Night sweats

Options
Omg they're awful! Does anyone else get these? I'm not menopausal and I don't know why I get them but I wake up several times during the night drenched. Does this burn calories? Is it connected to a more active metabolism now that I'm doing more exercise? Sugar? Gah! This must stop (or I better be benefiting from it- LOL) Help!

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    too many carbs does it for me. glad i have a big bed so i can move over to the dry part ;p

it also makes my stomach muscles twitch- it's really weird.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I only really get them if I am sick or have nightmares.

I sleep with the fan on (even in winter) I can't sleep well without it. It's a comfort thing. So I don't think I sweat very much.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't burn calories. You're either going thru menopause or have other health issues.
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    I keep the ambient temp very cool to cold and I also sleep with a fan so I know it isn't temp. Maybe it's carbs though. Never thought of that!
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't burn calories. You're either going thru menopause or have other health issues.

^this
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I often get night sweats as part of my PMS symptoms. Usually for one or two nights a month. I also get them if I've had a large meal near to bed time.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't burn calories.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I do get them. i take Black Cohosh and Flaxseed oil. It works well for me!
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Night sweats that actually drench you are not normal and can mean you have a health issue. I would get thee to a doctor.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Real night sweats are different than just waking up a little sweaty. If you have one, you will know. I am 43 and have had two of them in the past year. My OB/GYN says they are, in my case, a harbinger of menopause. Symptoms can start ten years prior. When they happen to me, I wake up drenched, and the bed is too. I mean wringing wet. It also smells different than my normal sweat. Not bad really but just a distinctive smell.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Do you drink alcohol?
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just looked up "night sweats" on two or three reputable health sites on the web. Apparently, they can be caused by unknown reasons, relatively benign reasons, or really serious reasons. I agree with the good, caring people who say it would be wise to be checked out by a doc.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Its your body blowing water weight.

I bet if you measured the day after you would be down some BF%.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am 44 years old, I have had night sweats for about 8 years now :grumble:

My dr told me it is due to hormone flucuations...I have just learned to live with them....( and I am NOT peri-menipusal, yet either)

Definately check with your dr, though...
  • Baybbee123
    Baybbee123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have been having these too. Along with very drastic mood changes. I talked to my doctor about it and he just prescribed me medication (one I have been on before and he feels I should go back to in order to help with both of those symptoms). Definitely talk with your doctor!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I can't tell how old you are. But, you may be going through peri-menipaus. Have your hormone levels checked.
  • waveindigo
    waveindigo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hmmm. I've also had night sweats since ramping up the exercise. I've had them before when on sugar burning mode, so am not so sure that it isn't just an increased metabolism and "burning some calories"
    It seems to have settled down now, but exercise at night definitely made it worse.
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I get this too and wake up chilled from wearing wet pajamas. My doctor kind of blew it off when I asked a year ago. Maybe I'll ask again. I hope you find a good answer.

Edited to add that I'm only 36 and it's been going on for a few years off and on.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Even if you're not menopausal, this can be related to your hormone cycle. Your estrogen decreases after ovulation, while progesterone increases (even if you're not pregnant), and this can cause night sweats. I sometimes get night sweats (and nightmares!) post-ovulation, closer to the start of my TOM. I'm not menopausal.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am a man, I have night sweats, and I am sure it has nothing to do with menopause, menstruation, alcohol consumption (I don't drink) or anything "acquired." Many (most?) nights I sweat enough to require me to flip my pillow over to the dry side. I am overweight, but within 15 to 20 pounds of what the chart recommends my weight be. I also believe it is a good idea to talk to your Dr, but it is definitely possible it is unrelated to anything "female." Good luck:)