Maintainers...did you keep a food diary?

Options
13»

Replies

• niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I met my original goal, and then reset it for an additional 10 pounds. I still log my food and exercise every day. I plan to continue to do this even after completing the weight loss stage and entering the maintaining stage. Most of us got in trouble by not realizing how many calories we were consuming; I don't want to lose track of that again.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    By the time you get to goal weight (usually), if you've been logging all along, it's just a routine that you are in to. If you think you have learned portion control and have a good mental calculator, then I suppose you could stop logging. I like to use it to watch my morning and afternoon food & exercise balance so I have a good idea what I can eat in the evening. I generally don't log in the evening as I'm too busy most nights to sit down and do it. But, I know my portions and what I'm eating and what my intake/exercise for the earlier part of the day has left me with!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for almost 3 years, and maintaining for 2 of those years. It keeps me honest. If I don't do it, I can convince myself t hat a big mac and large fries will fit into my calorie allowance! Seeing the numbers keeps me on track.

I do occaisionally go over now, though, and try not to worry.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for almost 3 years, and maintaining for 2 of those years. It keeps me honest. If I don't do it, I can convince myself t hat a big mac and large fries will fit into my calorie allowance! Seeing the numbers keeps me on track.

I do occaisionally go over now, though, and try not to worry.

Also, I changed my calories to maintenance, and from time to time drop back to a lower level if a start gaining.

It's much easier to lose 3 lbs than 30!
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    I have become a 'weekday' logger. I track everything I eat on weekdays, but log very little on weekends. This isn't because weekends are any different from a diet standpoint (except perhaps one drink on Fridays and Saturdays), it has more to do with time.

On weekends, I am not often at my computer. While I have the app on my phone and iPad, it is much more time comsuming to log on a mobile device than it is to log on the computer. During the week, I spend 5-10 minutes, 3 times a day logging food. On the weekend, we also often eat meals at friends' houses or with family. I make good choices, but don't spend an hour trying to guess the calorie count in the food that was served.

That said...if the weight starts creeping back on...I'll be a faithful 7-day logger again.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Now ask the same question to those who haven't maintained a weight loss. I suspect you will get a different answer! :wink:
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal weight yet, but have lost a total 26 lbs and have been at my summer home for about 1 1/2 months now, and not exercising. I decided that I will continue to log in, not exercising, but am determined to maintain the loss. About one week ago, getting a little confident about eating what I want, I stepped on the scale and "voila", was up 3 lbs. Well, that meant that I have to really watch things and not get comfortable with my eating. So I have taken the 3 lbs back off, and will definitely keep logging until I get back home in a month, and then continue on my weight loss journey for about another 25 lbs or so. I feel that until I get to goal and eat the maintenance calories to the point of not even thinking about portion size and food selection, I will have to log in.
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When I first hit my goal weight of 130 I stopped logging and surprise suprise, the weight came back. I'm now 128 aiming for 126 and will continue to log even when I hit maintenance.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a lb away from my GW and don't care if I lose that lb any more. I log everything as I'm working body composition more than weight loss.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal weight too and I log everyday. I usually take Friday and/or Saturday night "off" from logging just so I can give myself a mental break. But the next morning I'm back on doing my thing. For me it keeps me on track so I don't stray.

I am 2.5 pounds from switching to maintenance and this is my plan - a goal slightly under maintenance 6 days a week, one day off. I've had 3-4 "free" days per month since I started and it's saved my sanity.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't keep a diary anymore, but I probably should. I still weigh myself to keep myself accountable that way. It is more tempting to cheat after you have reached your goal because you have some sense of accomplishment. The main thing is to KEEP YOURSELF ACCOUNTABLE.
  • Annzatgoal
    Annzatgoal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the many who took time to share your experiences. Only one or two out out of all maintainers (or those closing in on their goal) said they didn't consistently - or even daily - journal their food intake. I noticed a few common threads: one, that when a person stops keeping the diary, he or she was more prone to partake of certain not-so-healthy foods or larger portions (with pounds being re-gained), and the other main one was that it had become a part of their way of life.

A recent experience I want to share: I had a family emergency to tend to, and was away from home in a very unsettling situation for nine days. Didn't have internet at the place I was staying, so only managed to get online twice for a brief time. I didn't journal at all during those days, but, because the habit of almost-daily journaling my meals, knowing my portion sizes and how many servings of the different food groups I should take in daily was so well-established, I made wise choices at least 85% of the time, and came home weighing the same as when I had left.

So after this experience, I'll probably go to journaling a few times a week now, but if my weight should begin to go up, it'll be back to a daily thing. Our church has a First Place 4 Health program, and that helps with accountability, especially since I'm a leader:)
  • monkeyriley
    monkeyriley Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight logging. I went into maintenance mode and figured out what my calorie consumption should while continuing to log.

Now I am at peak training for a marathon coming up. If it wasn't for logging, I would be underweight because I am now need to be consuming an average of 3000- 3300 calories a day. Logging has kept me at my weight and made sure that I am getting enough protein and carbohydrates. When I started training, I quickly learned how much I had to eat back to make up for my calorie deficits and how eating more than the range I was in for my maintenance had become something that was not natural.

I am very thankful for this site because when I transition back to a more normal exercise/running routine, I will use MFP to assist in resetting back to my normalized caloric intake.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!