Kitchen Hints and Tips - Let's list them!

Options

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you love to cook with fresh ginger (I put it in almost everything) but are tired of it going bad, keep it in the freezer. Peel it when you get it, then keep it in plastic wrap and a baggie in the freezer. When you needed it, just pulled it out and slice or grate (don't thaw!) and add it right away, then put it back int he freezer. It never goes bad and it grates and slices easily!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    This one may sound very odd but it works!

If you touch fish, either to cook or eat, and you are left with a fishy smell on your hands:

Wash your hands with soap, and then rub your hands on something made of stainless steel (like a sink, or a stainless steel pan). And voila, the fishy smell is gone :)
    Don't believe it? well try it!

This works for onion and garlic smells as well.
  • Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Here is one for the girls (non-kitchen related):

Oily complexion? every foundation you use looks greasy and shiny after a few hours of wear?

Apply a thin layer of old fashioned Milk Of Magnesia all over the face, making sure it is well blended before applying your foundation. It works like a charm!

Dry, chapped hands and cuticles?

Apply a thick layer of vaseline or Mango Mend (found at Sally's) to the hands, wear a disposable glove, and wash dishes with warm water. The warm water helps the vaseline product sink into the skin leaving your hands nice and hydrated :)

Feel like your feet sweat and smell after a workout in tennis shoes?

Apply deodorant to your feet before putting socks on :) the stick kind is even better :) No more stinky feet!
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    - I put a piece of wax paper under the waffle iron or george foreman grill for quick clean ups.
    -Sprinkle baking soda in a clogged drain and flush with hot vinegar will open the drain as well as drain-o..
    -A marshmellow in the tip of an ice cream cone stops drips.
    -Ants won't cross a chalk line. Run chalk around you kitchen and it will keep the ants out.
    -Coffee grounds are great for the garden.
    -When using broth or anything that needs to be used w/in a certain amount of time after opening, write the date you opened it on it with a sharpie.
    - And my recent favorite, google the oil cleasing method. I use 1 part castrol oil and 5 parts olive oil, and use it to clean my face every night. My face has never looked better. No more expensive cleansers or moisterizers.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    Save chicken & steak bones, vegetable ends, onion & garlic papers, herb stems, ect in a freezer bag; when full, boil in your largest stock pot for several hours, letting it reduce to concentrate flavors, then strain through cheesecloth. Free stock that tastes awesome. Freeze in 4 cup and 1 cup portions for adding to soups and sauces.

Instead of mincing garlic and ginger, I run them over a microplaner.

Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, drain pasta a minute or two before it's done, and let it finish cooking in the sauce. Add the reserved pasta water a 1/4 cup at a time (add only what's necessary) so the starch in it will give sauce the perfect consistency.

Burnt food in the bottom of your favorite skillet? Use regular table salt and half a lemon to scrub it out.

Apple cider vinegar makes for a great hair treatment. Mix in equal parts with hot water. Wet hair with water, carefully pour mixture over wet hair, sit 5 minutes, wash with shampoo twice. Removes all buildup without stripping natural oils. Don't get it in your eyes. This is especially good to perk up drooping wavy/curly hair.

Bar Keeper's Friend is awesome for keeping stainless steel sinks and cookware clean. Removes the worst burnt on mess easily.

2 week old eggs are best for boiled eggs - they'll peel easier; fresh eggs are best for baked goods.
  • vinsonh42
    vinsonh42 Posts: 125
    Options
    If you have a garbage disposal put orange rinds down it, sharpens the blades and makes it smell better. Also works with a blender and food processor and coffee grinder.

When cutting an onion first put it in the freezer for 15 minutes and you wont cry! works every time and trust me I normally look like I was sobbing once I get done with an onion. I normally have to take a few breaks because I can't see what I am doing which is dangerous!
  • andivaclavicek
    Options
    Bump.
  • RozsGurl
    RozsGurl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    These are awesome!!!

Some more tips:

Only need 1/4 or 1/2 an onion, bell pepper, part of a bag of carrots, bunch of celery, pkg of fresh mushrooms, etc for a recipe? Finish chopping the rest, and toss into a freezer ziplock, flatten, squeeze the air out, and freeze - when you're making omelettes, soup, etc you can just whack the baggie on the counter to separate the pieces and use what you need.

Make a lot of cakes? Save your frosting containers/lids. They hold two cups, and work PERFECTLY for the freezer (they fit nicely in the door) to store chili, spaghetti sauce, soups, cooked beans, cooked rice, etc, you name it... Use a piece of masking tape to label/date the ingredients.

Saw a couple people mention freezing lemon/orange juice in ice cube trays.... I freeze it flat in ziplock bags, and break off a chunk as needed (only fill it so that when it's laying on the counter, it's 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick so it's easy to break off when frozen)

Making a boxed lemon cake but really like the lemony flavor? Substitue 1/2 of the water with lemon or orange juice - YUM.

Making garlic mashed potatoes? Toss one or two peeled cloves in with the raw potatoes when cooking.... mash them in when you drain the potatoes, they add great flavor without being overpowering.

