How do you get enough protein in your diet?

Options
I'm a 19 year old runner, but with a dangerously low calorie/protein level. I can't mentally overcome the idea of eating that much to move more, but I'm realizing that I need to up my /something/ intake before I get too exhausted. I had to climb four flights of stairs this morning for my chemistry lab and could barely do it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I also love making new friends, so if anybody is in the same boat or is willing to meet new people, either way I would love to say hi to you!

Thank you :)

Replies

• cambridgegirl309
    cambridgegirl309 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You've really just got to suck it up and eat more chica. If you want to be an athlete, you have to feed your body. Lean protein: chicken, turkey, ham etc is easy to eat on the go and essential to build and maintain muscle mass.

Think about it like this - more lean muscle = increased resting metabolism. So if you eat more protein (and just more generally) and train, your body will be more efficient. Nothing to lose!
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice! :) I'm also on a campus meal plan and am thus restricted to whatever's available in the cafeteria :/ along with having a crazy sweet tooth. Sometimes in the cafeteria, there's lean meat, sometimes not, and so that's honestly the hardest part about it, not eating for myself. Thank you for that mental image! I need to just get myself some chicken and cook it up to have ready for an on-the-go snack, somehow. Any more tips all?
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    From a quick glance at your diary, you often eat below 1000 calories a day.You need to increase that especially if you are running. Have you tried protein bars?
  • suwonfish
    Options
    For protein my two favorites are chicken breast and tuna. They're really not too expensive. Once I've had 200 gms of either with my 200 mils whole milk I'm basically on my protein and fat targets which leaves the rest for carbs which I've been having (generally) as fruit. It's been working GREAT so far ^^

Eggs, milk, beans, tuna, nuts (lots of fat though), chicken...

My 10 cents.
  • arionaalexis37
    arionaalexis37 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I go to the grocery store and get the cans of chicken. They have about 22 grams in a can and it is only about 120 calories. For lunch I usually have two cans and a little bit of mayo. That is only 240 calories and 44 grams of protein! Plus they taste great!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Since you have a sweet tooth, try Pure Protein bars. They have 20g of protein for only 180-200 calories and they're pretty tasty. I love the Chocolate Deluxe and the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough isn't bad either. They also have one that I believe is called revolution, which has peanuts and caramel... think a slightly less yummy version of a Snickers. Those are great to have on the go or post-workout. You can also try protein powder, which you can mix with milk, orange juice, or water.

For meals, these are some of my go-to items: eggs, turkey sausage and other lean meats, chicken, cheese, milk, Special K Protein Plus cereal, PB2 (or any peanut butter but PB2 is a healthier alternative), tuna, and nuts like almonds or pistachios.

I'm proud of you for trying to fix the way you look at food. Keep up the good work!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I go over on my protein macro almost every day. I eat protein with every meal. Egg whites and sometimes ham & 1 slice of cheese (on whole wheat toast) for breakfast, reduced fat peanut butter for mid-morning snack, turkey for lunch, string cheese & almonds for mid-afternoon snack, and some other kind of lean meat for dinner: chicken, tilapia, or a steak (1X/week on the steak).

Eat more often and have protein with every meal!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It's a little tougher if you have to depend on the cafeteria, but not impossible. Here are things to seek out in the cafeteria(don't forget the salad bar):

-Lean chicken, turkey or beef
    -Eggs
    -Cottage Cheese
    -Greek Yogurt (twice the protein of regular yogurt, but regular yogurt also has protein)
    -Fish
    -Beans (black, pinto, etc.)
    -Nuts and nut butters

In your dorm room you can keep:

-canned tuna, canned chicken, etc. Just check labels to try to keep the fat and sodium content down.
    -nuts and nut butters
    -protein bars
    -protein powder (you can take some with you to the cafeteria and mix it with milk in a blender cup)
    -dried soybeans

I'm sure other folks will have more suggestions, but this will get you started.
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    You've really just got to suck it up and eat more chica. If you want to be an athlete, you have to feed your body. Lean protein: chicken, turkey, ham etc is easy to eat on the go and essential to build and maintain muscle mass.

Think about it like this - more lean muscle = increased resting metabolism. So if you eat more protein (and just more generally) and train, your body will be more efficient. Nothing to lose!

you got it!! right on the money
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm heading to the McAlister's on campus to find myself a grilled chicken salad for dinner. I'm working on making peace between myself and food right now - it's going to be a long and tough journey, but I'm ready for it.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    chicken is usually my go-to. It is pretty lean and has lots of protein. Other than that, beans and eggs. I want to start drinking protein shakes but haven't chocked up the strength to do it yet. LOL I'm scared of them tasting chalky....
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, greek yogurt, salmon are my choices for protein but try to have leaner red meat once or twice a week.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    If you cut out most of the processed foods and refined carbohydrates, replacing them with whole foods (plant or animal), you should be able to get enough protein without issue.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Protein Drinks
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Eat some meals, girl! It looks like you skip breakfast and lunch entirely - can't get protein if you're not eating! When I was in college I did the same thing, so I get it, I really do, but try at least a meal bar for breakfast (those usually have protein) and a sandwich or salad with meat for lunch.

It can be really hard to get enough protein even with eating full meals, so I'd suggest just starting there. Once you're in the habit of eating at LEAST 1200 a day, try incorporating egg whites and cottage cheese for protein. If you eat meat, chicken, seafood, and lean pork and beef are good, if not - beans and rice.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal bread, pulses, mushrooms, vegan pates, quinoa.
  • CiaraMSavage
    Options
    How about peanutbutter & oatcakes?
  • soupsma1
    Options
    I, too have difficulty getting enough calories in some days (others...not so much). Again, I also have a sweet tooth (it's what helped get me 50 lbs overweight). Here are a few things I do to make sure I have enough each day and so that it is balanced...

Greek Yogurt (This is perfect!!!!!!! High protein, zero fat...middle calories)
    I throw a scoop of protien powder in regular oatmeal with some berries (I'm sure the campus cafeteria has oatmeal...bring along a scoop of protein powder)
    String cheese
    Skim Milk
    Almond Butter
    Raw Almonds/walnuts etc
    My husband lives on muscle milk...I personally can't stand protein drinks they are too sweet for me.

As far as sweet is concerned...do you have a Peachwave near you??? 80 calories for 3 oz...no fat depending on the flavor.
    McDonalds soft serve vanilla cone 170 calories
    Blue Bunny Big Fudge Bar 90 cal 0 fat
    Special K Fruit and Yogurt Cereal with 1/2 cup of skim milk (tastes like dessert to me)

Try to stay away from boxed/processed food. Fill your place with fresh veggies/fruits. I get so very tired of hearing about the sugars in fruits and to stay away from them. Nobody ever got fat because they ate too many strawberries or bananas.

Hope this helps...feed that body the lean protein it needs and you will feel amazing!!!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Up your protein by 50g (typically 1g per lb of lean body mass) and add some healthy fats (minimum of .45g per lb of lean body mass) such as almonds, avocados, and coconut milk. If you were to add those things on your diary today, you'd supply your athletic body with the nutrition it needs to thrive.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    protein powder! greek yogurt, lean meats