Fat girl in a swim suit

Options

Replies

• Morningstar93
    Options
    Stand with your head held high, Sure if you would feel better having a tan or other comforts before you go do it..but just be proud to be you.. Don't give them any reason to bring you down. Regardless of size, you will be the better person for standing up for yourself and showing some curve without fear of what they think, If they think they can judge you and make you feel inferior then darling, inside they are the biggest, ugliest, meanest blubber whales ever ...and you are the fairest princess of them all, Because you are better than that, you would never be cruel to them.. don't give them the satisfaction.
    Remember, it is who we are inside that matters, at least your Bf can see that.. does what anyone or anything else think matter?
    :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • Thanis90
    Thanis90 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. My boyfriends family are all quite skinny and his mother is very judging. I feel uncomfortable in her presence a lot of the time, because she is about the only one in the world who can make me feel that I'm more like 40 stone, even though I'm not even half of that. She goes on about her needing to lose weight and she's a size 8 UK... And when I have dinner there, I've noticed her giving me extra-large portions for whatever reason but everyone else gets "normal" portions. It upsets me. I can avoid her, but she already dislikes me - So I don't know what way to turn, do I just put up with it? Do YOU just put up with feeling the way you are? My boyfriend knows about my fears and he says it's all in my head, but he's a total mommy's boy, so he is blind when it comes to his mum being anything less than perfect. I wish I could offer better advice, but I seen something about wearing a wrap or a sorong. That'll cover up your legs and may give you a bit more confidence. Also... You should opt for a swimDRESS opposed to the swimsuit, as it leaves more to the imagination I think. It helped my confidence in going to the pool anyways. So go buy yourself something nice, that you're comfortable in and enjoy your holiday :)
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Boys swim shorts (long surfer style) will hide scars and bulgy bits, and a tankini top with a halter neck is flattering for the top half!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    So to my great delight, after 4 years of dating, my boyfriends family has extended an invitation to me to join them on a family vacation. I really want to be thrilled and over joyed that they are finally coming around on me being in their son's life BUT I will spend a week on a boat in a swim suit with them......I'm a US size 18.....the next biggest girl is his mom, who wears a 6, and then his sister wears a 4. The men, my BF included are all well over 6 feet tall (my man is 6'1" and 160 pounds - and the shortest - though not the most muscled of the pack). If they were all just skinny I wouldnt care - but man oh man can they judge!!!!!! His mother does zumba and is always yalking about this woman who "MUST WEIGHT AT LEAST 200 POUNDS!" and I'm in the corner thinking "so 20 pounds LESS than me?"I can dress my body well to flatter and hide....but there's no where to hide in a swim suit....help!

*EDIT* Im also really self conscious for another reason too....I've been healthier for about two years now but I used to be pretty heavily involved in self mutilation....something my boyfriend knows all about, but his family doesn't. My thighs are covered in scars. That really worries me.

There are some really great bathing suits, though pricy, that will help you. Buy a tank & skirt to cover your legs. wear a t-shirt and put on sunscreen like crazy & tell them you dont want skin cancer. I understand how you feel. While my husbands mom isnt skinny by any means, shes very judgemental anyway. AND it didnt help that I was thin when i got with my husband. Good luck & enjoy your vacation!
  • fortheheart
    fortheheart Posts: 50 Member
    Options

*EDIT* Im also really self conscious for another reason too....I've been healthier for about two years now but I used to be pretty heavily involved in self mutilation....something my boyfriend knows all about, but his family doesn't. My thighs are covered in scars. That really worries me.

I too was into self mutilation for about 12 years and have some pretty nasty scars. And as well, I went on a few boat trips this summer with some nasty self centered people (family) who are all about the perfect body. I was over 300 pounds at the time. My cousin's girlfriend wears those string bikinis. My two aunts had the Gastric Bypass. Everyone was down to the bare minimum. All I could think of was my huge flabby arms, my scars on my upper thighs and wrists and my huge thighs that wiggle like Jell-O when I walked. So, after a few deep cries I decided to buy some capri leggings to hide my thighs. Then I told myself 'Who said they are perfect? Something is wrong with every single one of them.' I thought I'm a good person. I know what it's like to be judged. I won't do that. So, I kept my bathing suit on with my big flabby arms showing and wore those capri leggings. I'm fine with it now.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    You are gorgeous. Screw them if they judge...the important thing is that your BF thinks you are hot.

If you need something to make you feel good in a swimsuit, Land's End has been a lifesaver and has so many great suits in extended sizes (women, DD cup, long torso, etc.) I love the mix and match tankinis. They are always having a big sale, too, esp. at the end of summer. Buy a variety of things to try on at home, keep what you love, take the rest back to a Sears with a Land's End Shop in it.

