Pushy co workers who give out food

Options

Replies

• Scott277
    Scott277 Posts: 63
    Options
    feel your pain!!

It seems every bloody day is someones birthday at my work so there is cakes/donughts everywhere! and theres the people with biscuits at the desk that offer you one all the time lol.

I have never ate a single one of those cakes and that is key. I now pride myself on the fact i don't and in my head it makes me feel so good I can resist to the point now i really am getting over it, I just think nah its fine id rather keep to my no cake record!
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well, try to say no thank you - let them know you watch what you eat...I wouldn't suggest throwing it out because that's just a waste. If it continues let them know it makes you uncomfortable because you don't want to hurt their feelings, but you don't want to mess with your results. But remember that it's ok to give in every now and then to treat yourself!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Well, here's a list of snarky come backs. You can mix and match.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/snarky-comebacks-to-inconsiderate-clods-163026
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Not now, but in the past yes. I even had one coworker who gave my officemate *kitten* because she declined something that could have killed her (my officemate had very severe food allergies). She hated me, and stopped pushing food on me after a while, but before that, I would either, just set it in a public area for someone else to take, or put it back on her desk, with a polite "no thank you."
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I've experienced that before... but i have coworkers now who are very supportive and actually wont LET me indulge in anything... they will even hide sweets and things from me so that I dont have to look at it. My last job wasn't like that at all... we always had SOMETHING to eat there... I guess I can say I lucked out this time.
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I usually say no thank you. But when it is a gift from the children I teach I feel like I need to accept it. I graciously accept it then I tell them I will save it for later. Then I take it home to my children. I know it makes my children happy when I bring home treats to them and it pleases the students to give me a gift. If I can see that they really want me to try it I will take a bite in front of them to tell them how wonderful it tastes then "save the rest for later."
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If they don't accept a polite decline, then be more assertive.

Another option: leave an apple or banana on a prominent place on your desk.

Yet another idea: keep a box of food baggies in your drawer, and when food is left on your desk, stick it in the baggie and give it to a random homeless person you come across on your way home.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher and we have a lot of treats brought into work. I had surgery and so was on pureed foods so a colleague of mine brought me in butternut squash soup when it was her birthday, another brought in a low cal chocolate mousse for her birthday. When we had international day a mum made me pureed lentil dahl again so I could join in. Maybe I have been lucky but when you make it open and clear that you are losing weight people do understand. For my birthday I couldn't bring in cakes or biscuits or any kind of food so I brought in bunches of roses and everyone took one home.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I just say Thankyou, that looks awesome but please take it away because my resolve just isn't really good today. Give it to someone REALLY skinny.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I think if someone plopped food on my desk I would walk it over to theirs and set it on their keyboard or something. Maybe then they'll get the hint!
  • joellenwelch
    Options
    (oops, can't figure out how to delete this one)
  • joellenwelch
    Options
    People don't want others to lose weight for 2 reasons: 1. They will be jealous 2. That might mean they have to change too.

Nailed it, APresner!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Just tell them flat-out: I am going to throw it away. Do you want to put it directly in the garbage or shall I??

^^^ yes, this. They're not respecting you and what you are trying to accomplish so make it know that you mean serious business. #BattleMode
  • Mzchasenpaper
    Mzchasenpaper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    plop it right back on theirs!!!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My coworkers will do that but if I decline, they won't push it but instead will be like, "you don't need to be watching what you eat!"
    And I'm like... I AM 70 lbs over a healthy weight, YEAH I do need to watch it! haha.
  • deepbreaths_strongmoves
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I get full meals pushed on me actually. There just being nice and polite, so I'm not rude back. What I do now is if it's something that someone bought individually (this happens a lot with cookies and doughnuts) I take it and say I'll eat it later, but I actually toss it later. When it's full meals (people bring extra food or make food at work) I just say that I'm weird about what I eat because I can get an upset stomach easily (which I can) so, even though I would love to eat, I can't. I have started bringing my own snacks to meetings though, because there's usually food there too. It's become less of a problem over time.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean... They take over the break room with stuff like that and it makes it hard (I am weak) to get to my healthier stuff.... Plus we have a lady that makes breakfast taco's... Well she makes the tortilla's from scratch and then is offended when I eat the contents and not the tortilla. I asked her to save the tortilla and start just putting some in a cup.

I would tell them politely - when they dont have food in hand, that you have a goal and could they help you reach your goal. when they get excited your asking them to help, tell them to skip your cube next time. That if you feel like splurging that day you will come to them. Then thank them for their "support".
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been saying no so long that they rarely push it anymore. When people would leave stuff, i just give it to someone else or leave it on someone elses desk. Hehehe
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    ive got a woman at my gym that bakes broownies, cakes and cookies!!! she brings them and want to give them out to ppl in the hcangeroom after the workout! i told her she was going to sabatoge me, but took a peice of apple spice cake the 1st time she offered, ever since i have said no thank you, but then all the ladies are like `oh c`mon! u can afford to eat a little peice!` ...im like ya, but i just worked out for 2hrs nad i dont wanna kill it wiht one or 2 coookies, but thanks, lol. trying to let them know that they shouldnt do it either! lol
  • babebree
    babebree Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep. We also get sweets from the drug reps that comes in. I don't understand why all the small people in the office are the ones who brings the cupcakes, cakes and other stuff. I just wrap and take it for my kids or toss it.