Newbie with daily calorie intake question

Options
Hi I just started my profile.
The recommended daily caloric intake for me is 1250 which seems extremely low compared to most online calculators. I have read going under 1500 can really slow down your metabolism. Is there a way I can set my own daily intake to a more healthy number? Should I take this up with the people that created this site?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rae

Replies

• sissygirls
    Options
    Hello, I am the same page as you, I thought mine was really low as well, hope someone can help! I would like more information as well, welcome to the page!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can set custom goals.

Go to My Home.

Up at the top, click on "Goals".

At the bottom of that page, click the big green button "Change Goals".
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You. An change your calorie goal. Take it off of recommended. 1500 includes exercise 1200 doesn't
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    You can also set your activity level higher to give yourself more calories, if you selected sedentary with a 1-2 lb loss per week, its going to set your goals very low, so up your activity level, and set your goal at 1/2 to 1 lb per week instead.
  • raew77
    raew77 Posts: 4
    Options
    I did include exercise 1hr a day for 5 days.
    Thanks for everyone's help I found where I can customize it :)
  • raew77
    raew77 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks, I took your advice and just upped my activity level a bit.
    It asks for work day but I work part time so the most I spend sitting at my desk job is about 6 hours of my day.
    Then I go home to a 3 year old boy! very active little guy, then I try to fit my walks and workouts. Which I haven't done. I am hoping joining here will help stick to my weight loss journey :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I did include exercise 1hr a day for 5 days.
    Thanks for everyone's help I found where I can customize it :)

Just an FYI: MFP doesn't count your exercise until you actually log it as completed.

And I think you were right to change the activity level. You can't have a toddler and be sedentary unless you have a nanny! :laugh: