Blast from the past! Remember when..

Options

Replies

• Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I remember when the principal was allowed to spank you if you were in trouble at school and the urban legend around our elementary school that she had a paddle with holes in it hanging on her office wall, lol.

I remember when it was so cool to tease your bangs and wear them as high as you could get them. Other very cool styles from junior high... hypercolor tee-shirts we wore in gym that changed color when we got hot and sweaty. Pretty Cool, Huh water bottles and tees and black sunglasses with hot pink ear pieces. B.U.M. equipment newspaper sweatshirts, leather bomber jackets with the world map printing on the inner silk lining, ESPRIT bookbags, using sun-in on your hair in the summer to get that sunbleached look. oh, and every cool girl in the locker room used exclamation! perfume and Salon Selectives hair care products.

I remember when there was a smoking section in all restaurants and smoking was allowed inside the mall! There were ashtrays placed around the big fountain.

I remember when our tv only had channels 4,5,7,9,11,&13 and there was no remote just a dial on the set. The other channels just came in as snow. And we adjusted the rabbit ears for reception. And my mom would make me so mad when she would vacuum or run a kitchen appliance during Punky Brewster and screw up the picture!

I remember my 1st radio was a Poochie handheld radio but when I was about 10 yrs old I got a little pink boombox that was a radio and had a tape deck and I played my 3 tapes over and over (michael jackson, whitney houston, and madonna)

I remember in 3rd grade we got sent home from school the day the Challenger exploded. There was a teacher onboard and my class had been watching it live. I cried the whole way home.

I remember when we walked home from school when we lived a mile away. Nowadays I see the bus making stops every 2 blocks and the elementary school is only about 5 or 6 blocks away???

I remember when there was mostly only sitcoms on tv (plus a few 1 hr dramas like Dallas) and I still remember most of the theme songs. Why don't they have theme songs anymore? Admit it. you know you belt out the tune to Facts of Life or Growing Pains or Full House whenever you hear them! I liked Step by Step, Out of this World, and Perfect Strangers. Catchy tunes. But my fave show musta been the one about the coach with like 8 kids and I think 7 were girls? Just The Ten of Us!

Do I know you? Lol ALL of this. I use to use Sun in and bleach the hair on my arms lol and I remember if I used too much of it the tips of my fingers would turn white and dry out like paint lol. Exclamation lol was like the *kitten* and now you can buy it at any five and dime and its like still the same price and probably no one wears it anymore, or maybe they do. I also remember cupping our hands across our breasts and holding them there until they got warm while wearing our Hypercolor t shirts and walking around with hand prints on our boobs lol.

I use to rat out my entire head of hair but NOT the bangs lol and the more I ended up looking like one of the members of Poison the happier I was haha. I grew up in LA around all of these people when they were just getting started and at the Cathouse and remember getting all these fashion tips from all those glam boys back in the day, that's what I remember. I also remember Axl Rose peeing on my dads Porsche in like 1986 maybe, outside of the Roxy when he was just barely signed and high as hell and then he bought me a single rose because I threatened to beat his scrawny *kitten*, and then begged and offered to pay me (he had NO money btw) to drop his high as hell butt off at the Denny's on Sunset and Gower because you could buy really good drugs down there lol and now look at him. I remember when they were filming The Golden Girls at the Sunset and Gower studios across the street. Wow that was a long time ago haha. I still love the Golden Girls. That's what I remember.
    I also remember the days of men buying women single roses in nightclubs and dance clubs lol trying to get on our good side and/or get us on the dance floor. I remember when flashing your breast was not looked at as a bad thing lol. And it was ok to pull them out 50 times in one night as long as there was a band on stage haha. Oh man. I also remember back in the day when a chick would NEVER get backstage to a concert unless she was willing to have some sort of sexual contact with one of the crew members. Nowadays it's nothing and they're cool and let people hang out all the time. I know this because I work in this business ;)
    Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, not my intentions. :D
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I remember I Spy and New Zoo Revue. When Shaggy and Scooby never palled around with Scrappy. I remember leaving the house just after Saturday morning cartoons and not coming home until you could see the light of fireflies.

The day we brought home the Atari and how kick butt Space Invaders was to play.
    I was the the t.v. remote as well as the dish washer and on the weekends I also played lawn mowing service.

Awww the memories of the box fan as air conditioning, blessed was the day we go a ceiling fan...

I remember during the week it was homework before anything and if failed at school it was my fault and not the teachers.

I remember if I misbehaved the only time out I got was the time it took the belt to reconnect with my *kitten*.

LOL!!! I remember once when I was about to be paddled that I told my mom my friends just got time out and my mom looked at me like I was from the moon. And then she reddened my bottom good. Back then I got spanked once for saying "What?" when my mom called me from the next room. The only appropriate answers were Yes Ma'am or I'm coming. Now kids are allowed to act like wild animals! Last year I worked retail and heard a teenage girl cuss out her mama in a department store and I was waiting to hear a slap. Didn't happen.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I remember growing up and being disciplined and learning lessons. I remember that kids were respectful and had manners. Wish it was like that now, I can't stand other peoples' bratty little A-hole children :drinker:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    did anyone ever wear Jelly shoes called Jellies? now they have crocs smh

