Last time to eat during the day?

Options
Does anyone know what the scientifically or generally accepted time is that you should not eat past. For instance I remember hearing or reading that you should not eat past 7pm. If that true and if so, if you do eat past that time what problems does that cause? Do you lose less, can your body not process that food as well, etc. I would appreciate any feedback. Also, please feel free to add me, we can all use the support. Thanks, Steve:smile:

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know what the scientifically or generally accepted time is that you should not eat past. For instance I remember hearing or reading that you should not eat past 7pm. If that true and if so, if you do eat past that time what problems does that cause? Do you lose less, can your body not process that food as well, etc. I would appreciate any feedback. Also, please feel free to add me, we can all use the support. Thanks, Steve:smile:

Kinda depends, are you a Mogwai by chance?
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options

WINNAR!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I eat some cottage cheese every night about 3 mins before I hop in bed.
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    But seriously.. There really isn't a time... Its a good practice to at least stop eating about 2 -3 hours before bed time. Those who work out very hard every day will get in the habit of taking some type of lean protein like whey protein and water before bed to give your body some protein to help aid in the repair of damaged muscles.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    11:59 PM

only because a minute later is technically the next day....
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, there are reports that will say anything you want them too. Yes, some people said that we shouldn't eat after 7. That was not because our bodies stopped working after 7, but instead because after 7 people tended to sit down in front of the tv and munch mindlessly.

I eat whenever I am hungry and have never had any issues.

As long as you are tracking what you are eating, you can eat whatever and whenever you want.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've tried not eating after 8pm and I've tried eating a light snack right before bed and I honestly haven't seen a difference with either. I've eaten a snack of nuts and milk like 30 mins before i went to sleep and still wake up having lost. Everyone is different though as with you day to day diet you just have to tweak what ya eat as it works for you.
  • relucas81
    Options
    The "don't eat after a certain time" rule is a complete myth. While myths can be annoying, what is so sinister about this one is that if you try to follow this foolish rule, you will likely go to bed hungry, be frustrated thinking about all those hours between dinner and breakfast the next day, etc.

I set aside an evening snack which I have right before bed. This ensures I go to bed full, and gives me something to look forward to after dinner. (Just be sure to brush your teeth!)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Considering your metabolism never stops (unless you are dead) there is NO reason to have a hard stop. Meal timing and meal frequency are complete irrelevant to weight loss. Eat as often or as late as you want.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    There isn't a cutoff time in THE day, just YOUR day. Do not eat more than 2 hours before you go to bed or you will have bad dreams. Perhaps even the dreaded iguana dream. The iguana dream is so terrifiying it will haunt you until your dying day. You will NEVER EVER be the same.
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    The "don't eat after a certain time" rule is a complete myth. While myths can be annoying, what is so sinister about this one is that if you try to follow this foolish rule, you will likely go to bed hungry, be frustrated thinking about all those hours between dinner and breakfast the next day, etc.

I set aside an evening snack which I have right before bed. This ensures I go to bed full, and gives me something to look forward to after dinner. (Just be sure to brush your teeth!)
    right here, 100% correct. Zero scientific evidence that says there are set times you should stop eating. The only reason to avoid certain foods before bed is if they have caused you to experience heartburn.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    the time you eat doesn't make a difference. I though avoid to eat too much too late not to feel bloated at night ^^
  • Sprmc47
    Sprmc47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Band member or rodent?

Nope and Nope
  • Sprmc47
    Sprmc47 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I appreciate the input.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

Brilliant :laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The only reason you should be at all concerned about this is if it affects your quality of sleep. From a weight loss standpoint, it doesn't matter.
  • amybeth83
    amybeth83 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been told that if you can keep about 12 hours between your last meal of the day, and first meal the next day, it helps your body burn more fat. I don't know if this is true, however, I typically try to follow this...if I have my last snack at 9pm, I will have breakfast at 9am the next morning. :)
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    5 hours before bed. 4 is ok, 6 is ideal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    5 hours before bed. 4 is ok, 6 is ideal.

Couldn't be further from the truth.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    About 2-3 hours before bed is what is recommended. The big issue is to not go to bed right after a big meal because digestion will disrupt sleep. If you are hungry in the evenings, have a light snack. It won't undo your weight loss efforts.