Ankle Swelling From Old Injury - Suggestions?

Options
In February 2011 I sprained my left ankle pretty badly, it took about 2 weeks for the bruising to fade and about a month before I could walk without it swelling. It really has not given me any trouble since then. Since I've begun exercising, it has started to swell for a few hours after my workouts. I alternate between biking, walking/jogging and 30 DS about 6 days a week. It's not really giving me any pain, but I'm afraid I may be putting too much strain on it. I'm wondering if it would help to use an ace bandage (lightly wrapped) or sleeve when I work out? Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Replies

• econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have no answer for you but I'm having pretty much the same issue!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I had an ankle injury and the doctor gave me the impression that it wasn't going to heal right until I lost the weight. I would probably take Motrin as an inflammatory and would ice it to help it out. If it's really bothering you, call the doctor up. You may have to have it looked at again or they might be able to inject it to help reduce it. Mine has never quite healed right but I also have a 45 minute commute (both ways so it's like 2 hours) which means I need to lose the weight to help it heal. Sigh. Either way, I totally sympathize.
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    Yeah, my ankles have always been weak and have a tendency to roll on a whim. Usually it isn't an issue, but that time I had managed to do it while walking on cobblestone steps on vacation. Needless to say I tumbled pretty horribly on my first night there. >.<
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    No suggestions? :(
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    <======== has no clue
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    Ouchie! Hope it heals soon!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to keep an eye on your sodium intake. I have an old injury and my ankle swells sooooo easily. Since I've been keeping and eye on my sodium and drinking lots of water, I've had zero swelling in my ankle or calf. MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

ETA: You can even try compression socks (derp, I know) when you work out. They help me when I need them.
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Use Ice. Keep it elevated and take an anti inflammatory like ibuprofen. Unless it causes you pain I wouldn't worry, but if the swelling is really bad, best thing is to go to your doctor.

Good luck!
  • ksouthards
    Options
    <--- broken ankle, no cartilage left. Compression (diabetic) socks help, as does ice and tylenol. I just expect to swell and hurt after a solid workout. Elevate it when you can too. And good shoes!!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Use Ice. Keep it elevated and take an anti inflammatory like ibuprofen. Unless it causes you pain I wouldn't worry, but if the swelling is really bad, best thing is to go to your doctor.

Good luck!

You can do this.

Also get a compression ankle sleeve. Stretch really good before exercises.
    Interwebz search for ankle stretches.
  • historygirldd
    historygirldd Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I had a bad sprain in February of 2010 and spent a couple of months on crutches. My ankle still gives me trouble. I was hoping someone had an answer to your question. Sorry I have no advice, I sometimes soak it in epsom salt when it is really bothering me.
  • pattyriggs
    pattyriggs Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have always dealt with major ankle swelling issues and it has worsened since I shattered it 4 years ago. (13 lag screws and a plate needed to put it back together.) You should check into specific exercises to strenghten the tendons and ligamints in your ankle. If you are a member of a gym, they should have someone on staff to point you in the right direction. I do calf raises on a step bench (50+ per rep, 3 sets) at least once a day at home and balance exercises on a bosu ball, ankle flexions, and standing calf raises at the gym. You may also need to evaluate your shoes and socks. If your shoes are tied to tightly, it increases the swelling. Also most athletic style socks are so tight around the ankle (even the lowest cut ones) that they effect the swelling. I've had to switch to "diabetic" socks when working out and anytime I wear my hiking boots, which can be found in the pharmacy section of you favorite mega-store. Hope this helps.
  • Hibiscus1984
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback, definitely some things I'm going to try!