkey. My husband and son hunt ducks and geese but I won't eat it. We hunt morel mushrooms in the woods every spring. We fish and fill the freezer up with fillets to enjoy all winter and to have a family fish fry or two. I also garden and grow green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, sweet potatoes, potatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, raspberries, apples, melons, tomatoes, jalepenos and a variety of herbs. I also have a few citrus trees that I keep in the house over winter. I've picked hundreds of oranges over the years.
    So,, I guess the only weird thing eaten here would be squirrel. To me they are tree rats. lol
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    I am from New Jersey and I would say a proper tomato pie is a big downfall for me. It is a pizza with the cheese on the bottom and the sauce and toppings on top. Sooooo good.

As far as heritage, my father was from Switzerland and you have not lived until you have been to fondue fiesta on Christmas Eve at my mom's house. Cheese fondue and chocolate fondue are amazing! We are not taking about that crap from the Melting Pot. Oh and spaetzle and rosti too, yummm.

My mom is from West Virginia and I would say that her chicken and dumplings and her creamed chipped beef is killer. Again, this is not some diner garbage!

And yes, I totally agree that softshell crab sandwiches are amazing.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Was born & raised in Illinois, and the staple out there is sweet corn....but I always go back for Monical's Pizza, which started my love of pizza!
    Where did you live in IL? I'm not far from Pekin and we LOVE Monicals! lol