Same weight I use to be but look different

Options
2»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how I could incorporate strength training into my day without going to the gym?
    I'm not a member and cannot afford it :cry:

Do a google search for body weight exercises. It's a great way to start. There's a $1.99 app for a smartphone for "Be Your Own Gym," too.

Also, if any friends have a gym membership, many times they can take a guest. Ask if you can tag along once in a while.
  • Lalsh
    Lalsh Posts: 16
    Options
    You're all so good, thanks so much :smile:
  • MrOFM
    MrOFM Posts: 41
    Options
    You look good from what I can see in your profile pic. Just do some strength training and you will be good.
    Always remember that diet alone isn't enough for the (baby fat) areas that will need some exercise.

Eat good and some strength and core workouts. If you don't want to pay for app just search some youtube videos. Ab Ripper X from P90x is everywhere.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how I could incorporate strength training into my day without going to the gym?
    I'm not a member and cannot afford it :cry:

Actually there is anoter free app that I just found this week that is AWESOME for training at home! I'm very new to strength training as well and now I do it while watching tv so I dont feel so lazy, I love it! The app is called "Skimble" and it has a TON of workouts ranging from 5-60 minutes and from beginner to intense. There are different categories (abs, arms, weight loss, yoga, etc) to choose from and it's super easy to use. You can also create your own workouts. I recommend getting this app or go to skimble.com
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I never lose weight the same way. Especially because I haven't worked out the exact same each time I've lost weight. If you're lifting, or doing more of one exercise, you could be targeting different muscles than last time, and therefore, your body looks different. A yoga body is much different than a runner's body - different muscles targeted, different exercise...
  • Lalsh
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, much appreciated :smile: - I will definitely check out skimble.com, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    Honey if you're not exercising and you weigh the same as you did in the past but your weighing fat tissue as opposed to muscle tissue you will look different and you will be larger.
    Muscle mass is more dense than fat (so it appears to be smaller than a mass of fat) It's like not a cup of water is 8 ounces and a glass of soda is eight ounces. Its like a sack of flour is 10 pounds and an infant is 10 pounds. They're shaped and make of entirely different things.
    So just exercise and you'll lose a ton.

It sounds like you might be like me and not like to exercise. lol. I found an app called Workout trainer by skimble and its free (some are paid but you don't have to pay to use the free exercises). You can pick from thousands of exercises and it will count your calories and you use it on your phone so you can just be by yourself and it shows you how to do the exercises and you can pause and start over any time you like. It's a really solitary thing but you can learn lots of moves. And if it hurts you're doing it wrong or too much.

I think this is the same thing, but I can't say for sure since I just googled it.
    http://www.workouttrainer.com/

Either way, just find some sort of exercise you like to do, even if its just walking and you'll start to look like you used to.. and better yet, do what you used to do. If that's impossible (for me it is) then do something you never have but Can do. like yoga or something simple.

And after time you might actually start to weigh more than you used to but be smaller!!

Oh and now I see that someone else suggested the same app... cool.. at least you know its good. :wink:
  • Lalsh
    Options
    Ah thank you!! That's a great help, thanks for such great advice :smile:
    I will get off my lazy *kitten* and soon I will hopefully look like my profile picture!! :laugh:
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I wish it that was me in the pic!! I'm in my late 20s also!

Good to know, I was going to step into Mommy mode and say take that profile picture down, you look like you are 16!
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Read this! It may help explain why: http://www.coachcalorie.com/weight-loss-vs-fat-loss/
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the more your weight fluctuates the more it ends up in the middle. So a plus/minus 15 pound "yo-yo" dieter could end up skinny with a pot belly.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of getting the same results as you, but I figured that I use to have more muscle and now I think I may have more fat than muscle.. I'm actually lower than the weight I use to be, but don't look it. So I'm adding in strength exercises and am hoping to loss some more fat and tone up. That should work!
  • Lalsh
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The picture was taken down anyway so no need for mommy mode haha!, it was too explicit, oops! (Sorry!)
    I'm thinking it has to be the lack of muscle and probably a bit of yo yoing also, I gots me a
    bit of a pot alright! I have taken everything you have all said on board, thanks so much, wasn't expecting
    so many replies :smile:

*moves lazy *kitten* off couch*
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Oh, and when you start the streingth training, don't freak out if your weight goes up a bit. That's for 2 reasons:
    1) when you excercise your muscles and they ache a bit the next day as they're supposed to (otherwise you're not pushing yourself hard enough), they're holding on to water. This will come right off in a couple of days!
    2) muscle weighs more than fat - I don't know the exact ratio but it's like that primary school trick question: which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of iron? they're the same weight but iron takes up a LOT less space - so, if you're losing the fat and replacing it with muscle, it could be that you'll see an increase on your scales but a decrease in your measurements!