The George Costanza Weight Loss Approach

Options
Remember when George Costanza on Seinfeld worked so hard to avoid getting a job? Pretending to apply for Vandalay Industries? Trying to seduce the lady at the unemployment agency? He worked harder to avoid working than he would have if he just got a job.

So many posts on here remind me of that. People asking if this fad diet or that pill or this supplement or that "superfood" works. Asking if HCG is "too good to be true." (I can't find anything GOOD about eating 500 calories a day. :noway: ) Asking if a laxative tea is the way to go. Raspberry keytones.

You don't need the gimmick.

Look, I know I haven't ever been very overweight. I haven't lost much. But many of my friends have, and the same approach worked for them as worked for me. And that's to DO THE WORK.

Eat right. Not too much, not too little. Get good nutrition. Make sure most of your food is at least close to the form in which it is found in nature. Get your heart pumping with regular exercise. Pick up heavy things once in a while.

All the gimmicks and short cuts don't teach you how to eat and live right. They're more work in the long run than just doing the work.

And you won't end up face down in your friend's apartment with your pants around your ankles yelling, "SAY VANDALAY INDUSTRIES!"

Replies

• Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    LMBO right on!!!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Can I get an amen?!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    clapping.gif
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Love it! Just the laugh I needed to start my day. :laugh:
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Perfect.

Though I must admit, the first place my mind went with this topic was the episode where he was trying to combine his two great loves - eating and sex - and had a pastrami sandwich stashed away in his night stand. :sick:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pastrami is the most sensual of the cured meats.
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    clapping.gif

Ahaha, Citizen Kane applause Lorina, nice :)

great post my friend!
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I wish more people would read this and take your advice!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Perfect.

Though I must admit, the first place my mind went with this topic was the episode where he was trying to combine his two great loves - eating and sex - and had a pastrami sandwich stashed away in his night stand. :sick:

:laugh: I love this episode!
  • Modmomma79
    Options
    Great point!
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    AMEN!
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Love this!!!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    :drinker: So true!!!

jalexander_375x375.jpg
  • Evoken
    Evoken Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hahaha awsome.. so ture
  • char_char_piper
    Options
    Remember when George Costanza on Seinfeld worked so hard to avoid getting a job? Pretending to apply for Vandalay Industries? Trying to seduce the lady at the unemployment agency? He worked harder to avoid working than he would have if he just got a job.

So many posts on here remind me of that. People asking if this fad diet or that pill or this supplement or that "superfood" works. Asking if HCG is "too good to be true." (I can't find anything GOOD about eating 500 calories a day. :noway: ) Asking if a laxative tea is the way to go. Raspberry keytones.

You don't need the gimmick.

Look, I know I haven't ever been very overweight. I haven't lost much. But many of my friends have, and the same approach worked for them as worked for me. And that's to DO THE WORK.

Eat right. Not too much, not too little. Get good nutrition. Make sure most of your food is at least close to the form in which it is found in nature. Get your heart pumping with regular exercise. Pick up heavy things once in a while.

All the gimmicks and short cuts don't teach you how to eat and live right. They're more work in the long run than just doing the work.

And you won't end up face down in your friend's apartment with your pants around your ankles yelling, "SAY VANDALAY INDUSTRIES!"

Can I get an AMEN!?!
    Thanks again for 'saying it plain!'
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    Moops
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Great way to put it! I have some friends who just don't believe it really is this simple (not easy necessarily, just a simple idea)...
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Seriously...best.post.EVER!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Throwingkisses.gif
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Right now all I want to do is watch Seinfeld reruns all day. That show is funny every single time.