"Slave to the scale"?

Options
I've heard two different opinions on this topic, and I thought I would ask you guys what you think.

Generally speaking, I've heard many people say they don't weigh in because they don't want to become slaves to the scale. Some people have told me they don't even own a scale for that reason. On the flip side, I know several people who weigh in weekly and daily. I myself weigh in every Monday morning, using the scale as a tool to help me, but not letting it own me. I also take measurements every two weeks, just in case that 'ol scale is being contrary.

I was just wondering where everyone stands on this debate.

Replies

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I do the same as you. Weigh in weekly and take measurements every 2 weeks, as long as one of them is going down I know I'm ok!
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    The scale is one of many tools I use to track my progress..... I weight my self once every two weeks or so .. I rely on other things like pictures, measurements, how I feel, how I perform while working out, how my clothes fit etc etc......

The people who get jacked up on the numbers are those who make posts on MFP freaking out because they gained an ounce since the last time they weighed themselves 10 minutes ago. ... Don't be one of those.
  • alicia0416
    alicia0416 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am trying NOT to use the scale so much.... I think it doesn't like me.... HEHE... But just seeing how my cloths fit seems to help me. I freaked this morning because I gained two pounds but some NICE people said that could be water weight lol... but yeah... its a habit I NEED TO BREAK!!!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself most days, but I know it's not King. And I understand all the different variables that go into that number, so I don't stress about it.

In fact, I just blogged about it: http://www.isthisbliss.com/101-reasons-to-ditch-the-scale/
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

The people who get jacked up on the numbers are those who make posts on MFP freaking out because they gained an ounce since the last time they weighed themselves 10 minutes ago. ... Don't be one of those.

:laugh: That's funny, yet sadly true. I can't even weigh myself every day, let alone multiple times a day. That junk messes with my head!
  • hayleymc3
    Options
    I do weigh myself most days, but I know it's not King. And I understand all the different variables that go into that number, so I don't stress about it.

In fact, I just blogged about it: http://www.isthisbliss.com/101-reasons-to-ditch-the-scale/

I'll check that out! Weighing in weekly has worked best for me, so far. I could change my mind at some point, but daily weigh-ins sound stressful to me!
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think every person is different. As I had 6 years of eating disorders as a teen, I was a slave to the scale - jumping on it SEVERAL TIMES A DAY. It wasn't until I hit my 40's (yes, my 40's) that I finally weaned myself. I own a scale and go through spurts of daily weigh-ins then go weeks without weighing. I weigh LESS when I don't monitor as closely. But, my self-worth isn't tied into the scale and "that number" anymore. Bottom line: If my clothes fit well and I look good in them, that's all that counts as I eat healthy.
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I used to weigh in every Sunday. I am maintaining right now. I got on the scale yesterday, the first time since June. I was down over a pound. Each person is different. If I start weighing myself too often, I get really caught up on the number and it stresses me out. Once a week seems like a nice balance and then for someone like me, once a month or every other month to ensure I am maintaining works.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher.. I've learned that if I'm not getting on the scale that means i'm avoiding it, and that leads to me not logging or watching what I eat. I'm not one who freaks out at whatever the scale says though. I can vary as much as 5 lbs from day to day depending on how much sodium I ate and how hard my workout was the day before.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I find it was necessary for me to understand the way my body weight fluctuates to weigh 4 times a day for a month - this way I had a clear picture of my 3-pound-per-day fluctuation. Now that I see my average range of weight in a day, the scale no longer freaks me out. Now I weigh every morning but only record my weight Monday mornings. I also track other measurements to keep it real.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think that each person should go with whatever makes them most comfortable.

I personally plan on remaining attached to my scale for the time being. (I happen to be one of the few who believes that measurements are far more inaccurate than a scale.) Though I have taken the advice of some and started weighing daily so I won't be so disturbed by the natural fluctuations that happen.

