Kitchen Hints and Tips - Let's list them!

Options

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump. These are great ideas!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If you have caked on grease/dirt on your oven or microwave......buy a new oven or microwave.....and never ever use it again!

Same goes for the cooktop and oven!
  • AGreen54
    AGreen54 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow I never thought of the wooden skewers for peeling! I always end up accidentally dropping them in the trash -.- I'm not much of a cook but here is a tip, if you have stains on your cutting boards, just put baking soda on it for a few hours and when you wash it off it will be gone! I never heard of putting oil in the water for pasta before. If you get more than 1 load of bread or bagels than its good to put 1 in the freezer so it doesnt get moldy and then take it out when you finish the 1st loaf.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If cooking from a recipe on your notebook or tablet, cover the device with a clear sheet of plastic wrap to keep splatters off.... I discovered the need for this while baking this morning, and blowing the flour off my notebook keyboard!
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Peeling hardboiled eggs! This is awesome for large quantities, I do about a dozen eggs a week and went from cursing just about every single egg to being giddy at how easy this was.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/01/worlds-easiest-boiled-eggs-unless-youre.html
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If cooking from a recipe on your notebook or tablet, cover the device with a clear sheet of plastic wrap to keep splatters off.... I discovered the need for this while baking this morning, and blowing the flour off my notebook keyboard!

I have one over the control panel of my food scale, too for the same reason--protects it from spills and crumbs.
  • amberiam
    amberiam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    If you have build up from hair products in your hair, once a month add a tablespoon of baking soda to your shampoo and wash normally, it will make your hair squeaky clean and super soft. <<<Do not use too often since it WILL strip out ALL of the oils in your hair and off your scalp>>!!!!!!

Vinegar is a great use for taking out the smells of clothes, bedding etc.. I add a cup to wash and still use soap and fabric softener it also softens the water and clothes as you wash if you have hard water..

Vinegar in the rinse water after you shampoo closes the hair shaft of your hair to help smooth it out. It can make you smell like vinegar so rinse well after you let sit in hair for a min..
  • MrsLeyva11
    Options
    When you buy fresh produce, to keep it from going bad so fast, soak them in a sinkful of water with a 1/2 cup of vinegar to clean them. It pulls off all the waxes that the stores use to make them look more appealing.. It also kills bacteria/sanitizes them :) I do this for all my produce and it gives me at least an extra week in the fridge. Especially grapes or berries! They last much longer!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    - Instead of adding oil to your water when you are boiling pasta, spray the top surface of the water in the pot with some cooking spray - save those calories

myth skip it all... having oil floating on the op of the water does absolutely nothing to your pasta... the pasta is under the oil... the oil and water is drained off... pasta never meets said oil...
    *shrugs*

The pasta doesn't need to meet the oil. The purpose of the oil is to keep the water from boiling over and making a mess. If you want to keep the pasta from sticking to itself then give it a shot of oil after it's in the colander. If you want to avoid the oil you can also put it back in the pot and add a spoonful of sauce (if you're using tomato sauce) and stir it around.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I read these quickly, so if I repeat anything I'm sorry.

If your eggs are older, esp if you get them farm fresh, and you are worried they may be bad put them in a glass of water. Rotten ones will float.

Also, I use the oil in things I am boiling in water b/c it keeps them from boiling over-not b/c of sticking
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *squee!*

*bump*
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    if it hasent allready been mentioned - lemon juice mixed with white vingar can clean anything(allmost)

also drier sheets in linen drawers to keep them smelling fresh
  • Suzy81123
    Suzy81123 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BUMP I just bought a house and can use these ideas...I'll read all of these later. Thanks!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bump - love this one!
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This one may sound very odd but it works!

If you touch fish, either to cook or eat, and you are left with a fishy smell on your hands:

Wash your hands with soap, and then rub your hands on something made of stainless steel (like a sink, or a stainless steel pan). And voila, the fishy smell is gone :)
    Don't believe it? well try it!
  • 1DayAt_aTime
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • tarag8100
    tarag8100 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    bump! thank you for all the great tips!
  • cookadook
    Options