Advice please!

I started MFP 3 weeks ago, i am losing weight (4" on waistline, due check in tomorrow with weight!) but my question is this:

If I do exercise and see my calorie allowance go up, should i still only use my 1300 allowance or should I also have the extra?

Also if anyone wants to add me as a friend please do. My diary is open and you will find that i have replaced most of my meat intake with veggie variations and they are delicious.

if you want to ask me any recipes i do please ask away i would love to share with you.

oh and some advice i was given was to not tell yourself your on a diet but that you are changing your eating lifestyle and it works , I still treat myself now and again!!

Oh and Pizza Hut do these fantastic pizzas just for us called Pizzetta (460-470 cals a pizza!!) only 3 choices but with an unlimited Pepsi Max you are laughing!!

Ok TTFN

Replies

• kpye2011
    kpye2011 Posts: 40 Member
    I don't eat back all of my exercise calories.

I would love some good veggie recipes.
  • Astraea1976
    Astraea1976 Posts: 21 Member
    This is a low cal version of Mushroom Stroganoff it is still creamy and delicious, i love it and strangely enough so does my 11yr old fussy *kitten* child!!

To make 2 servings:
    kcal
    300g (10 oz) fresh mushrooms 60
    15g (1/2 oz) dried porcini mushrooms 48
    1 small onion, sliced 29
    1 clove garlic, thinly sliced 4
    15g (1/2 oz) butter 108
    60ml (1/4 cup) white wine 40
    120ml (1/2 cup) reduced fat creme fraiche 200
    salt and pepper to taste 5

Total 494

Around 247 kcal per serving

Start by soaking the dried mushrooms in boiling water. The packet we use recommends using 125ml of water. They need to soak for about 20 minutes.
    Melt the butter in a large, heavy based pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until it is soft and translucent.

Add the all the mushrooms including the water the dried mushrooms were soaked in. Stir well. Add the wine.

Allow to cook on a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has reduced. Just before serving, stir in the creme fraiche.

Serve this stroganoff with rice or pasta, whichever you prefer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I started MFP 3 weeks ago, i am losing weight (4" on waistline, due check in tomorrow with weight!) but my question is this:

If I do exercise and see my calorie allowance go up, should i still only use my 1300 allowance or should I also have the extra?

Also if anyone wants to add me as a friend please do. My diary is open and you will find that i have replaced most of my meat intake with veggie variations and they are delicious.

if you want to ask me any recipes i do please ask away i would love to share with you.

oh and some advice i was given was to not tell yourself your on a diet but that you are changing your eating lifestyle and it works , I still treat myself now and again!!

Oh and Pizza Hut do these fantastic pizzas just for us called Pizzetta (460-470 cals a pizza!!) only 3 choices but with an unlimited Pepsi Max you are laughing!!

Ok TTFN

Eat the extra exercise calories!
  • Astraea1976
    Another snippet is to add lentils to say chilli or stew or casserole as this not only bulks the meal up it is well hidden amongst the other ingredients. if your anything like me you can't stand the darn stuff!! I would say get the tinned ones that are soaked already or you will spend hours preparing them
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    There's some controversy on whether to eat exercise calories or not. If you count your lifestyle as active (work on your feet, walk a lot, lift things, etc.), I would just eat the "extra" exercise, like going to the gym or a workout. But I put my lifestyle as sedentary and then count going for a walk, bike ride, workout, etc. as extra and eat those back. It works for me!
  • Bjninja
    Bjninja Posts: 44
    I use my exercise to be able to eat more and still lose weight, because I LOVE eating, and I could never give it up. I will just say that I used MFP religiously for about 8 months, and I lost 20 lbs in that time. After I was doing well, I took a break, and well, I kinda gained it back, so this time I'm on MFP to stay!

My daily limit is about 1500 calories, but I burn anywhere between 300-600 calories a day working out in the mornings. I use that to justify a super delicious brunch at a trendy new restaurant every now and then, but I usually come in under my caloric limit because of my exercise. Simply stated, you can eat those calories back, or you can go without and shed pounds faster.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Eat the calories if you want. I eat them because some days, my initial limit just isn't enough. And some days I don't eat them, if I don't really want them.
  • Astraea1976
    Cool, i was under the assumption that if i exercise then that's more calorie burning off my eventual weight-loss!!

Happy days!!

Oh here's a share for people looking for low-cal recipes, i have used a few and they aren't half bad actually!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-recipes/

Good luck one and all
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    I usually eat about half my exercise cals back (depends if im hungry)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    You are totally on the right track with eating lifestyle change rather than diet.

I don't eat back my exercise calories, and even now that I've reached my goal I eat less than MFP suggests (especially with exercise), but I tend to eat higher protein than it recommends and way less carbs. I eat a lot of vegetables.

We are all different on calorie levels. Everything is estimates. Listen to your body and stay healthy and strong. The bottom line is if you need to lose and you are not then you need to eat less. If you are trying to maintain and you gain, then you need to eat less. If you get weak or are lean and lose size in your neck then you need to eat a bit higher. Do everything gradual, measure, listen to your body, adjust, repeat. :) Good Luck!
  • Astraea1976
    Thanks to all who have posted, i feel more inspired each post.

I wish i had kept this up the first time round as i would be so far ahead now!