Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff?

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    oh but c'mon, it's so funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S3C4AC908w

No question.

Ironically, you would probably burn more calories doing the actual act it suggests.
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    The iGallop is "interesting" as well. My son rode one of them in a gadget store (i.e. Brookstone or Sharper Image) at the mall. I was rolling on the floor laughing. It just looks wrong in so many ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwocdImA6Z8
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

No question.

Ironically, you would probably burn more calories doing the actual act it suggests.

That's what I keep telling my wife! She ain't buyin what I'm sellin tho! :sad:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options

No question.

6 minutes is all we're askin, right?:bigsmile:
  • Meghan0129
    Options

No question.

6 minutes is all we're askin, right?:bigsmile:
    6 minutes? I'd be happy with half that. :laugh:
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options

grrr, can't get it to load, you tube doesn't always stream right at work, but i will def watch it at home!! they are amusing, but don't you feel a little sad for the people who are conned into thinking these gadgets will work for them? those who are so desperatly looking for that quick magical fix. I know we've all thought about how nice it would be if there were a magically effective gadget.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think if I did some of those ShakeWeight "exercises" with my 8lb free weights, I'd break my own jaw after 30 seconds of shaking!
    :laugh:

That being said, if you're going to waste 2 minutes to start up a ShakeWeight DVD and another 6 minutes ****ing around with the 2.5lb piece of plastic, why not just spend those 8 minutes... I dunno, actually doing reps with free weights? or cans of soup? playing with your kids? having an "amorous moment" with your significant other? Better use of your time... and probably burns more calories! :bigsmile:
  • megan0313
    megan0313 Posts: 394
    Options
    Just checked out the website and I haven't had a good laugh like that in a long time...thanks guys!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    They all know their products are a crock........that's why they put (in tinnie, tiny, little letters) "Results NOT typical" at the bottom of the screen. What a joke!

Edit: And they never show an average person, it's always some ripped or sexy type showing off. Have you ever seen the Bowflex commercial where he says. "I gave all my FAT clothes to my FAT friends"..........That ad makes me want to scream!
  • Meghan0129
    Options
    I actually had, what I refer to as, the shocker belt. It send an electrical current to your mid section to stimulate the muscle. I was young when I bought it. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :laugh:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Ok this thread is hillarious. Great way to waste my lunch time!!
  • karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    you talking about the ab circle...i want that too!!! lol!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Ok this thread is hillarious. Great way to waste my lunch time!!

and your luncy money of so inclined:wink:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    They all know their products are a crock........that's why they put (in tinnie, tiny, little letters) "Results NOT typical" at the bottom of the screen. What a joke!

Edit: And they never show an average person, it's always some ripped or sexy type showing off. Have you ever seen the Bowflex commercial where he says. "I gave all my FAT clothes to my FAT friends"..........That ad makes me want to scream!

My friend was a body builder. He was HUGE (steroids I found out later :frown: ) anyway...........he was hired to pose in an infomercial.

He was told not to work out for 3 days. Then he stood with shoulders bowed, stomach out, sad look...........for the BEFORE shot

Then 30 minutes later after pumping iron he stood up straight, smiled, sucked in and pumped up and took the AFTER picture.

I cant mention the product, but I can tell you from that day forward I NEVER fell for another bottle of anything....
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Just checked out the website and I haven't had a good laugh like that in a long time...thanks guys!

My daughter is ............MOOOOM what are you looking at................Oh, ok. :laugh:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    my Mom wanted to buy these sticks that you walk with and they burn SO many calories....I said get out and walk - that burns calories...you don't have to buy the sticks!

I saw a lady walking with the sticks the other day and I had NOT seen the commercial for them yet...I didn't know what the heck she was doing!!
    I have these, they are called walking poles, they do help get you using your arms more and the heart rate up, that's why I got them, they really get them going!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    The iGallop is "interesting" as well. My son rode one of them in a gadget store (i.e. Brookstone or Sharper Image) at the mall. I was rolling on the floor laughing. It just looks wrong in so many ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwocdImA6Z8

Otherwise known as the iJoy ride... LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drhBcZ4_bq8&NR=1
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    LOL, shakeweight, my wife cracked up when she saw this on Ellen, so I bought it for her as a gag X-Mas present. The thing's a joke IMHO, it pretty much does nothing for you that I could tell. But we laughed for a good five minutes when she opened it, so it was worth the 20 bucks (I'm still returning it!)

Boss, i've never seen one and perhaps you could help me out with this but, couldnt you use it like a vibration plate??
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The shake weight is instructive in that it is a classic case of infomercial techniques.

First of all the device itself: this is a product that uses the concept of the bodyblade. The body blade was a physical therapy tool that had some positive applications for patients with certain conditions. This is a common technique: take a niche or specialized product and try to generalize those narrow benefits to the population at large. This same technique has been used for a number of products: the total gym, electric muscle stimulators, passive workout tables (remember those?) and for some products that actually work, like resistaball, elastic tubing, and medicine balls.

Secondly ,the "research": this is a great technique because it gives the appearance of legitimacy. The machine "proves" greater muscle involvement, so it must be better, right? No--strength training results rely on many other factors than just fiber involvement. The use of "research" to "lie by telling just enough truth" is the preferred technique for ab exercisers.

Then, of course, you have the usual claims of "dramatic results in no time", "no effort", and "new workout technology" with some snazzy name (in this case, Dynamic Inertia).

A couple of things to emphasize: in the past, infomercial marketers didn't care about putting out a piece of obvious crap--they were only interested in picking off the low-hanging fruit and moving on to a new product. Now, almost every item has *some* authentic science or legitimate use behind it--it's the misapplication to the general population that is the scam. However, the dishonesty is more subtle and insidious.

The other thing I like to point out is that ALL fitness products utilize these techniques to some degree. A lot of people on this website who are scornfully laughing at this product have no hesitation in laying out money for P90X, 30 Day Shred, Bowflex, Treadclimbers, etc. I am not saying these products are scams, or that they belong in the same category as the shake weight, but the same misleading techniques are used to market them and they should be approached with the same wariness.

I've used the body blade a lot for patients and actually it's a pretty hard tool for some people to master for sure.