salad dressing

Options
2»

Replies

• slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love Bolthouse Farms salsa ranch yogurt dressing! It tastes great and only has 45 calories and 3 grams of fat in 2 tbsp.

THIS! We just discovered them this weekend. I have the Honey Mustard, I LOVE it!! I brought it over to my moms house, and I kept dipping the tip of my finger on the lid, my mom offered me a straw lol. Cant get enough!
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I use the dry packets (i.e Good Seasons etc) Italian, and make it with more water (as on the package) than oil.

When using other dressings (i.e bottled or from restaurants) I dip the fork tines into the dressing (which I always ask for on the side) and then pick up the salad fixins.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    Homemade! I bought a cool bottle that has like 8 different dressing recipes on it. You fill the ingredients to the line and then shake. I love it!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I use regular dressing...I work it into my numbers. Compared to what I USED to put in a salad, I don't use nearly as much now.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I buy Kraft dressing in calorie wise. I usually won't have a dressing if it is more than 35 cals per 1tbsp, and I measure it out.
    What I do is make my salad in a bowl with a lid... I put on the dressing, then the lid and shake the heck out of it. Makes using 1tbsp of dressing enough :)
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes sells this Light Cilantro dressing that is soo darn good and 45 calories for 2 tbsp. My favorite by far!
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i hate all kinds of dressing i just pile on the cheese :)
  • 48vixen
    48vixen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I make my own! Super easy and not as many calories. I bought this book called Very Salad Dressing by Teresa Burns great book. Raspberry vinaigrette only 32 calories in 2 tbsp.
  • Justa_Paperbag
    Justa_Paperbag Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like vinegar best - balsamic is my favorite, as well as red wine, and apple cider with a little splenda (or sugar) and salt and pepper goes really well over spinach and strawberries (my summer favorite).
  • Nightelyn
    Options
    I use balsamic vinegar and maybe a drizzle of EVOO. Ranch dressing is the one I stay away from with salad, because it has SO much fat in it.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I tend to not use salad dressing. If I do, I'd rather make it myself, as it is so easy to do, and most dressings contain preservitives and soybean oil (which my husband is allergic to). Most of the time I'll make a salad and add 1 tsp - 1tbsp each of nuts/cheese and a dried fruit, then squeze some lemon or lime on - this is your fat, sugar and acidity (which every dressing tends to have) all rolled up, at a fraction of the calories.
  • JoyBouter
    JoyBouter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My standard salad dressing is 1 tsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar or lemon juice with some powdered dressing mix (both Ranch and Italian taste good) or just combine salt & pepper plus herbs and spices of your choice. If you need to do this ahead of time (say as a work lunch) you can toss your salad in the oil beforehand and just mix the vinegar and spices in a small container to pour over just before eating. This tastes super yummy and keeps my (big!) salad just about 100 calories (with just veggies, but other add-ins aren't nearly so many calories as full-fat dressing). Also, 0% Greek yogurt makes a fabulous dressing or dip with the addition of a couple minced cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, a little lemon juice and parsley - seriously, you'll think it's packed with calories, but it's not! Other than that, there are a few good lower calorie dressings out there. I like Kraft Calorie wise Poppyseed. Good luck!
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    I make dressings all the time. Here are two of my faves.

Green dressing

1 c olive oil

1 c fresh basil leaves

1 c chopped scallions white and green parts (about 6 or 7)

1/4 c fresh squeezed lemon juice about 2 lemons ( i usually add more)

2 t kosher salt

1 teaspoon of black pepper

I blend all ingredients to the blender. It makes a ton I store it in a canning jar in the fridge.

Miso dressing

1 T miso (i use south river adzuki bean. you can use any brand)

1 T olive oil (i also replace the oil with water sometimes or even add a couple more tablespoons of water. it depends how ginormous my salad is)

1 T agave

1 clove minced garlic

2 cloves of garlic chopped (i usually do 4 to 6 cloves)

****Note sometimes I will add a T of balsamic to this one as well****

Mix ingredients up in your salad bowl and then add salad ingredients( i add one ingredient at a time and toss with the dressing each time)
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I make my own, its a little high in cals, but its a good high, plus, my salads dont consist of anything other than greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, so I can always have the extra cals and fat in mine. My fav is:

1/2 tbs of EVOO
    1/2 tbs of apple cider vinegar
    1/2 tbs of Grey Poupon Creamy Dijon
    1/2 packet sugar substitute ( I use truvia)
    touch of sea salt & pepper to taste.
    Nutrition: 60 cals, 7g fat.

Whisk well. I also toss my salad with my dressing so it lightly coats all the greens instead pouring on top, I find you need much less dressing this way.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1 pkg hidden valley ranch
    1/4 c nonfat milk
    1 c nonfat greek yogurt

So yummy with only about 40 cals per serving
    I love ranch and this didn't disappoint
  • Punchabear
    Options
    I've been sticking to vinaigrette (even though I love honey mustard and ranch) because it isn't high in calories, and it's still got a good full flavor to it. I put it on a salad with turkey cubes, banana peppers, some crumbled cheese and maybe some olive slices. It's pretty good like that and usually under 200 calories.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I'm picky about dressing. Unless I'm eating Italian food I don't care for Italian dressing much and any kind of honey mustard or vinagrettes is out of the question. eww. I only like ranch. And I don't like lite dressing either. I used to use Hidden Valley regular bottled dressing but it's really high in fat. I might as well eat fries instead of salad! So here's what works for me:

*I make the hidden valley DIP with the dry mix and lite or fat-free sour cream. It's a bit thick but if the produce for the salad is still a bit damp from washing then it's ok when I stir up the salad.

*I noticed a little dollop of fat free cottage cheese and a tiny bit of ranch on top of my green salad and it makes it seem like I have more dressing than I do. The cottage cheese gives it the illusion of more ranch because its creamy.

*Sometimes I like to use a sprinkle of salad seasoning in addition to my salad dressing. McCormick makes a good one called Salad Supreme. It's spices so its fat free but be careful not to use too much, the sodium in it is high.
  • carneson3
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Dressing. About 45 calories for 2 tablespoons sometimes less?...HELLO!