Stress eating help!

Options
I'm 21 and this is my last year before I graduate. I've always been chubby and I want to make a change before I enter the real world. I'll be heading back to college this week, and school is a big trigger for my stress eating. I want to fill the dorm with healthy options should this happen. I've really only just started watching my portion sizes and everything and I know what I am eating is still mostly crap, just less of it. Also, I really can't cook anything other then eggs and ramen....

Anywho What all should I buy to start getting my diet on track so I don't get all malnourished and die from scurvy or some other nonsense. Basically what does a balanced diet look like?!

Replies

• katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Lots of colourful veg. Quite a few can be eaten raw, but learning to cook a few basic things wouldn't hurt. Natural yogurt. Ryvitas or oatcakes, avocado, berries, soups. Good luck :drinker:
  • literaryweasel
    Options
    Baby carrots, celery sticks, grapes, apples, bananas... I like Goldfish crackers for a quick snack; they're not the healthiest thing in the world but I'm realistic about my salt cravings and I measure out serving sizes. If you don't have strong willpower then you might want to buy pre-packaged serving sizes, like 100 calorie packs.

I think one of the best things you can invest in is a small scale and a set of measuring cups. That will keep you honest. I recognized that I used to "convince" myself that I really wasn't eating THAT much, that LOOKED like 1/2 cup, etc. In reality I was eating something like double the suggested portion size.

Spend some time at the grocery store and take a long, hard look at the nutrition facts on everything. You might be surprised.

Incidentally, you mention stress eating... I'm a grad student trying to get my dissertation done within the next year, and I'm dealing with very stressful family problems while I'm 2200 miles away from home. So I am quite familiar with stress eating. :p I've decided recently to take up crafts--whatever strikes my fancy. So earlier when I got a call from home with some bad news, my instincts told me "CUPCAKES!!!" but I reached for knitting instead. I'm by no means a good knitter, but it kept my hands and mind occupied. And there was no guilt when I was done. It might be a good idea to find something like that which can be a release for you, but isn't calorie- or guilt-laden.

Best of luck as you start the new semester!! :)
  • v2embee
    v2embee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A slow cooker (crock pot) is probably something you might like then? Zero cooking skills required. You just have to cut your ingredients and chuck 'em in.

My ideal balanced diet would include:
    1 x palm sized protein (e.g. chicken)
    2 x above portion with veggies
    1 x palm sized carbs (e.g. rice)
    Repeat for each meal.
    Throughout the day, have some fruit or vege, and water.

Still a struggle to stick to it (I stress-eat, bored-eat, etc as well), but planning ahead helps.
    I've been using the slow cooker on the weekends to make the bulk of my meals for the week.
    Portion them out, and freeze 'em.
  • kimmireads
    kimmireads Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I so can relate to stress eating; especially when taking classes. As for well balanced--there tends to be many schools of thought on what that actually looks like. Keep fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, whole grain cereals (some you like without milk and can just munch on) and things like that on hand for snacking instead of the things like chips, candy, and pop (soda). I found a site that might be helpful for you called www.choosemyplate.gov.
  • BWALE
    BWALE Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Commitment to improving your health and lifestyle is a first big step. If you have access to a Registered Dietician or Nutritionist I would suggest pursuing that route. Portion sizes are important along with A balanced "food Plan". Your Food Plan should include Protein, Carbs, Fat, Fiber, Low Sodium, just to name a few of the top leaders. For Example: You could eat dairy, eggs, fish,red meat, chicken, vegetables, Hemp hearts as part of your protein. Examples of "fat" could be avocados, sardines, olive oil, goat gouda. Try to Keep the portions small. Fiber can be consumed thru apples, beans, peas, chia seeds, avocados, artichokes, flax seeds. It would be wise to make a concerted effort to learn to prepare and or cook the foods you enjoy. It can really make a difference in maintaining your weight. You control what goes into the meal. Keep reading and resourcing. YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • kidchewy2
    kidchewy2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, celery sticks, grapes, apples, bananas... I like Goldfish crackers for a quick snack; they're not the healthiest thing in the world but I'm realistic about my salt cravings and I measure out serving sizes. If you don't have strong willpower then you might want to buy pre-packaged serving sizes, like 100 calorie packs.

I think one of the best things you can invest in is a small scale and a set of measuring cups. That will keep you honest. I recognized that I used to "convince" myself that I really wasn't eating THAT much, that LOOKED like 1/2 cup, etc. In reality I was eating something like double the suggested portion size.

Spend some time at the grocery store and take a long, hard look at the nutrition facts on everything. You might be surprised.

Incidentally, you mention stress eating... I'm a grad student trying to get my dissertation done within the next year, and I'm dealing with very stressful family problems while I'm 2200 miles away from home. So I am quite familiar with stress eating. :p I've decided recently to take up crafts--whatever strikes my fancy. So earlier when I got a call from home with some bad news, my instincts told me "CUPCAKES!!!" but I reached for knitting instead. I'm by no means a good knitter, but it kept my hands and mind occupied. And there was no guilt when I was done. It might be a good idea to find something like that which can be a release for you, but isn't calorie- or guilt-laden.

I'm a Graphic design major, so crafts wont be a problem haha I have plenty of those to do! I hope your family matter gets worked out soon and you nit an awesome hat! Thanks for the advice, measuring cups are definitely on my list!
  • kidchewy2
    kidchewy2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You guys rock, I'm making a whole word document now on new things I need to look into. Please Keep them coming! I am completely out of my element!
  • literaryweasel
    Options

I'm a Graphic design major, so crafts wont be a problem haha I have plenty of those to do! I hope your family matter gets worked out soon and you nit an awesome hat! Thanks for the advice, measuring cups are definitely on my list!

Hey, sorry for such a late reply! I'm glad I could help. :) Best of luck!!
  • pinkcycleist
    Options
    Take a deep breath and Remind your self were you are and what you want to accomplish!
  • emilypurplefrog
    emilypurplefrog Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There is a lot more you can eat besides ramen and eggs. I'm sure you have at least a mini fridge/freezer in your room...if not I'd make an investment in one because it can be really helpful to achieve your weight loss goals.

I'm a 21 yearold college senior as well so I totally understand the stress eating.

This is what I would suggest and feel free to add me for support.
    - Keep a bag or two of frozen veggies (those steamer bags) in your mini- freezer
    - a lean cuisine or two or three in your mini-freezer
    - in the fridge keep some lunch meat and cheese if you absolutely have to have it on your sandwich (I do :) )
    - keep some fresh fruit in your fridge.
    - have a food drawer or shelf or shelves
    - on these shelves keep bread, popcorn, low-calorie snacks, soups
    - bring a snack or two with you to classes for the day (I may bring anything from bananas to grapes to peanut butter crackers to even fiber one brownies) I am at school from 9 am to 5:30 pm most days so I bring two snacks. Somedays I eat both snacks and somedays I only eat one.