What to mix protein powder with?

Options
Just realized my milk has gone bad.
Not sure what brand it is, but it's vanilla flavored.

It says you can mix it with water but does that taste really bad (or worse than usual anyways... not really a fan of the flavor to begin with) and are there any alternatives you guys can think of? Thanks!

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake EVERY morning after work outs

I blend with Water, two scoops of protein, 1 banana and usually 1 Tbsp of natural peanut buttor or 3 TSP of PB2 powdered peanut butter, and ice.

But that works for me.. Play with combinations of fruit and water to mix with your whey ..
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Water should work fine, you may want to try the lower suggested amount of water to mix it with, such as if the protein powder says 1 scoop mixed with 6-8 oz of water, try mixing it with 6 oz of water for a thicker texture.

If you don't like the taste, you may want to try another kind to make it a more palatable experience.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Water, greek yogurt/yogurt, oatmeal
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I use water mostly. For variety I put in 1/4 to 1/3 cup coconut milk in with water. I also use coconut water or almond milk occasionally. Sometimes I add some Super Seeds (chia, flax, hemp). I'm using mostly unflavoured whey (with only half a scoop of a flavoured one max) and I like the taste even with just water.
  • Grenon
    Grenon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I mainly use milk or water, I heavily water it down for my mix just because it takes less time to dissolve. It does not taste as good with water but it is only what a few seconds to chug it?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I usually use water, but if not, I mix it with soy milk (Silk Original). You can do all soy milk or half soy milk, half water.

Almond milk also tastes pretty good in it and is lower cal than soy.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with apple juice :D
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I usually mix mine with milk, however I have your same problem. Mine went bad I noticed last night. I had to chug one with water and powder. So this morning I threw the powder in with my yogurt and granola. It was yummy.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with water or fat free milk
  • candywarh0l
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Hey there ! I used to mix with milk ...but now I do water. I throw lots of stuff into my smoothies.

Example of my most common ..post workout.

2 scoops choc protein
    2 tb nut or seed butter ( peanut or sunflower seed usually ..I'm stingy with my almond butter)
    Frozen banana
    Frozen berries
    2 handfuls baby spinach
    Water
    Ice cubes

I've alo used brewed green tea
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Vanilla is great with coffee!!!
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hazelnut milk and frozen fruit

Makes a thick shake

Lucy
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Fruit (regular & frozen), almond milk and maybe a little low cal fruit juice
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt and some chopped up fruit........breakfast EVERYDAY!
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Chocolate isn't bad with water but a scoop and a half to 2 makes it less, well, watery. I haven't tried water with vanilla.

My usual is chocolate with skim milk and vanilla with OJ. 8 oz of whatever liquid.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I use water or skim, one small banana and a tbsp of peanut butter, I prefer the chocolate for this the vanilla gets a little sweet. When I use the vanilla I add berries instead of the banana to add a little tart.

Anyway, water or milk, either way I have to chug it!
  • flslp87
    flslp87 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    crushed ice and a bit of water to get the consistency you like....you can also add any kind of fruit to it to change the flavor......I used to not like it either but have learned to like it and it's a great way to get protein.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    1 scoop protein
    2 packages Starbucks Via instant coffee
    a little bit of non fat milk
    3 packages of splenda
    Water and ice.