Possible Knee Injury

Options
Okay so I've been doing the Couch to 5K over the last couple months. I've definitely been taking my time with it as I just completed week 4. Then last week I started Jillian's 30 Day Shred. I went for a run last night, and was planning on doing Shred tonight but when I got into work and sat down at my chair and tried to roll myself forward, I got pain in my knee. It's on the outside of the knee, next to the kneecap.

So 2 questions: what do you think the injury is? (I'm fearing a stress fracture) And do you have any suggestions for good cardio that don't involve the knees?

Replies

• racerscottw227
    Options
    Here's what I had, yours may not be the same. A few weeks into C25k I had some pain in my knee. I put ice on it intermittently and kept it elevated. (Remember: RICE) I also went to the doctor and got an opinion. He felt around my knee and said that I had probably irritated a tendon in that area. He also said to use Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation... and gave me a couple of anti-inflammatory pain meds (Aleve). After about a week of resting my knee, it felt better.

Like I said though, your pain could be different. If a week's rest with icing it and some anti-inflammatories don't help, I would consult a doctor.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Is the pain on on of the knee "bones" or next to it?? It sounds like it might be the tendons. Google some pictures of knee anatomy to try and find out which bit it is that hurts.
    Try standing in front of a mirror and do a 1 legged squat. look to see if your hips stay horizontal and your knee doesn't wobble around. that suggests weak glutes/ quads, which will cause trouble when running/ lunging etc.

I would suggest rest and ice for the 1st 24-48 hours, if its not better see a doctor/ physio for a diagnoisis.

Also note that quite a few ppl have complained of knee issues from 30 day shred.
    THough it could be from the running, was anything different in your last run (faster pace/ harder surface/ shoes) ?
    Though it sounds as if your taking the running at a good pace, i'm inclinded to say its more likely to be 30DS.
  • abbygrit
    abbygrit Posts: 19
    Options
    That's what I think it is - a tendon issue from the 30DS. My run was pretty normal last night, and I use POSE running so that's less impact on my knees anyway. And the 30DS is fairly new to the routine... I think it's the combination of the 2. And I really have not held back when doing that workout.

So I'll do like you guys have recommended. I'll be doing the RICE and hoping it heals a bit on its own.

I swear this happens just when you're hitting a good routine. Blurg!