Trying to wean your kids off sugary cereal, or make it a LITTLE healthier? Mix it with something healthy, store it in cereal bins - some combinations that work great are regular rice crispies with sweetened/chocolate/fruity pebbles ones, honey nut cheerios with original flavor, raisin bran or corn flakes with frosted flakes, add regular cheerios to stuff like lucky charms, and add granola to "boring" stuff like cornflakes and kix.

A 4x6 photo album works WONDERFULLY as a mini-cookbook. Buy 4x6 lined index cards (or print your recipes in that size on the computer), if you splash/spill they wipe right off. (Also, if you're a parent.... I have 4 sets of these going.... any time I cook something my kids love, I make a copy for each of their cookbooks or for the one who liked it, date it for memory's sake, and tuck it into their "cookbook" photo album. When they move into their own place, they'll have a good start on some recipes from home and/or know how to make some of their favorite things. Their grandmas have even contributed to the books if the kids have liked a recipe they made during a sleepover etc.)

Want savory scrambled eggs or omelettes? Add a tablespoon of condensed Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken soup for every 2 eggs, scramble together, and cook as usual for scrambled eggs. This has gotten me away from using gobs of cheese on my scrambled eggs.... :smile:

Evaporated milk works GREAT as a substitute in recipes calling for heavy whipping cream (soups, mashed potatoes, desserts, "white chili", etc) and it's drastically lower in calories. Haven't tried it for something like Fettucine Alfredo yet, but that's my next experiment. :wink: Obviously this also would NOT work if you're supposed to WHIP the whipping cream :tongue:

Sneak veggies into things in unusual places - I use my mini chopper and add things like finely chopped carrots, celery, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, and squash to everything from meatloaf to chili and spaghetti sauce. Most folks never know it's in there, just comment on how moist and flavorful it is :drinker:

Substitute 1/2 the required flour with whole wheat flour in pancakes, breads, and dense cakes - makes it a little healthier and more filling.

Bananas getting too ripe for folks to eat? Peel and place them in ziplock bags, flatten, remove air, and freeze - can be used for everything from smoothies to pancakes, banana bread, cakes, etc.

Hmm, think that's all I can think of for the moment.... may come up with some more later! Thanks for the great ideas, all!! :happy:
  • Pea4jjab
    Pea4jjab Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Mine are cleaning tips.
    Get 3 spray bottles. Fill one with half vinegar, and half water. Fill one with 91% rubbing alcohol. Fill the last one with peroxide. For regular cleaning, spray with vinegar (wait a minute if anything is crusty) and wipe clean. For nastier things (raw meat, eggs), use the alcohol and let it sit a minute. If you really need to disinfect, peroxide is great (I use it on the sink).
    I used to spend a fortune on paper towels. It was getting expensive. Then I remembered that my grandmother used to use old flour sacks to clean. I found flour sacks in Target, Walmart, etc and started using those. We probably have 2-3 dozen now. We keep a clean one hanging up for drying and a less clean one for wiping spills while cooking. When we start running low we wash them with hot water and bleach and they're like new. If they get really stained we mark them "rag" with a sharpie and use them on ickier things and throw them out if necessary. A roll of paper towels now lasts about a month.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Cut lettuce with a plastic knife - stops it from getting brown edges
    Put a wooden spoon across a boiling pot of water to stop if from boiling over
    Baked (boiled) eggs - put them into a cupcake tin, no need to add anything else and pop them in the oven for 28 mins at 160 degrees C , when done take them out and put them into ice cold water. They will peel easier and don't get the chalky yolk

I"m going to give the baked eggs a try. Thanks!!!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Get a 15 PSI pressure cooker, and cook in minutes not hours.
    (you're cooking with steam, so you seal in all the goodness!)

The only thing the crockpot is good for now is keeping food
    warm at functions, and potlucks! :tongue:
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump to read later!
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

- Instead of adding oil to your water when you are boiling pasta, spray the top surface of the water in the pot with some cooking spray - save those calories

I have never added oil to the water and my pasta doesn't stick. Just skip this one.

Rub oniony/garlicky hands on stainless steel under running water to remove the odor (a spoon will do, no need to buy anything special).

Microwave your damp kitchen sponge to disinfect it -- it won't smell and it will last longer. Boiling/freezing/running it through the dishwater ARE NOT effective.

Hard boiled eggs - put them in cold water, bring it to a full boil, turn off the burner and let them cool in the pot.

Crock pots were invented to cook steel cut oats.

Run "used" citrus (grapefruit rinds, lemon wedges from drinks etc) through the disposal to clean it out. Smells better that way too.

And...dangerously...you can toast marshmallows on a parchment-lined sheet pan under the broiler. DO NOT walk away.
  • MissySho
    MissySho Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    going on a cleaning spree this weekend.....marking this for reference....thanks everyone for sharing
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Place a wooden spoon over your sauce pan to keep from boil over's
  • rtwinrn06
    rtwinrn06 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump