Heart Rate Monitors

Options
What is a good starter one? I don't need the top of the line but i'd like one that is accurate and does the job. Also, what are your thoughts about Heart Rate Monitors? Are the uncomfortable?

Need all the 411 :)

Replies

• jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this also
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Do you have an iPhone or recent Android phone?

Polar makes a blue tooth HRM transmitter that can be used with smart phones and compatible apps.
    I use Digifit on my iPhone.

$80 for the transmitter. The app is free.
  • srhershey
    srhershey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a Sportline HRM watch that I bought at Walmart for $30. It works great, easy to use, and doesn't get in the way.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I love my polar ft4! Been using it for a long time and have never had any issues.

*edited to say: Make sure you get one with a chest strap.
  • eemorton
    eemorton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is the one I use. It's pretty basic, easy to use, very comfortable.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. $60 on Amazon.

Be sure that whatever you choose it comes with a chest strap. The cheapo watch only style are not going to be very accurate.
  • Tracy_03311981
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7, it tracks your Heart Rate and calories burned, it's a little on the expensive side, I paid around $75 for mine, but it's worth every single penny :)
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the Polar FT4! Love it!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40 and I really like it. No HRM will be 100% accurate. The chest strap is comfortable (don't even realize it is on once I'm in the zone and focused on my workout). Polar is a great brand and I don't think you can go wrong with a more basic model like the FT4 or FT7.
  • rdlangy1
    rdlangy1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    polar FT4 all the way

sigma are not bad either - but polar better
  • Brent_J
    Brent_J Posts: 54
    Options
    Polar FT7 - Works great. The chest strap doesn't bother me at all. I totally forget I'm wearing it. Although I did have to order the larger chest strap. The one that shipped with it was too small (for now).

I really enjoy mine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    What is a good starter one? I don't need the top of the line but i'd like one that is accurate and does the job. Also, what are your thoughts about Heart Rate Monitors? Are the uncomfortable?

Need all the 411 :)

Accurate for what?

Reading HR, their main purpose, anything with a chest strap will work great, as accurate as EKG basically.

Estimating calories based on HR, then Garmin and Suunto using Firstbeat algorithms first, Polar second, for accuracy.

Others can be tweaked for accuracy as long as you can enter age, weight, and HRmax stats.
    This tweaking would take some testing walking on treadmill at known pace, incline, time to nail the HRM changes.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sigma Omega - has a chest strap and is very comfy. The only criticism I would have is that if you are a larger bosomed lady like myself and wear an underwired bra the wires sometimes cause the chest strap to move and lose connection with the watch mid-workout which is VERY frustrating when you realise at the end of a sweat-fest that you didn't record the whole session :mad:

This is nothing to do with the HRM itself though - I had the same problem with the Polar I had before the Sigma!
  • vmerie
    vmerie Posts: 36
    Options
    Polar FT4 all the way!!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT7, it tracks your Heart Rate and calories burned, it's a little on the expensive side, I paid around $75 for mine, but it's worth every single penny :)

Bought mine on line at bodytronics.com coupon code is POPO saves you 5%
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info!! Amazon had the Polar FT4 for 62 which I didn't think was bad so I ordered it. Hope it gives me more accurate reading than MFP or the machines :)
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 is the one I use. It's pretty basic, easy to use, very comfortable.

this one is great! easy to use and not that expensive...
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Polar is what I use... chest strap is under my sports bra so I don't feel the difference. I love it.:smile:
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 (yes it has a chest strap) I've had since February and I love it. Hope you do, too. I paid about the same as you but from a different site. I also bought an extra chest strap so that I could alternate in case the other is in the wash and not dried yet. Make sure you rinse the strap after each use and put it in the wash every five wears or so.