Making big dishes to last days and freeze

Options
So I'm starting school soon and I'm trying to get in the habit of preparing a big pot of something like soup or chili each week so I have premade meals and don't have to worry about cooking 3 times a day while I'm busy with other priorities, and so I can freeze a couple portions of each dish so there will eventually be a nice variety of meal options on hand.

I need ideas for dishes! I make an awesome chicken soup with veggies and brown rice, and my black bean, butternut squash and chard chili is great too, but I'll need more ideas than that to keep this interesting. What large, one pot, freezer friendly meals do you cook? Soups, casseroles, or anything along those lines...

Replies

• AthenaArcher
    AthenaArcher Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A great place to start are the books called cooking for your freezer and once a month cooking you can find them at most library's and a lot of the recipes are online just Google freezer cooking. :)
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    That's a great idea, thanks.
  • AngelUpSideDownCake
    AngelUpSideDownCake Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I make individual pot pies. I make all the filling in one pot and use store-bought dough over the top in individual aluminum pot-pie pans. They freeze well. Today, I also made individual shepherd's pies to freeze (but that requires more than one pot lol).
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    - Potato dill soup - chicken broth, carrots (optional), fresh dill, onion, cooked chicken breast (optional), a touch of cream
    - tortelini soup - small package of tortelini, chicken broth, mixed frozen veggies (brocolli, carrot colliflour), herbs: oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram
    - beef barley soup w/ veggies
    - split pea and ham