What do you bring for lunch?

Options
Hey everyone!

Just wondering what you take to work for lunch? How many calories do you usually allot to it?

Replies

• mama2mila
    Options
    My lunches are generally between 350 and 400 calories. I usually have a salad (mixed baby greens, spinach, romaine, bell pepper, cucumber, light viniagrette) and leftovers from the night before. Today I had a half portion of lasagna, a salad, and half a peach for dessert.
    My favorite lately was 3 oz grilled chicken chopped, 1/2 cup or so of cubed roasted potatoes, 1 cup roasted broccoli... mix together and top with 1/2 oz sharp cheddar cheese. OMG, amazing!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    i usually have brown rice and some type of meat on my plate... I am not much in allotting #s to my meals...
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    light tuna with a bit of light mayo and celery on half a whole wheat pita
    or
    1/2 grilled chicken breast with a little barley or brown rice
    or
    deli meat/cheese on a wrap with some baby carrots
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Forgot to pack one last night... so I had lean cuisine - chicken with basal cream sauce. Better than nothing I guess!
  • _sillystring
    Options
    I've been taking sandwiches to lunch with some sort of healthy side items like celery, carrots, apple sauce, Greek yogurt, stuff like that. What do you take?
  • chris82horseman
    Options
    Always salad but I do mix it up a bit with either chicken or Tuna. Try and keep the calories low at lunch time so I can have a more substantial dinner and not snack on the evenings.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It varies. I will make a large portion of something on Sunday and bring it for lunch for the week. This week's lunch:
    -1/2 cup black bean and tofu taco filling (recipe: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1772)
    -1 flax, oat bran and whole wheat flour tortilla
    -1 cup kale
    -1 tbs whole food's hot salsa
    -1 tsp cholula hot sauce
    -1 tbs nutritional yeast
    -1/5 avocado

227 calories of yum.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My lunches are usually around 350-450 calories. I bring cheese/crackers/fruit a lot and sometimes I get a slice of pizza, or sometimes I bring leftovers from dinner.
  • VakkerB
    VakkerB Posts: 3
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is 1,680, so I allow around 500 per meal so I have a little wiggle room for snacks or "oops" moments. I usually bring leftovers in my lunch, too, I'm just careful about what I bring and how much. Today I had pocket bread with homemade hummus, falafel, and tabouleh salad, topped with a few olives and a few crumbles of feta cheese. Total calories: 511. And I'm full. :)

One day last week I brought leftovers of a rice dish we make and topped it off with peas and corn and a few baby carrot sticks. Another day I brought a few pieces of vege-meat (I'm vegetarian) and a small amount of dip for them, and again some baby carrots. One of the best meals I've had lately, though, was a PILE of different veggies: cucumber, zucchini, baby carrots, yellow bell pepper, and grape tomatoes, with homemade hummus to dip them in.

I also try to drink an entire large water bottle while I'm at work. It not only helps fill me up, it also gets my recommended glasses of water in for the day! :)
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Monday - Thursday I bring a salad and a piece of fruit. I change the salad up by adding one of these: salmon, chicken, tuna, avocado, or hard boiled egg. I also switch up the dressing. I usually have with it a banana, apple or sliced seasonal fruit like watermelon or strawberries.

Fridays I eat out with co-workers ---- YUM! .... and I usually go way over calories/sodium that day :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Almost always leftovers from dinner the night before. If we don't have anything left, usually a tuna sandwich, open faced on bread with cheese + veggies and hummus or chips + salsa.

I don't really allocate calories per meal, but I always plan my day ahead of time, usually the night before. If I'm having a huge lunch, I adjust my calories for snacks or dinner to compensate.