Shoe brands!

Options
Hey everyone. I'm finally going out to buy a new pair of running shoes. I hate shoe shopping, but the plastic is starting to poke through the back of my current pair. What brand shoes do you guys buy, and are there brands you would recommend against? I've done Nike, New Balance, Avia, and Reebok before and they're all ok, but was looking at other brands since so many shoes are hideous this year. Do any of you have Saucony or Ryka shoes? Are they any good?

Also, has anyone tried out the Saucony Grid Cohesion 5 or the Nike Flex Trainer 2? I was looking at those specifically yesterday. My running is mainly indoors.

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My best shoes have always been Nike's ... I've heard great things about Asics though.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Really, you should go to a running store (not a chain at the mall!) and get fitted. Everyone has different needs.

Nikes are awful for me, but great for others. My favorites are Brooks, but I'm currently wearing Asics. I was fitted for both at different stores.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    New Balance and Asics
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Really, you should go to a running store (not a chain at the mall!) and get fitted. Everyone has different needs.

Nikes are awful for me, but great for others. My favorites are Brooks, but I'm currently wearing Asics. I was fitted for both at different stores.

If I really needed to I would spend the extra money, but just buying normal running shoes at the store has worked well for me in the past.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have always had Nikes. I wasn't too impressed with the last pair I bought that were 180$. I will be looking for a different brand my next purchase.
  • AJayHubs
    Options
    Nike Free Runs
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting fitted at a running store.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    oh boo, it's about sneakers.

haha I got all excited.
  • rml_16
    Options

If I really needed to I would spend the extra money, but just buying normal running shoes at the store has worked well for me in the past.

That's fine. But they aren't any more expensive at the running stores.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I second going to a running store. You'll drastically reduce your chances of getting injured if you get real, fitted running shoes. They are different for everyone. I ran in generic Nike's for years, but haven't been injured once since switching to (professionally fitted) Brooks Adrenaline years ago.
  • darthkitty
    Options
    It's an uncommon brand but as someone who's struggled with their weight all their life, which means a lot of running shoes, I live by Pearl Izumi. They are light weight and amazing!
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Anyone else have thoughts on shoes from the store? I appreciate the input of those who suggested fittings, but it's already been given as feedback a couple of times, and now I'd like to hear more about brand specifics.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Anyone else have thoughts on shoes from the store? I appreciate the input of those who suggested fittings, but it's already been given as feedback a couple of times, and now I'd like to hear more about brand specifics.

I think you're missing the point. Most of us said what brands WE like, but what works for one person may very well not work for another. Just because Brooks is a good fit for me doesn't mean it will be for you.

If you've have great luck before, why not just get what you've gotten before?
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options

I think you're missing the point. Most of us said what brands WE like, but what works for one person may very well not work for another. Just because Brooks is a good fit for me doesn't mean it will be for you.

Even though I love the Reeboks I'm currently wearing, there are different shoes this year and bets are I won't like a lot of them. So I want to know if people like shoes by Saucony, or Asics, or Ryka, or any brand I haven't worn in the past couple of years (I haven't had a pair of New Balance shoes for a few years). I'm just asking for personal opinions on shoes that did work for them. Or if there are brands they had negative experiences with when it comes to current shoes. I don't really know why it's wrong of me to ask how other people feel about them.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have New Balances, which I love (I have wider feet so the Asics sadly are a wee bit too tight on me).
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Nike run narrow on me.
    New Balance has been my choice for several years now.

Different on ever person though. I also think you should go to a real shoe store and be fitted...preferably by someone that actually puts some miles on their shoes.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have Saucony Omni 10s and LOVE LOVE LOVE them!! I compared them to Asics and liked these better, although it was close. I didn't like the New Balance at all.
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have just recently gotten a pair of New Balance runners and they are GREAT!!! I can already tell a difference in the amount of support as compared to also recently purchased Nikes and Pumas (both runners). They almost feel like i am not wearing any shoes because they are so light.
    Good luck!
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't mention adidas but I really like them. I over pronate a lot therefore I have to buy shoes with a pronator in them but they of course have all types. I also have wide feet and bunions and they work well. They wear really well too.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I second what she said. But, I'll give you my take on some shoes. I run 15-30 miles a week. I'm 5'9 160 lbs and I am a neutral pronator (your weight and height is important when picking shoes, as is your gait). I currently am running in New Balance road minimus for short runs (3-4 miles), Brooks pure flow and trances for long runs (6-15 Miles) and new balance trail minimus shoes for my trail runs. I have had asics and new balance for running, but my last pair of NB kept making my left foot go numb on runs longer than 4 miles...which is pretty much all of my runs. not a fan of nike for me. My sister LOVES her asics and I don't know which type. She is currently training for a half marathon. My husband, sister in law, neighbor and another good friend LOVE their brooks. I love mine. Like super love both pairs I have.