Cybex Arc Trainer

Options
So who has worked out on one and what did you think? I have been walking on a treadmill (ellipticals hurt my knees) 2 miles a day and I decided to try out the arc for something new tonight. I usually do 1 mile at 3.0 2x's when I work out with a break for upper or lower body work. I can't really get faster than a 3.0 right now and it takes a while for my heart rate to get up there.

When I tried the arc out tonight I was sweating and had a good heart rate right away. On the treadmill I usually feel like my lower legs are doing the work but the arc was working more of my upper legs or so it felt like.

The arc also said I was burning WAY more than the treadmill usually does. It said I could burn like 800 calories an hour (yes I put in all my stats I weigh 370).

So basically thoughts anyone? Have you had success on an arc trainer?

Replies

• bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

The arc also said I was burning WAY more than the treadmill usually does. It said I could burn like 800 calories an hour (yes I put in all my stats I weigh 370).

Yeah, it's great isn't it?!!!
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • AllDayMzAmberJ
    AllDayMzAmberJ Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Love the Arc Trainer - and yes it does burn a lot of calories. It's a great cardio workout
  • LNZimmer
    LNZimmer Posts: 94
    Options
    I thought I was going to die on it :)

In a good way of course. haha
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have done it while using my heart rate monitor and the arc was pretty accurate based on my hrm readings. Might not be the same for everybody but for ME it was.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I love the damn thing LOL Luckily, my gym has 10 of them and I get lucky enough to be able to grab one when I feel like it.
  • nettej1021
    Options
    I use the Arc trainer everyday!! I absolutely love it, and yes it does burn a lot more calories, in one hour, I burn 900 calories, and I enter my weight to try to be as accurate as possible. I also go up a level every 2 minutes, to get a really good work out in.. I wish I had one at home! It is rough at first, but the more you do, the better it feels!
  • JenRLo
    JenRLo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's my go to when I'm short on time because it's a much more intense workout than the normal elliptical or treadmill. Actually sometimes I need to stop working my arms to get my heart rate down a bit. I can't last longer than 30 minutes on it. I usually use level 8. I like the workout it gives my entire legs. I would be interested to see someone with a HRM that has used it. I'm a little cautious about the high cal burn too.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    I love love love the Arc Trainer!! I've lost 17 pounds by a combination of weight lifting and using the arc trainer. My favorite setting is Interval 1:2. I would do two thirty minute sessions on it on lifting days, and at 177 - 180 pounds, was burning up to 700 calories plus. However, I only used this as an extremely rough estimate, and I also don't eat back my exercise calories. Still a great machine to help the joints while getting a great cardio workout at the same time. As an emerging athlete in a physically intense sport, I let the Arc Trainer help build my cardiovascular stamina without pounding on my joints, like I would have been on a treadmill - I could also sustain a higher heart rate better on the Arc. Now I have practice three times a week, so I mainly get my cardio in during that time, but on breaks from university I will definitely be using it again :drinker: .
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love the Arc Trainer! I always put the incline really high, so I can work my glutes really well! Great machine, and great workout!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I do the Cybex Arc Trainer several times a week. The machine calorie count is high -- I have a Polar HRM which uses my age, weight, VO2 max and fitness history to determine calorie burn and it is much less than what the Cybex Arc Trainer says. That said, it is a GREAT tool - bring the incline up to max (20) and add some resistance (25-30) and you will greatly increase your burn. One of the best things about it is that the machine has a built in fan! hahaha Have fun and good luck :):)
  • WendyA1119
    Options
    I love love love the Arc Trainer. I kick up the incline and resistance and burn like 900 cal in an hr. My trainer told me it burned the most calories out of any of the other cardio machine so it's a staple in losing the 45lbs I had to lose. I am 18 down since I started MFP in June. :)

Good luck!

Wendy
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to see someone with a HRM that has used it. I'm a little cautious about the high cal burn too.

I have a Polar FT60 HRM which uses age, weight, VO2max and HR and I find the burn reading on the Cybex to be very inaccurate. FWIW: My HRM actually reads that I burn about 60% of what the Arc Trainer says.....
  • abrewer563
    abrewer563 Posts: 122
    Options
    I absolutely love the ARC trainer, well as much as you can love something that kills you. :tongue: I feel like I get a much better workout from it than the elliptical or treadmill!
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue too. I was always told to set the weight on the machine for 20% below what your actual weight is to get a more accurate reading.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love the Arc trainer! I use it for my steady state cardio, as well as HIIT training. I like it at Level 8 x 35 resistance for steady state, and Level 6 x 45 resistance for intervals. It doesn't make my toes go to sleep like the elliptical can.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Great piece of equipment, at my gym the triathletes use it, a guy who does ultras uses only the arc trainer and then runs outside but for cardio burn he says the Cybex is great, I use it on quite a high level and it hits me hard, another guy I know did all his training for a Himalayan walking holiday on the Cybex.

But the best thing about the Cybex, the really very best thing - anyone can use it if they can stand up.

My 80 year old obese mother with two knee and one hip replacement can use the Cybex Arc Trainer safely. That alone makes the Cybex Arc trainer an amazing piece of equipment,
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replys! I think I will ask my trainer about switching from the treadmill to the Arc.
  • InezRny
    InezRny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am definitely going to use this machine more now! It has no real way to measure it on this website tho. I did not find it anywhere but I will be on it more often!
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have to edit my last reply to this..... the calories are way off. Machine said I burned 250 and I had only burned 140ish (per HRM). I had never really payed attention to the machine before for the calorie burn. I had always noticed the HR was only off by 1 or 2 the whole time.