Heart rate monitors

Options
OK I may buy a HRM today :heart: I'm really just guessing when it comes to putting in how many calories I burn when lifting weights, and I think I'm burning more than MFP says. I'm not too worried about cardio stuff the machines at the gym give me the number of calories burned.

I don't have alot to spend I was thinking around $50-$70, any tips on brands?

Replies

• gotwater
    Options
    Polartec and garmin both sell what you're looking for...but polartec would fall more into your budget. Also, just in case you run into some math trouble...cardio machines at the gym give you a rough estimate of how many calories you've burned. It just uses an equation but everyone's body and metabolism work differently. You may actually be burning more or less than what it says!
  • deamarie
    Options
    I LOVE MY POLAR F6
  • deamarie
    Options
    I LOVE MY POLAR F6
  • deamarie
    Options
    Most of the machines are not accurate anyway. Whatever monitor you buy, make sure it has a chest strap.
  • exercisediva
    Options
    Very good investment! Best money i ever spent! I would suggest a Polar. I have both a Polar and Nike and both are excellent.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    Polar F4 is a good one that will fall in your price range...it is around 70-80 bucks depending where you go. Just make sure you get a Hrm with a chest strap because the ones that are just watches are not near as accurate! Happy hunting!
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    Polar F4 is a good one that will fall in your price range...it is around 70-80 bucks depending where you go. Just make sure you get a Hrm with a chest strap because the ones that are just watches are not near as accurate! Happy hunting!

Sorry to disagree but my Mio Sport Select wristwatch model is always either right on or at most 1 or 2 beats off from the readings I get on either the treadmill or recumbent bike (both high quality machines made by True) at our fitness facility. And it also came with a pedometer with built-in FM Radio w/ earbuds. Package was known as the MIo Beat for about $40 before Christmas on sale.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I have a Reebok Pro-Form Precision Trainer XT HRM...I love it, very inexpensive and easy to use. I find that the machines are way off in numbers compared to my HRM.
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options

Sorry to disagree but my Mio Sport Select wristwatch model is always either right on or at most 1 or 2 beats off from the readings I get on either the treadmill or recumbent bike (both high quality machines made by True) at our fitness facility. And it also came with a pedometer with built-in FM Radio w/ earbuds. Package was known as the MIo Beat for about $40 before Christmas on sale.

How is it on calories? I bought one and it was wayyyy off on cals and distance, may b I got a bad one.
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Most of the Garmins or others that contain GPS will stop working if they sense you are not moving. So if your workouts are inside on equipment that stays in one place rather than outside running a HRM with GPS is not for you, or do they make one you can turn off the GPS so it still registers you HR and calories burned?
  • 34at35
    Options

How is it on calories? I bought one and it was wayyyy off on cals and distance, may b I got a bad one.

Calorie counts are less on my HRM than what the machines say. BUT, I set my weight and resting heart rate in it when I first got it, early in the morning. I work out late in the day after work and my weight is always higher than it is in the morning so I enter it into the treadmill to calculate calories burned. Normally almost 4 lbs more.

Since I am trying to be consistent in what I record in MFP and began recording long before I got the HRM , I record the numbers from the machines in my diary instead of what the HRM says. When I golf, walk or ski on weekends, I will enter the numbers from the HRM instead of using the MFP database numbers, though.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love my polar F6, but It's not always in synch with what the machines say. I usually burn more than what the machines say I burn.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I will second the fact that my Polar F6 says I burn more cals on the cardio equipment. Approximately 10-40 cals more at least.
  • pjansen
    pjansen Posts: 19
    Options
    My SIGMA P14 from Performance Bicycles works fine. I've heard complaints about them, but I've never had a problem
    and it's about half the price of a Polar at $49.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    OK I got a sportline 910. Could have shopped around more, but I'm like a kid sometimes and when I want something I want it right then! It's very basic. Tells you calories burned based on heart rate, nothing else. I didn't have to put in weight ect, ect, ect... It will work for what I want it for. My main concern was not knowing how many calories I was burning during weight lifting. I know weights don't burn that much, but some times my heart rate gets up there! It will also be nice in the summer when I walk the dog and stuff. Maybe in the future I'll buy a more accurate one, but this will do for now :wink:

I haven't exercise with it yet, but I took my heart rate with the watch doing random tasks like resting, walking... ect then took my own pulse doing the same things. It was dead on all the times I did it. I'll know tomorrow when I go to the gym how it handles high heart rates:tongue:
  • 34at35
    Options
    Great! Hope you enjoy it. Today is a weights day for me. I do a routine of different machines or exercises quickly with practocally no break in between - only the time it takes to put the weight on or the pins in, depending on the machine. Try to match muscles groups (e.g bicep then tricep) against each other or upper body muscles then lower body muscles.

Love the tingles I feel in them when I'm done.