anyone from Key West? -not weight loss related-

Options
SherryR1971
SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
Just curious what the job situation/economy/living is there...I am seriously thinking about moving and that is my first choice...thanks!

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Just curious what the job situation/economy/living is there...I am seriously thinking about moving and that is my first choice...thanks!
    What do you do for a living?
    If you are into the tourist industry then it is a great place.
    Other then that....
  • SherryR1971
    Options
    I am a trained Admin Assistant...but have worked in banking and retail sales previously so I can adapt lol
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a woman recently that was raised there, she said it was a really ****ty childhood. Not much to do on those tiny islands for kids etc.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    property is very expensive on any of the keys
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a woman recently that was raised there, she said it was a really ****ty childhood. Not much to do on those tiny islands for kids etc.

^^that and it truly is a HARD place to find a job. employers tend to hire locals over new people, and it takes a long time to become a "local" If they're not hiring locals, they're hiring military spouses.

Also, , their schools suck
  • digitalbill
    Options
    Fatal is correct.
    While it is nice for grown up's, the lower keys is really not very kid friendly. The beaches, in a word, suck and there are not really any parks to speak of.
    Do you mind if I ask why you decided on Key West?
  • SherryR1971
    Options
    I want to go somewhere there is warm weather as many months as I can get it!! I hate being cold, and I'm in Virginia... :( Plus, if possible I want a beach within walking distance...that is my sole reason for choosing Key West-I am really just starting to research my options
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The beaches suck, the mainland beaches are much better.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    look into Key Biscayne, it's expensive too but is probably more what you are looking for
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    As a Key Rat I hated having to cross three bridges to get into the city, if I was raised on Key West I probably would have lost my mind of boredom.

Or just become a Keys drunk.

Seriously, living on an island is pretty weird. If you want to move to a warm place with a beach nearby, there are better choices. Living so far - and it is VERY FAR - from land is incredibly isolating. There isn't much for kids to do down there. There isn't much space. Things are expensive, very expensive. With a single road that is two-lanes-only for much of the way, traffic jams are unbelievable. If a monster hurricane brews up, you risk getting washed out or being trapped on the 7 mile bridge during an evacuation. If there's an evacuation period, you're pretty much SOL trying to get out on that road.

Unless you're planning on being on a boat more or less constantly, I would not recommend living in the Keys.
  • digitalbill
    Options
    I want to go somewhere there is warm weather as many months as I can get it!! I hate being cold, and I'm in Virginia... :( Plus, if possible I want a beach within walking distance...that is my sole reason for choosing Key West-I am really just starting to research my options
    OK..
    You started as far South as you can possibly go.
    With your criteria, please allow me to offer up a suggestion.
    I currently live in Lake Worth, Fl. While I am not within walking distance, I AM within bike riding distance. One of my reasons for being this far (seven minute drive) from the coast is because the insurance rates are MUCH cheaper West of I-95.
    You can still find a place east of I-95 for a good price however, you will pay for it dearly with higher insurance.
    As far as weather goes, with the exception of a stint in the Army, I have lived here my entire life. It snowed exactly twice since I have been here (42 years).
    Once in 1977 when I saw snow on the windshield wipers of my Dad's van and then last year there were reported flurries in West Boynton beach.
    We do have four seasons here.
    Hot
    really hot
    not quite as hot
    winter.

Anyway, thats all I have for now.
  • SherryR1971
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses!!! I am learning a lot!!
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Yes -

Admin Asst are hard jobs to find down here. but they are around. However be prepared for $10 an hour (maybe more). The cost of a nice 2bd on the island will run about $1800 per month. You can go up the Keys a bit to find them a bit cheaper. Do NOT live on Stock Island if possible. Electricity is pretty high- looking easy $200 a month and gas is just under $4.00 a gallon right now.

Key West is very touristy and has very busy season and very dead season. Marathon, Islamorada or Key Largo may be options too (not sure of your situation).
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options

a beach?? Only one decent beach in Key West and its close enough to bike to from just about anywhere on the island. But if you want an actual beach the Keys is not where you want to be. Go up to Miami or Ft. Myers. The Keys is more about being out in/on/under the water or drinking on Duval.

If you want a really nice beach - try the Florida Panhandle. Gorgeous white/ sugar sand beaches. The weather is great all year. Still gets chilly in the winter so you can still dress in cute boots, scarfs, light pea coats, but not cold enough to have a completely seperate winter wardrobe!! Navarre, Ft. Walton Beach or Destin would probably be ideal fo ryou. Oh and the job market is much better!