OH yes... had to have a pair of jellies!!
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I remember.......
    Having 3 channels on our black and white tv - one of which was french
    Getting our color tv and everything was brown and beige (because the shows were still black and white)
    Running home at lunch time to watch the flintstones at lunch
    Rotary phones
    Our 4 digit phone number
    watching Walt Disney every Sunday for their family movie
    Getting on the bus for a nickel (or a purchased plastic token)
    Hanging my arms out of the bus through the sliding windows on hot days
    Getting off a bus by pushing on a wooden gate (which were awful for catching bags and purses)
    groceries were always packed in paper bags
    smoking on a bus, in an elevator, anywhere really
    Playing outside until the street lights came on
    Favourite game - Red Rover or Hide n' Seek with ALL the neighborhood kids
    building a 'fort' using the clothes lines and blankets
    taking back pop bottles to the corner grocery store and bringing home cash or candy
    collecting bottle caps from the freezer style pop machines (had to drag the bottles through channels)
    going to the store with a nickel and coming home with a BAG of assorted candy - having a quarter was pure heaven
    buying a full sized chocolate bar for a dime
    bringing home a 6 pack of 16oz or 4 pack of 32oz pepsi in its handy card-board carrying case
    when mom made roast beef on Sunday it was the size of the roaster pan I have today (huge hunk of beef)
    milk being delivered to our door in glass bottles with cardboard tabs for tops
    transistor radios (pocket sized) were cool
    my portable record player that was in a suitcase

LOL ....... good times, good times :D
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Sockin' Boppers - more fun than a pillow fight!!
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    Remember when only pikachu would used to follow you around.
  • Jess207
    Jess207 Posts: 90
    Options
    anyone else have a swatch watch or clear phone in your room with the colorful parts inside?

YES!:laugh:
  • Jess207
    Options
    I remember the names of these two groovy characters:

lanceLinkDiana2.jpg

Who are they? :laugh:

Well, I left it off to see if anyone else might recognize them -- but I think "Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp" was a pretty obscure Saturday morning kids' show from the early 70's. That's Lance and his compatriot, "Mata Hairi".
  • Jess207
    Options
    I remember the names of these two groovy characters:

lanceLinkDiana2.jpg

Who are they? :laugh:

Well, I left it off to see if anyone else might recognize them -- but I think "Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp" was a pretty obscure Saturday morning kids' show from the early 70's. That's Lance and his compatriot, "Mata Hairi".
    TOO FUNNY!!
  • Jess207
    Options
    scrath and sniff stickers all over my copybooks
  • Jess207
    Options
    I remember.......
    Having 3 channels on our black and white tv - one of which was french
    Getting our color tv and everything was brown and beige (because the shows were still black and white)
    Running home at lunch time to watch the flintstones at lunch
    Rotary phones
    Our 4 digit phone number
    watching Walt Disney every Sunday for their family movie
    Getting on the bus for a nickel (or a purchased plastic token)
    Hanging my arms out of the bus through the sliding windows on hot days
    Getting off a bus by pushing on a wooden gate (which were awful for catching bags and purses)
    groceries were always packed in paper bags
    smoking on a bus, in an elevator, anywhere really
    Playing outside until the street lights came on
    Favourite game - Red Rover or Hide n' Seek with ALL the neighborhood kids
    building a 'fort' using the clothes lines and blankets
    taking back pop bottles to the corner grocery store and bringing home cash or candy
    collecting bottle caps from the freezer style pop machines (had to drag the bottles through channels)
    going to the store with a nickel and coming home with a BAG of assorted candy - having a quarter was pure heaven
    buying a full sized chocolate bar for a dime
    bringing home a 6 pack of 16oz or 4 pack of 32oz pepsi in its handy card-board carrying case
    when mom made roast beef on Sunday it was the size of the roaster pan I have today (huge hunk of beef)
    milk being delivered to our door in glass bottles with cardboard tabs for tops
    transistor radios (pocket sized) were cool
    my portable record player that was in a suitcase

LOL ....... good times, good times :D

Red Rover, red Rover, hot pink should come over! :laugh:
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Everyone's lists made me smile.

I remember jellies shoes, Smurfs and Snorkels early on Saturday mornings, taping the count down on cassette from the radio, Atari, original Cabbage Patch kids, garbage patch cards, My Buddy, rotary phones, phone numbers that began with letters (MU8-....), area codes covered the whole state, no email, no cell phones, no internet, knowing everyone in my neighborhood, respecting every adult as a child and knowing I would catch from my mom if she found out I didn't, this list could go on and on.

When I started college in 1993, it was a huge deal to have a word processor. We went to the computer lab to use actual computers and to the library (not internet) to do research. No one had a cell phone and it was a big deal when one of my friends had a laptop my sophomore year.

It's fun to reminisce...
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I remember buying fake candy ciggarettes from the ice cream truck as a kid lol.

yesssss- they were so yummy!!! FALSE ADVERTISING FOR SURE, though. (I've never smoked and never will)
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I have yet to read through the other responses- but I remember Light Bright being my FAVORITE toy.
  • slimmermomma
    slimmermomma Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I remember when MTV actually played music.

Me too - I don't know what the point is anymore
  • cjmcmillan
    cjmcmillan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I remember the Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family on Friday night TV......going to the neighbors for Saturday morning cartoons because they had the only color TV...I loved watching the Wacky Races and the Banana Splits.

I also remember going to the first game ever at Three Rivers Stadium to watch my Pirates play....and I can remember seeing them win 2 World Series championships!!
  • Jess207
    Options
    Remember some of these catch phrases from 70s commercials...

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" (margarine)
    "Hey Mikey, he likes it!" (Life cereal)
    "Ring around the collar!" (I forget the detergent) "Ancient Chinese secret!"
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin" Mr. Whipple
    "Roto-rooter, that's the name and away go troubles down the drain"
    "Mon-chichi, Mon- chichi, oh so soft and cuddly..."