fit bit

Options
Thinking about investing in a fit bit. I am looking for input from those who have one. Do you like it? Is it easy to use? Is it worth the money? Has anyone found something that is comparable that is cheaper?

Any info that anyone can give would be great!

Thanks,
Karen

Replies

• Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I have also thought about getting one and would love to hear the feedback as well.
  • kimpossible5
    Options
    I would like to know the answer to this as well. Fit Bit vs BodyBugg or Body Media FIT? vs whatever else is out there....
  • clemsonsaint
    Options
    I have used my fitbit for over a year now and I love it. It does a pretty good estimation of calories burned daily and during exercise. Plus you do not need to enter every exercise you do. Just wear the fitbit and it automatically adjusts on MFP.
  • Mrs_Winfrey
    Mrs_Winfrey Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fit bit! I have had it for about 2 weeks now, and it is amazing how much it pushes you to do more! It has become like a little competition with myself ;)
  • stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm a new fitbit(er) and I've got mixed feelings about it... my workouts, classes etc are all quite varied. Some focus on cardio/running/stepping which the fitbit is absolutely fabulous for. Others focus on weight or endurance training which the fitbit is not-so-great for. I think it really depends on what you want to use it for.

That being said, it's an addictive little thing! If I know I'm close to reaching a goal set for me by fitbit, I might climb the stairs a few extra times or take the long way home from the store. It really does make you want to push yourself that extra bit!
  • MzLegette72
    Options
    I love my fitbit, I've been using it since March of this year, it has truly caused me to push myself further and further (ex. yesterday I walked 40,000 steps in a day, just to get my badge, lol). Now I challenge myself to do 10,000 steps before I come to work in the morning. Anyway I love the fact that in works together with MFP, so like someone else mentioned after you log in your workouts, the fitbit will make the adjustments (so that your calories count). Its tiny and very easy to wear. I used it in the beginning to monitor my sleep pattern (which was crappy) but now has improved tremendously, but I don't monitor my sleep as often anymore. My husband has one now and we challenge each other for steps, miles, etc.

As an extra bonus the customer service at fitbit is OUTSTANDING. My fitbit was washed by accident (and worked after it dried out) and then the second time I forogot to take it off my bathing suit before Aqua Zumba and after placing it in rice for 24 hours and resetting it, it began working again, but customer service offered to replace my fitbit if it didn't work after the rice trick.

So basically I'm saying it really depends on what you want the fitbit for. It's NOT a heart rate monitor but it has helped in my weight loss goals.
  • OSUChristina
    OSUChristina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and have been using it for about 4 months. It definitely helps to make sure you are upping your activity in a day. That being said, you do have consider that it takes into account steps only. Regardless, I love it. You can also use it in conjuction with a program called Earndit to earn free GCs for free fitness-related items. I just purchased a GoSportID with mine and I love it. I'm getting lots of compliments about it and it is a definite conversation piece.

I would love a BodyBugg but I wanted something a little cheaper and less conspicuous as first. I hope that makes sense.

Christina
  • neveradullmoment
    Options
    Thanks to those who have been able to give me more info on the fit bit!!
  • NorthwestPA
    NorthwestPA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and just love using it :)
  • cindysuew
    cindysuew Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I received a Fitbit for a gift. Only got it yesterday. Synced it and did everything I thought I was supposed to do on the Fitbit site as well as here.

I'm confused as when I tracked here my 60 minute walk (including hills, etc.) it said I burned approximately 300 calories or so. I know it's age/weight, etc.

This morning I clipped on the fitbit between my bra like recommended. Did my walk and it said I burned 937 calories and walked 3.88 miles.

On this site, even if I jogged an hour, I wouldn't burn 937 calories.

I've tried to read manual on the fitbit and read through their forums as well as here and I'm obviously not getting something right. I thought I only had to clip it on and go. But then I saw here that there is a start/stop time. If the fitbit is wireless it should sync.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thinking about investing in a fit bit. I am looking for input from those who have one. Do you like it? Is it easy to use? Is it worth the money? Has anyone found something that is comparable that is cheaper?

Any info that anyone can give would be great!

Thanks,
    Karen

I love mine. For me it was worth the money. I wear it 24-7 (it has a sleep band for tracking how restful sleep is for you) and have not been disappointed yet.

Have you checked out the FitBit Group on here yet? Lots of FitBit users there that can give info too. Cheers! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • princessage117
    princessage117 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I recommend buying it directly from their site and make sure you save the email receipts and things just in case it breaks. Mine broke ( in the washer on accident) and I emailed them and they sent me a brand new one! I am still not totally familiar with the website, I love the graphs, though. I love to check the fitbit throughout the day and after I sleep and all the time! Once you have one, it's like a cell phone, you feel weird without it!
  • Comfortableme
    Comfortableme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I got my fit bit the end of June and I love it. It really challenges me to get 10,000 steps in daily. As someone else posted, I will walk up extra flights of stairs and go the long way to different offices on Campus just to add in more steps. I love that it syncs with MFP. I log my food on MFP and it syncs over to the fit bit site. The reports that it generates are very good. My gym partner and I both have one and we challenge each other to beat the others steps for the week. It really keeps me motivated to keep moving.
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I received a Fitbit for a gift. Only got it yesterday. Synced it and did everything I thought I was supposed to do on the Fitbit site as well as here.

I'm confused as when I tracked here my 60 minute walk (including hills, etc.) it said I burned approximately 300 calories or so. I know it's age/weight, etc.

This morning I clipped on the fitbit between my bra like recommended. Did my walk and it said I burned 937 calories and walked 3.88 miles.

I've tried to read manual on the fitbit and read through their forums as well as here and I'm obviously not getting something right. I thought I only had to clip it on and go. But then I saw here that there is a start/stop time. If the fitbit is wireless it should sync.

Have you set your stride length for both walking and running? That could skew your fitbit tracking quite a bit.
    And remember that it shows calories burned for every step you make while the fitbit is on you. I wear mine 24/7

As for the start/stop times.. that's so that fit bit knows Not to count the calorie burn twice when MFP cross posts to fitbit.
    Peek in the Fitbit area here if you haven't already and they might be able to get you going. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • cindysuew
    cindysuew Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Have you set your stride length for both walking and running? That could skew your fitbit tracking quite a bit.
    And remember that it shows calories burned for every step you make while the fitbit is on you. I wear mine 24/7

As for the start/stop times.. that's so that fit bit knows Not to count the calorie burn twice when MFP cross posts to fitbit.
    Peek in the Fitbit area here if you haven't already and they might be able to get you going. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

Thanks for the help.....I didn't set the stride as I'm only walking and not running. And this was quoted from the fitbit site: "The default stride length is based on your gender and height and should be fairly accurate. Generally speaking, it's better to use the defaults than to incorrectly calculate your stride length"

I only put it on when I did my hour walk and it was the first time using it this morning.

I'm going to do my best to figure it out and will keep at it!