I am truly to fine the true measure of my success in how I feel and how my clothes fit... or don't fit, as the case may be.
  • c_smith_0789
    Options
    I weigh every morning first thing! And log it! I just like to see it go down even if its only by .2lbs It keeps me motivated. If I have a day I dont loose any or gain a little I give it a few days and it starts coming back off. Just water weight... Once I hit my goal weight im sure i wont check it but once a week... But i like to see it coming off at the moment.
  • hayleymc3
    Options

I personally plan on remaining attached to my scale for the time being. (I happen to be one of the few who believes that measurements are far more inaccurate than a scale.)

Can you share how? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious about that. It could be that I need to rethink my strategy, but I always thought measurements were a more realistic approach to tracking how healthy one is.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning but I am not "a slave" to the scale. I just like to see what my body is up to. But I only record any losses on Monday's....and I measure myself every 2 weeks.
  • DevonW32
    DevonW32 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well I really need help with this because I'am a slave to the scale...I told my daughter to hide my scale so I would ony do it once a week oppse to daily
  • alibeec75
    alibeec75 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning first thing! And log it! I just like to see it go down even if its only by .2lbs It keeps me motivated. If I have a day I dont loose any or gain a little I give it a few days and it starts coming back off. Just water weight... Once I hit my goal weight im sure i wont check it but once a week... But i like to see it coming off at the moment.

I am the exact same. It seems to keep me accountable. I don't feel like I cam a slave to it but I love seeing little bits of progress, I'm even happy when it stays the same for a few days because I feel like I've succeeded in keeping off what I've already lost.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it on MFP. I don't revisit the scale throughout the day, just the once in the morning, but I do it every morning. I like tracking numbers and patterns and the scale is a handy tool to show me my progress or if I need to make adjustments to my plan.

I'm impatient, and I don't want to be 2-3 weeks down a path that isn't helping me reach my goals. The scale is helpful in that regard.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it is ideal to weigh in about once a week. However, I'm guilty of weighing myself almost every day, at least in this stage of my lifestyle change. I'm trying to establish how much the scale goes up over the course of a day and also whether my bathroom scale is accurate. What I have determined so far is that my scale at home weighs light and that clothes weigh close to three pounds. I gain about three pounds during the day almost all because of fluid consumption. My official weigh-in is and will continue to be at my Tuesday afternoon LEARN group.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm currently allowing the scale number to affect me....and I weighed yesterday. I had a scale at home previously but I tossed it out and told myself i'm going to weigh at the gym only every Sunday. The scale number hasn't moved in 2 weeks but the inches are going down. I feel better about myself, and my clothes are fitting better. Yesterday was my cheat day and I usually enjoy it, but I allowed myself to binge on candy because I felt sorry for myself because the scale didn't go down. I beat myself up mentally, and to tell the truth I really don't feel like working out today. I want to have a patty melt and fries for lunch and start again TOMORROW, because the scale didn't tell me what I wanted to hear YESTERDAY. (LOL the "I have one foot in yesterday, the other in tomorrow and pi*sing all over today" syndrome)

I'm not feeling sorry for myself, just stating a recent experience with the scale. From now on i'm going to be using my measuring tape, fat calipers, pictures and how my clothes feel to track my progress. I train heavy using mainly compound movements (squat, deads, bench press, etc) 3x a week, run 3x a week and I make sure i eat well and take in lots of protein. It could be one of many things (water weight, losing fat and gaining a little muscle, etc). The bottom line is I don't like what a number on a machine does to my thought process. It took over the fact that I still lost inches. I didn't care about the inches, i just cared about the scale. So for me, for now, the scale and I have to part ways.
  • jshinoff
    jshinoff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I strongly advocate daily weighing. The scale is the most easily accessible and reliable indicator of what is going on with your body, and of course it is completely impartial. Also, it is important to lose any fear of weighing in. It is easy for people with weight challenges to develop a fear of the scale, stop weighing themselves, and develop a willful blindness to what is going on with their body.