GL!
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation with my boyfriend's family. They sit around and talk about everyone that isn't in the room. These people are so judgmental of everyone you wouldn't believe it. I have gone on 2 vacations with his family and have gone to stay with them for a week following Christmas last year. Needless to say, I have decided for my sanity that this is NOT a good idea and is something I will not partake in again. I find myself stressed out and not able to escape them. I don't get to eat a healthy diet when I am with them and I drink too much alcohol to tolerate them. This year's family trip will be minus me and I am looking forward to it as that was my choice. Vacations are only fun if you can enjoy them. Stressing is not pleasurable in my mind.

Just something to think about....
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Nobody
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I can't help but wonder... Is everyone making a mountain out of a molehill here?
    This is the first family vacation you have been on with this group of people, why assume they will behave a certain way?
    Maybe this is bigger in your mind than it is in reality?
    Maybe take a step back, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that this group thinks enough of you to have invited you in the first place.
    You've been around them for 4 years, they know what you look like. I know I am also good at hiding my weight under clothing, so swimwear presents a new challenge in that area, but it can be done.
    Instead of dressing for them, dress for you! Find a suit (and cover-up) that make you feel comfortable. Something that you feel good in and feel like you can relax in.
    I found a swim dress at Lane Bryant that I feel good in. It is a halter top that dips fairly low in the front, showing a bit of cleavage so that part feels kinda sexy to me (good ego boost! lol) and the bottom is kind of an empire waist dress type thing that ends mid thigh. The dress part is not gathered or pleated so it's not too bulky. It is concealing enough that I can wear just that and not feel like everyone is looking at every jiggle.

Take a breath and stop stressing over this or the whole trip will be misserable. Relax, be yourself, and they will see the things that make your sweetie love you every day!
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to a spray tan before you go - it'll help hide your scars and make you look slimmer and more toned. And if you hear any comments - don't c0ck a deaf ear - challenge them, politely. Otherwise they'll eat away at you. xxx

This and they make some really cute swim skirt cover ups. Then you'd only have to take it off right before jumping in the water. I have issues with my thighs (skinny or fat) and always wear one. It's got a cute little bow tie in the front and I wear it like a piece of fashion.

On a side note... You're with your boyfriend because he loves you! Hard to do I know, but don't worry about what any of the others think. I'm sure they've got their own flaws (skinny or not!) that they hope others don't notice.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My boyfriends family is also on the overweight side but the self-mutilation thing I can understand. My thighs are also covered in scars and I was terrified about wearing shorts and a swim suit at the cottage this summer.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You're probably hotter than you think, and a nice skirted one piece with a sarong will cover up whatever you don't want to show.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So here goes nothing - I figure if I can survive the internet seeing it I can survive his family seeing the same thing

7a4a3001.jpg

203cae2a.jpg
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Girl you look HOT!!! Forget what they may or may not say....you are gorgeous.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Love the cozzie, you look great. get out ther and enjoy your holiday x
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Cute bathing suit -- you look great in it!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    board shorts are every woman's friend who is sel consious about their thighs and WAY more conmfortable! matched with a tankini, and all is well.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    board shorts are every woman's friend who is sel consious about their thighs and WAY more conmfortable! matched with a tankini, and all is well.

You know, if I didnt have all the scars I wouldn't mind showing of my legs. Sure they're short and chubby but I like them. it's my big ol' tummy that bugs me
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Just saw the pic of you in your swimsuit...

yeah, you look just fine. If they can't deal with the scars..screw 'em. black board shorts would still look cute.

or even a bold/bright color. Have fun!
  • Yrla
    Yrla Posts: 19
    Options
    To the OP, I feel a bit weird saying this as I would normally never comment on anyone's appearance/body (as I hate when people do it to me - and there's no way it can be anything but judgmental, whether it's a compliment or not...) - but after reading your first post I was actually quite surprised when seeing the pictures above. I don't personally find any particular size more or less attractive, so that's not the point of saying this, but, anyway, I just want to tell you that you must clearly be much larger in your mind than you look to other people (which is pretty common I'd think). So, three things: 1. If I saw you on the beach your size would not register with me - i.e. I don't think you look 'big', just normal and curvy (not that looking 'big' would be a negative thing, I'm just saying I don't think you do!) 2. That is a great bathing suit on you. 3. You're very pretty, and you have absolutely nothing to hide or be ashamed of. You really look great in that swimsuit.

As for the scars - just hold your head high and try not to think about it. His family might notice them, they might not. They might wonder, they might not. But few people would be tactless enough to say something, so just try not to worry about what other people may or may not think. And remember that most of us have or have had some form of coping mechanisms we'd rather not tell the world about. Not all coping mechanisms leave visible scars, but most people know what it's like to go through a difficult time, and may not, deep down, be as judgmental as one might fear.