Accurate?

MrsBlaze
MrsBlaze Posts: 52
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a quick question. I worked out on my Wii Fit for a little while, then walked fast on my treadmill all for a total of 30 minutes.:bigsmile: I was wearing my HRM the whole time and it says that I burned 495 calories. :noway: :noway: Could that be right? I know that bigger people burn more calories in a shorter amount of time and I was sweating my bum off, but I just wanted y'all's input. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thanks my fellow MFP's!! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

CW: 229
Height: 5'7"

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    it COULD be accurate. That's about as good as you can get, as everyone burns calories at a different rate. But it doesn't sound abnormal to me, if that helps you at all.
  • Thanks SHBoss1673!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: It does help!!:bigsmile: I thought there was no way that I had burned that many cals in 30 minutes, but now I feel great about it!!! :laugh:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I have a quick question. I worked out on my Wii Fit for a little while, then walked fast on my treadmill all for a total of 30 minutes.:bigsmile: I was wearing my HRM the whole time and it says that I burned 495 calories. :noway: :noway: Could that be right? I know that bigger people burn more calories in a shorter amount of time and I was sweating my bum off, but I just wanted y'all's input. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thanks my fellow MFP's!! :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

CW: 229
    Height: 5'7"

Unless you were doing the equivalent of running at 6.0 mph, your HRM is overestimating your calorie burn. "Walking fast", unless that was accompanied by a fairly steep incline, is not a high enough intensity to burn 1000 Calories an hour. I suspect that you actual max heart rate is higher than the age-predicted max HR that is programmed into your HRM. Thus it is assuming that you are working at a higher intensity than you actually are.

If you want to supply your actual numbers (walking speed, incline, number of minutes, average heart rate if your HRM gives you that number) I can calculate a number for you that can perhaps give you more insight.
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Doesn't it also depend on there current activity level? I know I don't burn as many calories now as I used to. I'm still extremely heavy, but physically I'm in much better shape.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Doesn't it also depend on there current activity level? I know I don't burn as many calories now as I used to. I'm still extremely heavy, but physically I'm in much better shape.

Not really.

People often mistake calorie burn with perceptions of effort.

The energy cost of an activity, say walking 4.0 mph on a treadmill, is relatively fixed. Whether you do it, I do it, an 80 year old man does it, or an olympic marathoner does it--it's still the same energy cost (~4 METS). The amount of calories expended while waking at 4 mph will vary according to the *weight* of the user, not their fitness level.

What changes is that, as you become more fit, that activity (4.0 mph walking) is now a LOWER percentage of your aerobic maximum, and feels easier. But the calorie burn is the same (as long as your weight is the same). One of the goals of improving your fitness is that, with a higher fitness level, you can now work at a higher level and burn more calories.

Now, if you lose weight, then your rate of calories burned may go down, even if you are working harder, because you have lost weight.

When using a heart rate monitor, one may see the calories burned number decrease for two reasons: one, they have not increased workload that much and, since heart rate is lower, HRM assumes your aren't working as hard; two, your fitness level has improved, but the person has not increased the VO2 max setting on the HRM. As people become more fit, they need to revise the settings on their HRMs--lower the weight, lower the resting HR, and adjust the VO2 max number--either by repeating the fitness test (if you have a Polar model with that feature) or estimating it by some other means.

Hopefully, this makes sense.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    it COULD be accurate. That's about as good as you can get, as everyone burns calories at a different rate. But it doesn't sound abnormal to me, if that helps you at all.

What brand HRM do you use wise one? :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

polar F6, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm thinking of buying this one soon as I do a lot of HIIT training type workouts and like the additional functionality.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT80

it does pretty much everything I need, the price is hefty though, 350 bucks.
  • Fiona27
    Fiona27 Posts: 6 Member
    I work out on the wii with the wii fit plus, Your Shape, AE Active and My Fitness Coach and with the 3 latter ones I always get a fabulous calorie burn. I believe it is a true reading. I have a friend who does this with me and she has lost so much weight and toned up really well.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    don't forget that 400+ cal burn she mentioned was not JUST for the 30 min walk, she also mentioned doing the wii fit prior to the walk and saying the HRM gave her that total :smile:
  • Thanks, Adzak, that is very interestng!
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member

polar F6, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm thinking of buying this one soon as I do a lot of HIIT training type workouts and like the additional functionality.

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT80

it does pretty much everything I need, the price is hefty though, 350 bucks.

Thanks! You are my MFP super hero.:bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.