In need of GERD and IBS friendly recipes

Options
jolinemariem
jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
I have G..E.R.D. (acid reflux) and I.B.S. (irritable bowel) I have had both of these for years but have never worried about what I eat (I just deal with the consequences) So I have been having some issues recently that I don't wish to discuss (and yes I've seen a Dr.) and have decided to monitor my diet. At the moment I can not have a lot of things......Dairy, red meat, tomato, deep fried, spicy, citrus or acidic, garlic, raw onion, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, carbonation just to name the most common. This is temporary untilI I find what bothers me in particular.

So any recipes that don't include these things?

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I have several friends who've suffered from GERD and IBS and it's definitely tough. Have you asked your doctor about Celiacs disease. I know of several friends who resolved some of those issues just by going wheat free. It might be something to look into. It couldn't hurt. Did your doctor give you a list of foods he says you're allowed? That would help anyone whose trying to help you with recipes.
  • jolinemariem
    jolinemariem Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    nope just normal sutff people like me shouldnt eat.....i have had an upper endoscopy done now im going in to get a colonoscopy yay :grumble: ....and that is something i have thought about i just have to get my body normal again for at least a week before i want to reintroduce things to see what bothers me....i just wish their was a test that would say this it what bothers you :grumble: but it doesnt work that way lol
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have G..E.R.D. (acid reflux) and I.B.S. (irritable bowel) I have had both of these for years but have never worried about what I eat (I just deal with the consequences) So I have been having some issues recently that I don't wish to discuss (and yes I've seen a Dr.) and have decided to monitor my diet. At the moment I can not have a lot of things......Dairy, red meat, tomato, deep fried, spicy, citrus or acidic, garlic, raw onion, chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, carbonation just to name the most common. This is temporary untilI I find what bothers me in particular.

So any recipes that don't include these things?

i gave up gluten, it changed my life, ask your doctor. There are a lot of gluten free products out there and great on line support, goggle it. good luck.
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pick up s book on paleo. Also try the website nomnompaleo.com.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be tested for Celiac's - make sure you're eating wheat! If you gave it up before the test, it won't appear at all. Also, some people don't test positive for it so even the test may not help you.

Ironically, it's pretty easy to find out if you're affected by wheat gluten - just avoid wheat. You've got years and year to eat it. What if it works? I know the Paleo diet is one option and so is going gluten free. I usually only eat rice, oatmeal (if labeled gluten free) and I am very careful about spices and stuff you cook with as some may have gluten. If you decide to go that route, at least it'll eliminate one possibility.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to large recipe websites with ingredient searches and the option to exclude some ingredients. It's not ideal, but it's a start. Here's the allrecipes ingredient search link.

http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?ms=1&origin=Home Page&qt=i
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Kari_L_Moore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just got a cookbook called "Dropping Acid:The Reflux Diet Cookbook and Cure". It lists the Ph of lots of foods and has a ton of recipes in it. It should help with GERD. We just got it yesterday, so I can't really say how much it helps yet, but my bf gets really bad reflux and we are hoping it will help.