Fat girl in a swim suit

Options

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    How much time do you have before the vacation?
  • Krissi921
    Krissi921 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You look great! My MIL is a size 6 and all of my SIL are super tiny too. I just dress the nicest I can and remember what my mom always told me, the best thing you can wear is a smile! You've got a boyfriend, you're going on a vacation. Be confident in yourself and enjoy! If they have a problem with you, well, it's THEIR problem. Not yours!
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    what i would do....and this is just me.....i would wear jean shorts that come to the knee and a tank top. tell them you are currently dieting to lose weight and are just not comfortable enough yet to wear a bathingsuit. im sure they will understand and admire you for trying to lose weight. like i said, thats just what i would do if it were me. good luck and hope you have a wonderful time!
  • shell6469
    shell6469 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Life is short. If you love him, this will not be the last vacation you take with them. They will come around eventually. For now, take a friend or family member shopping with you... Go pick out a swimsuit that you can put on and feel your best in... On the other hand, you could also swim in a T-shirt (sport bra beneath) and a pair of those thigh fitting bike type shorts that go down to about mid upper leg... Be as comfortable as possible though, if you are not, you will not have a very good time and it will affect everything about you...
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    i just seen your pic in the bathingsuit and you look fine! yes....i would wear it!
    you made your weight sound worse than you look. go for it girl!!
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    YOU look GREAT! That's an awesome suit.
    If you hadn't found it, i was going to suggest the site i got my suit from: www.alwaysforme.com
    They have some AWESOME plus size suits for young people.

Good luck! You'll do just fine. :drinker:
  • fingerscrossed75
    fingerscrossed75 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Land's End makes awesome swim shorts for women. Swim shorts with a longer Tankini top might just do the trick. :)

ETA: Just saw your pic and you look fantastic! I love your suit.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely HOT in that suit! You have nothing to worry about!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Buy a really light sun dress and wear your bathing suit under it. Take it off if you swim in the water and then put it back on.

ETA: Just saw the pic you uploaded.. all you need is confidence because you look amazing in that swimsuit. Forget the sundress!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Torrid.com

I CANNOT EXPRESS ENOUGH, how flattering their swimsuits are. They have a bit of give in the gut area and are fantastic!

Prepare to pay an arm and leg though...
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I think you look terrific! Work it, girl! It is hard not to compare ourselves to others - but try to have a great time!
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If u dont feel 100% happy and relax arround them, u dont really have to go ....

^^^^ This^^^^

To be honest, I only hang out in my swimming suit with those I feel I can trust.... These are more everyday as I build my confidence through hard work through personal development. But it is strictly on my own time and at my own pace.

Disclosing a history of self harming to your in-laws is not something to take lightly, particularly when you say that they have been very rejecting of you. Check with other people, and do ONLY what you feel ready and safe to do... you are in charge.

Do what you need to do to be safe, if they are nasty about large people who could judge you from saying thanks but no thanks!?

Still, if you decide to go make sure you have support available to you.

xoxoxoxo
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    Whenever they start to say things that may be negative, bring the conversation back around to them! People like that LOVE to talk about themselves. As far as what they say about you when you aren't around, who cares! Your BF loves you and wants you in his life regardless of what his family thinks, so I'd say you are the winner anyway! I think you look great!!
  • yukifer
    yukifer Posts: 41
    Options
    Treat yourself to a spray tan before you go - it'll help hide your scars and make you look slimmer and more toned. And if you hear any comments - don't c0ck a deaf ear - challenge them, politely. Otherwise they'll eat away at you. xxx

Really great advice. What she said.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    You should wear it proudly!! <3 Don't let them force you to cover up. Show them that you don't give a *kitten*! =)
  • ftellstrom
    ftellstrom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I purchased a two piece swim suit at either target or sears (cant remember) the bottoms were basically shorts they had zipper and everything. I felt so much more comfortable in that suit than my regular panty type bottom. I didnt feel naked running about on the beach. =)
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's late in the season, but if you are self-conscious about the scars, maybe you could get a suit that has a skirt or board shorts. that is, if you don't want to deal with it.

You can't help being who you are - and he loves you for who you are. Just be yourself and address any questions they bring to you with confidence and honesty with as much discretion as you want to use.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    So to my great delight, after 4 years of dating, my boyfriends family has extended an invitation to me to join them on a family vacation. I really want to be thrilled and over joyed that they are finally coming around on me being in their son's life BUT I will spend a week on a boat in a swim suit with them......I'm a US size 18.....the next biggest girl is his mom, who wears a 6, and then his sister wears a 4. The men, my BF included are all well over 6 feet tall (my man is 6'1" and 160 pounds - and the shortest - though not the most muscled of the pack). If they were all just skinny I wouldnt care - but man oh man can they judge!!!!!! His mother does zumba and is always yalking about this woman who "MUST WEIGHT AT LEAST 200 POUNDS!" and I'm in the corner thinking "so 20 pounds LESS than me?"I can dress my body well to flatter and hide....but there's no where to hide in a swim suit....help!

*EDIT* Im also really self conscious for another reason too....I've been healthier for about two years now but I used to be pretty heavily involved in self mutilation....something my boyfriend knows all about, but his family doesn't. My thighs are covered in scars. That really worries me.

I don't have much bathing suite advice, except to try to find one(s) you like yourself in, some will be better than others. As for the scars, I have a considerable number of self-mutilation scars, but I have found over the years, I think they are *much* more noticeable than other people do. I was shocked that my husband, who notices things, hadn't noticed that I have scars running from my ankles to knees (we've been together 5 years). I think these scars are obvious, but other people just don't see them. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for the burn scars on my arms, for these, if anyone ever asks about them, I just say "they're burn scars" in a casual tone of voice, and the vast majority of people don't ask further questions.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    So here goes nothing - I figure if I can survive the internet seeing it I can survive his family seeing the same thing

7a4a3001.jpg

203cae2a.jpg

WEAR THIS! =) You do look very good! If you are worried about scars carry a cover up
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Psh, make them uncomfortable then. Get a bikini and be like "please I'm fabulous". But in all seriousness, who cares what they think. You've been with your man for 4 years, and I'm sure he's seen you in a bathing suit or less and CLEARLY loves you the way you are. Scars, 20 lbs over his moms idea of perfect, and all. Hold your head high and forget what they think.

My aunt married into a snooty family, they made my granma feel like she was too old to do anything on her own, and she is not. My granma complained she hated it, so during the wedding dinner while we sat with them, I did everything to make them feel uncomforatble about me. From my love for a guy 10 years older and wanting to marry him, to my sister having a baby from someone she didn't know! The woman ended up leaving. I wouldn't go as far as I did in your case.

Just keep your head up, walk proud, and know your boyfriend loves your body.