Where's everyone from? (And food too!)

Options

Replies

• clbilardo
    Options
    Philadelphia, PA...home of cheese steaks, soft pretzels and scrapple...need I say more? :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm from Philippines but I'm of mixed Spanish-Mexican (Andalusian to be exact) & Filipino background so I'm also a mutt when it comes to food. So for me its taco, fajita, quesadilla, burrito, ceviche mexicana, guacamole, paella, callos ala madrilena, calamares, gambas de ajillo, kare-kare & some Filipino pastries like puto (filipino food for rice cake) & suman (kinda like puto but is made from sticky rice).

However I don't eat rice everyday & if I do, its only once a day.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Was born & raised in Illinois, and the staple out there is sweet corn....but I always go back for Monical's Pizza, which started my love of pizza!

Hey, midwest Illinois here too!! Got a Monical's pizza in my small town, and they are now doing $10 pizzas every Monday. Anything you want on them!! So Monday is our pizza night!!
  • LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Memphis, TN here, which is known for BBQ. I love me some BBQ myself, but I make it at home with lean meat and homemade no sugar BBQ sauce.
  • tntlong2012
    tntlong2012 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm from Northern Michigan and we are famous for being over wieght! I think it's because it gets cold here and we love our carbs. I'ts like comfort food for the long winters.

I personally am not a carb person, love my protien and desserts! Mexican food is one of my favorites.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am from Newfoundland, Canada.

I would say that my downfall was Salt Beef. Yup, Beef, cured in Salt. I think one 100g piece is something like 3600mg of salt. It's mostly cooked with white potatoes, and some other veggies and stuff ("puddings" but not like any creamy Jello kind or anything lol) and referred to as "Jiggs Dinner" . I still eat Jiggs Dinner, I have just adjusted it so it's not so bad for me lol.

Our biggest downfall is salt. We add salt to everything!! Salt Beef, Salt Cod, Salt ______. Traditionally it was done to preserve our food, and while we no longer HAVE to use it to preserve food, I think we have grown fond of the taste lol. I refuse to cook with it, but almost all of my friends and family use it while cooking, and then drown their food in it after it's on their plate.

Amen..Fellow Newfie! :)
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    im from montreal but my parents r from italy..

Montreal! d'la bon poutine.. feve au lards yumm sirop d érableee OMG!!!

Italy..anything italian lol but the actual Italian pizza is my fav!
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Small town Iowa here. (USA, midwest)
    So many things that are so good but not exaclty native. My favorite meal would be mid summer.Grilled steaks, perferably from a local cow (like your own or in our case a neighbor raised them), and fresh sweet corn. Never better than going to the field and picking it an hour before you cook it and eat it!

MMMM..... Love fresh sweet corn!!!
    Iowa here too, my son-in-laws family raises our beef and I work in a grain elevator where the farmers keep us supplied during sweet corn season! Add some fresh sliced tomatos to that plate and I am in heaven!
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options

My mother came from the Quebec province, and I remember her using salt pork in her baked beans. Is that the sort of thing you are describing? I'm vegetarian now, but I vaguely remember this from my childhood.

Yes ma'am, that would be along the same lines. Though, unless you shop at a Newfie Store, you can't find Salt Beef anywhere else. We're one of a kind lol. Speaking of pork, another big thing is scrunchions, which if I remember correctly (I've never used it) is pure hard fat from pork, we then fry it (in butter or more fat lol) and add it to other unhealthy dishes. Gotta love traditional foods!
  • LuisZav
    LuisZav Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm hispanic. We are all about our beans and chorizo! 2 things I try and stay away from now.
  • caitles14
    Options
    I'm from Buffalo, NY, so we are notorious for chicken wings! With bleu cheese, NOT ranch. Blech. Although I'm a vegetarian so I don't even eat them anymore, but I still put Franks Hot Sauce on everything to get that "buffalo chicken" flavor ;)
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota - the land of hotdish. Mmmm...tator tot hotdish. Delish.

And beer. Mmmm...beer!
    I just made Tater tot hot dish the other night. Lol.
  • iwork4pepsi
    Options
    I am from Northern Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, Illinois, USA. My biggest downfall was consuming 1,000 or more calories from my energy drinks and soda. I quit both of them and will never go back! Water is my new "drinking buddy"!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy! Where do I start? I was born and raised primarily in Michigan, USA, although I spent a few years of my early childhood in South Carolina, USA. I moved back to South Carolina as an adult, and I have been here for about fifteen years now.

Food weaknesses? Well, if it's bad for you, it's probably a weakness. Not really a big fan of fast food, though I did eat it alot just for the sake of convenience (I'm single and don't like cooking for just me...it's depressing). My favorites, though, are pasta dishes, breads, Chinese food (Americanized version), any American homestyle cooking (fried chicken, mashed potatoes, meatloaf, fried fish, etc...), TexMex, homebaked goods....like I said, if it's bad for you, I love it.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    I'm from Buffalo, NY, so we are notorious for chicken wings! With bleu cheese, NOT ranch. Blech. Although I'm a vegetarian so I don't even eat them anymore, but I still put Franks Hot Sauce on everything to get that "buffalo chicken" flavor ;)

I make a Buffalo Chicken Soup that is FAAAAANTASTIC! Planning to make some for my Carolina Panthers' season opener. Yeah, I'm bad. :devil:
  • jcstanton
    Options
    I'm hispanic. We are all about our beans and chorizo! 2 things I try and stay away from now.

I use chorizo in my chili instead of plain ground beef....yum!
  • ritalef
    ritalef Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, we Dutch are also good at this: Dutch cheese and Bitterballen!!

Yummmm....
    ugggh I grew up in a primarily Dutch town in Ontario. Oliebollen was always my biggest weakness. To top it off, my boyfriend is Dutch and thus it makes a nice little appearance at his parents cottage.

Oww, oliebollen!! Yummm!!

Born in Canada, but parents immigrated from Holland, so of course brought up with spiced gouda, krokets, oliebollen and my all time favourite, gebakjes!! Mm--mmm so bad, but so good! Oh, and don't forget the dubble zout dropjes. Double salted licorice, my non dutch friends just don't understand! And there is a Dutch deli in our small town, so the fixes are close by.
  • Mrs_sexobeat
    Mrs_sexobeat Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i'm from russia.
    the food that we have is delicious and fat.
    of course food that's delicious is basically bad for you.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Born in France, raised in Massachusetts.

I could LIVE on lobster, mussels and corn on the cob.

For the French side - foie gras or escargot - that's a rare treat.
  • ritalef
    ritalef Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    oh, and forgot to mention boerenkool met worst. Kale has been a dutch staple forever and now is the vegetable go to for vitamins. Mind you ours was mixed with mashed potatoes, butter and the best sausage ever!