Calf Cramps

Options
Every time I work out, my calves get super tense. I'm not dumb, I stretch for at least 20 minutes before I got on my 30 minute walk/run; but my calves STILL get cramps, and now it's spreading to my foot. I don't have any equipment, can't afford it, so I do basic stretches- is there anything else I can do? Any special warm ups ya'll know about? Lemme know!!

(On a side note; I exercise outside. Usually uphill)

Replies

• b_mour
    b_mour Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cramping can be from dehydration or potassium.
  • b_mour
    b_mour Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My muscles in my foot was cramping due to muscles in my upper leg having tension in them. Yoga is helping
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Do you do some post workout stretches?

How about calf specific stretches? I had an issue for a while where my calves were cramping when I would take spin class or use the stair master. I always make sure to do this stretch

hwkb17_077.jpg at least twice while warming up.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    dont stretch before working out, WARM UP before and stretch after.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    a banana a day keeps calf cramps away.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    cramping can be from dehydration or potassium.

I think that it's most likely from potassium. If you are stretching your calf muscles after you warm up and before you work out, then it is likely a potassium/hydration issue. I know that before I incorporated bananas into my regular diet, I was having cramping issues as well.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't get them very often, but every once in a while when I've been skimping on my fluids for a few days.

When I experience calf cramps it's because I'm dehydrated and my potassium is low. I eat a banana most days or every other day and I make sure I get my 8 glasses of water in every day and that I've had some water already before I work out. If it happens several times in a row, I starting skip all forms of caffeine before I work out.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Maybe do both if there are issues, but you really need to stretch the muscles before they are worked.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I was getting awful cramps in my legs, I tried the extra water and a banana a day thing still got them. it was so bad i told my dr. She said get more calcium. I started taking caltrate and i have not had any cramps since.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I was getting awful cramps in my legs, I tried the extra water and a banana a day thing still got them. it was so bad i told my dr. She said get more calcium. I started taking caltrate and i have not had any cramps since.

Great comment! OP should check all her micronutrients, I think.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options

Maybe do both if there are issues, but you really need to stretch the muscles before they are worked.

You need to WARM UP the muscles before worked, and stretch them afterwards.
  • vtachycardia
    Options

You need to WARM UP the muscles before worked, and stretch them afterwards.

Yes it is WARM UP (for skeleton and joints) and then DYNAMIC STRETCH (muscle and joints) , then WORKOUT then STATIC STRETCH (muscles) - then COOL DOWN, you really should not stretch cold muscles.

For the OP, I use tennis balls for self-massage or myofascial release. http://www.floota.com/SMR-Calves.html is one link as to how to, there are tons more.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Warm up before / Stretch after

Drink plenty of water

And calf cramps could be a sign of doing "too much, too soon". So maybe take a day or two off from lower body exercises and cardio and see if that helps. Your legs need a chance to recover.

You can also try getting a sports massage.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Depends what you mean by 'stretch'. You certainly don't do static stretches before - that's actually been demonstrated to cause injury. You do dynamic stretches - or more typically what's described as 'warm up' exercises.
    And what we traditionally describe as 'stretches' should be done after.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Water and bananas can help a lot. You need to warm up before you stretch; like a brisk 5 minute walk. Then stretch.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    I used to get cramps too. The only thing that helped was to keep going, I don't mean push through the pain, slow down when it hurts, then keep going. Eventually they stopped.
  • blakDC
    blakDC Posts: 3
    Options
    when i first started walking on the treadmill it happened to me too! like, to the point where i had to get off and take a break. but the more you do it, the faster it'll go away. drink more water, maybe gradually up your incline too. but keep going, it will go away! oh, and calf exercise help too!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do you try to land on your heel when you run? Until recently, this was how everyone was taught to run, but it can stretch the calf uncomfortably and lead to stress injuries.

For most people it's more natural to land on the mid-foot. Let your leg swing forward naturally until it's directly under your body (NOT in front of it) without forcibly lifting the toes and it should find a comfortable landing position that's right for you.

Google running gait and mid-foot landing to read more.
  • jwalworth
    jwalworth Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    As an FYI (maybe not needed) I know that often people use the words "dynamic stretches" and that doesn't help much. Think old school calisthenics (although not exactly) -- for a specific routine / example, here is one I like (and even though the person in the video is female -- this works just as well for men):

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I kept cramping on a particular move in pole. Did it ~ 15 times and I cramped 100% of the time. My pole teacher had heard from a reputable source that tonic water can provide a quick term solution to cramping due to the taurine. I was not convinced, but we went out and bought tonic water and I drank it. I must have done the same move another 10-15 times and the cramping was completely gone, so I could get further into the move.

I'm not saying this was definitely caused by the tonic water, but they certainly are correlating. I'm not going to say tonic water definitely helps (as I've only tried this fix once) but it might be worth giving it a go. Diet tonic doesn't have as much taurine in it (if it is indeed due to the taurine), so stick to the real stuff (25 kcal/100 ml).

Edited to add: yes, the cramp was in my calf!