Ignoring Calories???

Options

Replies

• angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Most types of yogurt and granola (while obviously not the worst foods by any means) wouldn't fit the bill for me in the above type of diet; they would be more of a treat food in my opinion. Both typically have a fair amount of added sugar.
    [/quote]

That is true, but if you are eating store bought, sugar filled granola, you are not eating clean. Store bought granola is loaded with sugar. You can make your own and control how much you use. Plus, I use honey instead of processed sugar.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I'm not looking to over-indluge or do anything extreme. If I have a day where I eat toast for breakfast, a mid-morning snack of yogurt/granola, lunch of fish/chicken with steamed/grilled veggies, afternoon snack of fruit, dinner of lean meat/veggies I will end up right at or over my calories. That means no nuts instead of fruit, or no milk with breakfast or I go over my calories. I have hit my goal weight, I enjoy working out about 4 times a week, and I don't have any issues with serving sizes or portion control.

Why don't you eat the yogurt with granola AS your breakfast, instead of a snack (that's a normal meal). Eat a peanut butter sandwich for lunch, etc. Substitute the foods you like for others. Then you don't have have to add it on.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You should be able to eat these in the suggested serving sizes and stay within your calorie range.

Dump extraneous grains (this includes even granola in some instances) and opt for more protein and fiber.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    That is true, but if you are eating store bought, sugar filled granola, you are not eating clean. Store bought granola is loaded with sugar. You can make your own and control how much you use. Plus, I use honey instead of processed sugar.
    For sure! I was just assuming that most people would be eating store bought granola and flavored yogurts. These sound like clean, healthy foods I think, to many people, and they can be if done right, but have a surprising amount of sugar, as much as cookies, in the most store bought versions. For me, honey doesn't affect my weight any differently than white sugar (although I like the taste a little better) - similar amounts of sugar, calories, and carbs.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I'm not looking to over-indluge or do anything extreme. If I have a day where I eat toast for breakfast, a mid-morning snack of yogurt/granola, lunch of fish/chicken with steamed/grilled veggies, afternoon snack of fruit, dinner of lean meat/veggies I will end up right at or over my calories. That means no nuts instead of fruit, or no milk with breakfast or I go over my calories. I have hit my goal weight, I enjoy working out about 4 times a week, and I don't have any issues with serving sizes or portion control.

If you've hit your goal weight, you also shouldn't be at 1400 calories a day.

Drop the toast if you are having a problem getting under calories for one- you don't really need it. And look at your portions because you really should be able to fit these things into 1400 or more calories.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also have a recipe for granola that is to die for...so you can still have granola when eating clean :)

I'd love that receipe. I've never tried granola but it sounds lovely!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds every day. Give up something with less nutritional value and add in almonds a couple times a week!
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    you could just increase your intensity on your work outs.....so you burn more and it opens up more for high density caloric food.

that doesn't always mean you have to work out longer (cause I know time is always an issue for many) but just harder.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be trying to make excuse for eating what you want rather than what you should.

As most people have said, health foods in too high quantities will still lead to weight gain. Lots of people eat yogurt and almonds and whatever else - they just pair them with other foods in ways that they still hit their macros. It's not hard, just takes a little learning when you are first getting started.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Time to raise your calories then perhaps. Try moving to 1600-1700 cals for a while and see how you feel. 1400 is a bit low for maintenance in my opinion.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Only you know what is going to work for your body. It can't hurt much to try out smarter choices for a week or two, and you'll be able to tell if it's working for you. Although the site is based off of calorie tracking (in AND out), no where does it say you can't make adjustments for your lifestyle. Be aware of what you are eating, move more, and you should be good to go.
    And if you notice a slowing of your loss, or even a gain, it's easy enough to start tracking again. If you are only going over by a small bit, why not add some cardio? Take a walk in the evening, or swing by the gym for a quick session.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

over-indulging is indulging too much, which is what you're doing if you're going over your cals due to indulgences. Figure out the things you enjoy the most, then surround them with other foods that fit into your macros. Don't cut out the foods you like the most in favor of foods you like least. That doesn't make much sense, and will be harder to sustain long term.

Have the yogurt instead of the toast... that kind of thing.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    First, why are you eating only 1400 calories when you are already at a goal weight - more or less? Are you 5 foot nothing? Because any 30 year old woman needs more than 1400 calories as a base.

Are you exercising? If yes, then you need even MORE calories. Rework your goals here to "Lose 1/2 lb per week," which is where you should be set. Eat the exercise calories. You'll have plenty of room for a small snack of nuts and yogurt and a sprinkle of granola.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Yes, it's called clean eating. I don't count calories, I aim to eat 5-6 small meals a day (5 on non workout days, 6 on workout days) and I just manage portion sizes. I've lost 5.6 lbs this last week.

Clean eating still leads to weight gain if you're eating too much. Similarly, weight loss can be achieved on an all McDonald's diet, as long as your cals are where they should be.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It's really just about portions. I was on 1300 calories for some time. Still try and aim around there, and I ate a lot of peanut butter. I can't give up the stuff I like just because I'm limiting myself.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Oh and I also have a recipe for granola that is to die for...so you can still have granola when eating clean :)

I'd love that receipe. I've never tried granola but it sounds lovely!
    yes me too! post if you have time :)
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I try to include a half serving of nuts on a regular basis, at least on work days when I can use 6 almonds as a mid-morning snack and maybe 6 later at night when I'm starving while cooking dinner. If not almonds, I'll eat cashew halves & pieces because you get more per serving than whole cashews. Then again, I'm one that does eat pretty much what I want in moderation & not everyday, as long as I stay within my daily calorie count. It's working for me.
  • arock1000
    arock1000 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Advice for yogurt/granola - Eat vanilla yogurt with Kashi Go Lean Crunch - 1/2 cup each is 190 cals. They are awesome together! I'm not a huge greek yogurt fan and normal granola has too much sugar. I wish there was less sugar in the yogurt but I don't eat it every day.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I usually eat fat free greek yoghurt and add fresh fruit and honey to it. I even add dried fruit sometimes or just have plain honey and yoghurt. You can eat yoghurt and calorie count at the same time. I am not sure about Granola, I don't really eat it, but like a poster said before, make your own and that way you know what is in it. Good luck!
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Girl, I eat handfuls of almonds all day long & they aren't hindering my loss. Don't deny yourself the things you love, especially a combo so ridiculously healthy, like yogurt & almonds. You're missing out on so much lean protein, amino acids, probiotics, vitamins & minerals.

That combo is chock full of nutrition, calories schmalories, balance those nutrients instead.