How to deal with weight loss advice you don't agree with?

Options
A co-worker approached me this morning, and told me about something he had read this past weekend. Apparently I will get 'better' results if I limit my eating to only six hours a day. He said that humans previously only ate infrequently because food was hard to get (caveman days, apparently), and that we've grown accustomed to eating too much. All I would need to do is figure out which six hours I would eat, and then only drink water (I guess) the rest of the time. All I could say was "I don't agree with that", and fortunately, had to leave for a meeting.

I don't want to even get into a discussion with him about this, because he would get really defensive and spend hours researching to prove his case. It's really bothering me that maybe I could have handled it better, but would love to hear other thoughts about this. I really had to bite my tongue before I said the word "ridiculous". And no, he isn't just pulling my leg, I think he really believes it.

Replies

• cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    it's called intermittent fasting. there are a bunch of different ways to do it but i've read a lot of people on here practice that and have had good results. however i've also read it's not good for women to do it. it's all in what you research and people can make data say anything they want it to... which is why you have so many different diets.

if you want to read into it and see where he's coming from, here's a good link:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-intermittent-fasting/#axzz24lXtyV00

anyway, just tell the guy thanks and you'll look into it and then just... don't lol it's none of his busines how you lose weight anyway.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Say, "interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks" If he asks again "yea, I looked into it. I think what I am doing right now is best for me, but I appreciate you telling me about it."
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just acknowledge - you don't have to agree. "Thanks for letting me know." Then drop it and do what you feel is right for you. :smile:
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on just high up the corporate chain this co worker is. If someday you may have to kiss his backside politely tell him you will take his advise into consideration in your research toward better health and well being, if not tell him to take a hike its none of his concern
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Say, "interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks" If he asks again "yea, I looked into it. I think what I am doing right now is best for me, but I appreciate you telling me about it."

This.

I know people who do well with IF. I'd get too hangry.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids ? How do you handle those who have a opinion on how you raise them .. Especially if you don't want to hear it?

This is kinda the same.. Every one has a opinion on weight loss because there are 1000 different ways to do it..

SOme smart some not so smart...

Whats important is as long as you are eating right and exercising the details in between can and will be different for many people..

I would just say thanks I may check it out .. but for me I have being doing ___________________ and its working out great.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well his information is all speculation, first off.

But you have to do what you feel comfortable with - if your stomach is growling because you have limited your eating, and/or you aren't getting in enough calories - obviously it's not working and could be hurting your health and efforts, not helping.

Just tell him you've been using MFP and are doing what works for you, and you hope his thing works for him. Be polite and thankful, but carry on with what works for you :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    "Thanks, maybe I'll look into it" has always worked for me.

FWIW, I have had success with intermittent fasting. It really may be worth looking into if you are ever stuck in a rut.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I just nod my head and keep doing what I'm doing. Lol. I've had a few people come up to me and do this, and I figured it wasn't worth the debate.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

BEST Polite Answer Ever!!!!! :smile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Things like this always amuse me.

My suggestion is to say thanks and change the subject.

I will listen to anything. If it makes sense to me and might fit into my life, I might give it a try. If it works, I may choose to keep/adapt to my life. The rest is flotsam and jetsam that do nothing but distract.

As per Bruce Lee - hack away the unessential!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I would just reply "Oh that's interesting. I'm really happy with the results that I've been seeing with the plan I worked out with my doctor, so I'm going to stick with that. Thanks for the suggestion though."

Its tough because you can get so much unsolicited advice! And all kinds of crazy advice too!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

BEST Polite Answer Ever!!!!! :smile:

Absolutely.

or you could start stuffing pillows and cotton in your clothes until that person comes by and asks why you didn't take their advice and you can say you did and that's when THIS happened :laugh:
  • jacquig9
    jacquig9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! @cartrat - excellent link! I've never heard of IF ... @kaxfenix - you're right, I didn't think of it that way. Unfortunately he's very opinionated on EVERYONE's lives, not just mine, and once he gets a thread of something, he immerses himself in that subject until something else comes along (and I have to listen to it since we're cube neighbors). Guess it's my turn again, lol!!
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I just stay out of the forums for the most part. There are people everywhere wanting to offer advice. Is it good? Is it bad? I have no idea but I know what works for me and that's all I need know.
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My dad tells me I should spend 30 minutes after my workout in the sauna..... I just have to tell "yeah sure, maybe next time I go."

@justal313: I should do that to my dad! He'd flip out. :)
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    most people have the same reply I would use.

"I'll check that out, thanks!"

THEN ask him a question about something YOU want to know about. If he is google-obsessed, tell him you heard about this "cabbage soup diet" and were wondering if he had seen anything about it.

Or you saw something random like "if you are a wiggler you burn more calories."

He'll go off into google land and feel accomplished that he's doing NOT WORK STUFF to find info for you.

Anything you need to research for work? Ask him about that....

ps: sounds like he has potential to be a one upper :(
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Ask him how long the average caveman lived, if he thinks that was a happy carefree life, and if he would bang a cave-woman.

Then walk away.
  • Julieandpaloma
    Julieandpaloma Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just nod and ignore it......people can just be stupid sometimes.... ;)
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Ask for actual science to back up his claim. There is none so he'll be gone for awhile looking for it. People have had success with what he is talking about but that doesn't mean it works for everyone