HRM vs pedometer

Options
I had bought a pedometer a few months ago when I first started my weight loss journey. Through time I started learning how inaccurate they really are when calculating calories burned. A person's age and weight are variables when calculating calorie burn. So I bought a HRM last night and it seems to calculate my calorie burn 3x as fast as what it indicated on my pedometer. Is this HRM accurate??? It works solely on your heart rate correct? So did I really burn over 1000 calories from doing aerobics and jogging in place for an hr 1/2??? A couple times my heart rate was up in the Anaerobic Threshold Zone, so I had to take a small breathers. I was aiming for 60%-70% weight loss zone. But by the end of the session I was shocked how many calories I had burned. Today I have spent an hr cleaning vigorously (for me anyways) and it says 356 calories burned. There is no way, is there?? I am 235lbs and 37 so I am sure that makes some kind of difference?

Replies

• m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    A 1000 calories burned for 90 minutes of jogging and aerobics was probably right for your weight and age.

What HRM did you buy? I just bought a Polar FT7 yesterday
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I burned 891 doing cardio for 75 mins at Planet Fitness this morning, I weigh 220. So it is very possible at your weight to burn that much. When I take my bootcamp class I burn 1200 (average) in 1.5 hours. I however aim for 80-90% HR because I do not feel as if I am working hard in the lower rate. I like to feel exhausted after a work out. lol
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I have a Fitbit & a HRM. I only use the Fitbit for # of steps I've taken a day. And I only use the HRM when doing cardio to get an accurate calorie burn.
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Polar FT4. Still don't know much about it. I took it for a test run right after I got it. My calories burned was about 70 cals more than the "Map my run" app on my phone. I don't know which is right I'd like to think my Polar with the chest strap was more accurate it says I burned more....but I really don't know.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    The only experience I have is with a Fitbit ultra (high tech pedometer) and a HRM. The results I received between the two were quite close, and comparing caloric burn with online calculators they were also accurate.
    The Fitbit, uses your stats to set up approximate calorie burn per step taken so it may be more accurate than a simple pedometer. The only factor that affects it adversely is where on your body you wear it. The HRM is obviously very accurate, but I only wear it while on my spin bike, whereas the fitbit is on me pretty much 24/7.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I just would feel like I was lying if I said I cleaned my house for an hr half and burned 655 calories. That also includes running after a 3 yr old and trying to make them both happy lol
  • jasperann
    jasperann Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on if you say you are not active on your set up. I set mine to the lowest setting, so I would and do claim the calories when I mow the lawn or when I do weeding. I don't usually claim cleaning my house though, unless I'm moving stuff around or painting or something similar.